• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:51 AM

Hi again peeps, another option for u peeps. Tbh I think the bayonet's fill the melee role well enough, but the option is always there. Is it really worth coding new animations etc just for a knife? that I leave upto you.

#2 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Is that supposed to be a KA-BAR?
Posted Image

#3 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

I think so yea, its trying to pretend to be a potato peeler though...cant you tell:D This is the ref image I used, in retrospect I should have looked for more angles (thickness etc D:)

#4 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:15 PM

Yah you got it pretty wrong, no offense. Here's a good model to use as a ref, though the model itself is plagued with smoothing errors, so good luck.

link
Posted Image

#5 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:23 AM

Your version is definitely alot more professional looking than mine without question, at the cost of poly's mind you :D I was either going to model the blade seperate like you did , although in the end I just kept everything welded.

I did a little test and found out that I can save 8 tri's! by not welding the blade. Instead,is it called...culling (deleting) the backface?

You have everyright to say its not accurate because it isnt, I will fix this rest assured.

Where you have used a boolean on the blade Im guessing that could be texured, although on the other hand I suppose it would look super flat from some angles. (although in saying this the ammount of poly's saved by not using a boolean wouldnt really give any real world performance increases. I will defo use the boolean to make this thing 100% accurate) If you didnt use boolean ...soz:D if so how else did u manage this?

I will definetely make it 100% accurate and definitely take away some pointers from yours.

We should both try and texture them at some point and re-post.
btw I only made this as a tutorial for sum1 who doesnt have a clue how to model.

Thanks again

#6 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

Btw the smoothing errors you mentioned I think I may have fixed them...maybe.
try exporting the file as an Obj, then reset 3ds max and re-import it, it seems to have fixed it. Hope this helps, also do you ever use "retriangulate"? im guessing you do as this is a really cool feature in max, although "turning" triangles manually sometimes is the best way.

Concerning the flat triangle bit on the handle, just before the guard, how did you know that 16 segments all the way round would be perfect for it?

The only thing I would do different to this if this was my model is that I wouldnt have as much resolution on the end of the handle...I tried it with 2 rows of poly's less and it didnt look any diff really.

Overall excellent work id say

#7 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

883 tri's...beat that:D I think I might have just got r.e.s.t.e.c.p (Ali G style) back.

#8 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

Looks pretty legit, any release for mesh??? I'll wrap it if you want.
Posted Image

#9 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hey, This is a more optimised version which includes double the ammount of detail on the guard so that it isnt completely hexagonized:D Notice the blade tip also has less detail but still looks half decent.
Concerning the unwrap, I wanted to and always do try and keep the unused space to a minimal, although in saying this I had to scale for example the guard a bit bigger than it needs to be in order not to waste too much space.

#10 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

I forgot to add that although Im making the texture at 1024x1024 that gives me the possibility of shrinking it to 512x512 which would be usefull for LOD's I guess. Although I have zero experience of LOD's.

#11 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

LOD mesh uses mipmaps for the texture, so no need to shrink. Dude don't overlap the blade, give every part on the mesh it's own unique UV space, so you can bake some maps, otherwise they won't work.
Posted Image

#12 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hey again, I did a little bit of reading and I think you are right about merging uv's and normal maps crying:D Apart from zbrush and crazy bump (which is awesome, not free though for a good reason...awesome program)

Are there any other automation programs you can think of that I can import a grayscaled or colour map and convert that into a normal map?
Btw I wont be able to texture this for a while as I have a lot of work to do atm, but I will defo get it textured with a diffuse, spec and normal bump map, although having a normal bump map on this I Personally dont think its necessary.

#13 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

This is the last time I hope I will spam this thread before the thing in complete. Im also gonna type this with zero knowledge or experience as I havent experimented with game engines myself. I guess its ok in this day and age to allow 1 model to have a diffuse,spec and normal bump map and for the engine to cope with it.

What do you peeps think or am I typing total twaddle?

#14 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

You can't convert diffuse or grayscale to a normal map, that is only a bump map. A normal map requires you to have a low poly model projected onto the high poly model. The low poly needs UV coordinates, but the high poly doesn't. You can also use a height map to create a normal map, but once again, that requires a high poly model. If you want to convert your diffuse into a bump map, use the NVidia plugin for photoshop, set it to a 4x4 filter with a min of 0 and max of 1. If you want to overlay that on top of a normal map, you need to select the blue channel, halve it to 127, and set the layer as an overlay, so now you got a normal bump map. Crazy bump is a terrible program to do bump maps for view models, as it bakes the textures too high, and it looks terrible. Crazy bump is a great program for map textures, not weapon. If you want to bake normals, just use 3ds. Allign your two models, select the low poly, hit bake texture, enable projection and select the high poly model, add new map-normals map, select your size, and click render.

But if you want to see this in with the UT engine, normal maps and bump maps are a waste of time, as it required extensive addons to the engine to support it.
Posted Image

#15 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

Random note...is it me or is there a new font on the front page title header >^.^< me thinks its presents time soon:D

Here is the finished article, I was trying to go on a whole stalker vibe...well kinda. Thanks Young for the photoshop plugin. I also have Xnormal and didnt even realise that was a photoshop plugin either:D double bonus

#16 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:07 AM

Oh does any1 know how to use ambient occlusion maps just out of interest?

#17 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

I told you if you send me files, I'll make a video.
Posted Image

#18 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

That would be very nice of you to do that. Give me your email address and the files are yours.

#19 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

I have tried uploading the mesh as a .3ds and .obj but it wont let me. You will have to give me your email or i give u mine. superbucket01@hotmail.co.uk

#20 Bommel

Bommel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

Err..,just zip it or rar it with WinRAR?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users