23 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

I keep hearing people calling this the Il2 sequel after stumbling upon some in-game footage on Youtube. Some of the Youtube videos show rain droplets forming on the cockpit window as you pass through a puffy white cloud. =]

So is there anyone into flight sims or actually plays this game? If so, let me know what you think of it. I'm so tempted in buying it, but will wait to get the 411 on it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Developer: Gaijin Entertainment
Language: english
Genre flight sim
Official site: here
Version: 1.0.2.1 final

http://yuplay.com/st... ... nvite=1152
http://www.airwargame.com/eng

#2 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

Fuck me running, that's purrdy!

I don't even play combat flight sims but I want this! :D
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#3 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

Hell yeah. Not only do you get rain droplets on your windshield, but when you are trailing someone that is smoking you'll get oil on your windshield.

Here are some videos.
... _embedded#
http://noassholes.net/

#4 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

"Gaijin Entertainment announces the development of new historical flight simulator "Wings of Prey", exclusively for PC platform.

"Wings of Prey" is based around the large-scale aerial combat and ground military operations of World War II. Players can participate in some of the war’s most famous battles piloting fighters, battle planes and bombers across a range of thrilling missions. There are six theatres of war to engage in – The Battle of Britain, Stalingrad, Ardennes, Berlin, Sicily and Korsun' representing the main airborne battles of World War II in Europe.

“Wings of Prey” also boasts an all new damage effects engine as well as advanced environmental visuals enriching the game play. “Wings of Prey” features hundreds of airplanes taking part in air battles. The unique environmental engine also produces highly detailed, realistic landscapes that allow players to see breathtaking ground support actions.

Game features:

# Authentic World War atmosphere: Cutting edge technologies with highly detailed visuals bring the epic battles to life;

# Engage in more than 50 missions from famous historical battles over Eastern and Western Europe;

# Historically accurate aircrafts: Experience over 40 planes including fighters, battle planes and bombers. Learn to master Spitfire, Mustang, Messerschmitt and many more;

# Flexible difficulty level system: from arcade to realistic simulation;

# Downloadable content support: more planes and missions are coming next year;

# Support of 6-DOF TrackIR, TripleHead2Go, Saitek and Thrustmaster joysticks, mouse and voice headsets;

# Thrilling multiplayer: 4 game modes to choose; VoIP, lobby game system, leaderboards, friends lists, join-in-progress and host migration features provide great experience;

# Realistic sound effects and original music from Jeremy Soule [list][/list]"

#5 Sepp_Wurmheller

Sepp_Wurmheller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

I am an avid flight simmer, have been for quite a few years.I fly IL2 and have since it was in beta form.Its progressed into hands down the best WWII combat flight sim out there.Wings of prey was designed for consoles I think, but has a PC version that has more flyable planes and some other extra features.Its not the sequal to IL2, that is supposed to be released in 2010 and is called "Storm of War" and is focused on the Battle Of Britain.That release will take flight sims to the next level and beyond, its an amazing work in progress.
BOP looks pretty good, and I would recomend it if your not a hardcore flight simmer looking for the highest level of flight model and realism.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

I am an avid flight simmer, have been for quite a few years.I fly IL2 and have since it was in beta form.Its progressed into hands down the best WWII combat flight sim out there.Wings of prey was designed for consoles I think, but has a PC version that has more flyable planes and some other extra features.Its not the sequal to IL2, that is supposed to be released in 2010 and is called "Storm of War" and is focused on the Battle Of Britain.That release will take flight sims to the next level and beyond, its an amazing work in progress.
BOP looks pretty good, and I would recomend it if your not a hardcore flight simmer looking for the highest level of flight model and realism.

Thanks for informing me of what the true sequel is. I heard of BOP, but I keep hearing that it will never come out or doesn't really exist, and this is from the flight sim community and simHQ.com. But when I stumbled upon Wings of Prey - Birds of Prey being the console version - I was amazed at the detailed environment. It seems the developers are serious about their community and have stated they are very much planning on dedicated servers and other goodies, but SDK seems to still be missing for the to-do list.

#7 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Posted last night on the WoP forums.

I was getting asked by quite a few folks as to how good WoP is, so I made a 3 part video review.

As of right now (12/28/09 10:15PM EST) Parts 1 & 3 are still being processed, so their resolution will be a bit grainy.

Part 1 - GUI Exploration

Part 2 - Basic flight dynamics and enviroment

Part 3 - Dogfight mechanics and conclusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQ0LodtzTM

When it comes to simulators, we all look at the flight models. In WoP's case, they are stable and not an arcade plane called a sim. There's room for further developing each plane's flight model, but it was surely not a disappointment flying any of them either.

The world detail is extremely impressive and immersive. I was also very pleased at how smoothly the game ran at higher settings.

The effects are a very nice touch too. My only critique's on the effects at this point are:

1) Make the moisture droplet size from passing through a cloud proportionate to the volume of the cloud. Right now, it's just the amount of droplets that's proportionate, not the size.

2) The oil splatter effect is a wonderous touch! In the case of an flight engine the oil will emerge as droplets at those speeds. The oil needs to hit the window in the form of a spray and NOT disappear. Oil doesn't magically disappear. It will train pilots not to follow directly behind a leaking plane

I am having alot of fun in the game and am exceptionally pleased at the visual challenge of locating and identifying planes over the detailed terrain. Keep it up! Glad I purcahsed WoP and am recommending it to other simmers and gamers!

Total of NoAssholes.net

#8 Sepp_Wurmheller

Sepp_Wurmheller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

Its not a myth, and the developer(Oleg Maddox) gives regular updates on its developement.You can keep up with the progress here:
http://forum.1cpubli...read.php?t=2040

I would like to give WOP a try, would be interesting to see how it stacks up.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

Its not a myth, and the developer(Oleg Maddox) gives regular updates on its developement.You can keep up with the progress here:
http://forum.1cpubli...read.php?t=2040

I would like to give WOP a try, would be interesting to see how it stacks up.

Yeah, I don't know what to think of it after reading simgHQ.com and other flight sim forums. So I guess I'll believe the sequel exists once I'm playing it. And as far as WOP, I like how the developers are making tweaks and patching the game every week. Hell, there is even a thread with someone complaining that the game is getting two patches a day. lol I'm just amazed at their imagination to add such things as oil and water on the windshield.

The only thing I'm curious about is the current maps as large as the ones found on il2? I know right now the MP is said to be 32. Isn't 32 way to small a flight sim?

#10 Sepp_Wurmheller

Sepp_Wurmheller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

32 players is good, depends on size of map and how the missions are set up.IL2 has 50 player dogfight servers, but i think cooperative online missions are 32 player max.I dont know much about how the MP is set up and the different modes with WOP, so cant really compare.All I know is right now with an Allied ONLY single player campaign(no Luftwaffe campaign) I'm not rushing to jump in.
WOP "looks" great, but it will take more than new eye candy to develope and sustain a community as large as what IL2 has.With a 50$ price tag I cant afford to invest in an unproven newcomer, so I'll definately be keeping up and following WOP's progress.Competition benefits everybody so i truly hope WOP is ready for the long haul and works to set the new standard.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

Because of you guys I just bought Il 2 on steam it's
4,99 this weekend :D
Posted Image

#12 Sepp_Wurmheller

Sepp_Wurmheller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Because of you guys I just bought Il 2 on steam it's
4,99 this weekend :D

let me know if you need any help, there are some pretty cool options to play either online or offline.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

Make sure it's patched up to 4.09m. And download Hyperlobby, since you need that to browse servers and join them.

#14 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:54 PM

BF 109 comparison in WoP and il2.

#15 Sepp_Wurmheller

Sepp_Wurmheller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

very cool, thanks Hans!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Father Ted

Father Ted

Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hans - where do you play IL2? I've dabbled a bit in online play, but I'd like to find a server with some "friendly faces".

#17 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hans - where do you play IL2? I've dabbled a bit in online play, but I'd like to find a server with some "friendly faces".

I go by wakawaka (Fozzy Bear) in HyperLobby. I usually play on Skies of Fire or Skies of Valor (keep forgetting the name of the server).

#18 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

Wings of Prey is now out on Steam.
http://store.steampo....com/app/45300/

#19 Creepy

Creepy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

So I played the demo. I didn't have a stick plugged in, and I used the default keys.
Holy crap, I needed 3 or 4 hands to fly, shoot, and look around. I'm halfway certain it's easier with a stick and custom layout though.
It really is a pretty game. You even get shells coming out of the plane. Sound effects work well enough for people who aren't serious sticklers. Shooting down the He 111s seemed rather easy, but I wouldn't know how that compares to IRL.
The crew sure as heck got out of the plane awful fast lol

Posted Image

Anyone else try it yet?

#20 Father Ted

Father Ted

Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Nice screenie Creepy. Does the sea really look like that? Those would be some massive waves...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users