• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 {SHD}Metalbourne

{SHD}Metalbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

Those of you who know me know I used to run a website called Theatre Of Conflict (TOC) that was realism campaigns and worked well for awhile until it eventually fell apart like all campaigns. I would love to have a campaign website like Forgotten Honor/WW2 Online for DH. I'm looking for ideas from the community/ help to get one off the ground again. I miss playing in a "Realism" campaign. So here are some questions for the community.....

1. Is there a audience for such a Campaign any more?

2. Do you play with assigned units or play as your clan/unit you represent? THis is always tricky because I love playing as a certain Allied unit (3rdAD), there may never be enough Allies to make sepreate units, so for Allies I like the idea of any unit/clan or individual can fight as any unit.

3. Unit size - Did you like being assigned reinforcements every turn like we did before or start with a very large unit and can only fight with a percentage every turn?

4. Battles - Should it only be 1 life or allow some type of respawn?

I still have the TOC website and would be willing to reopen it if I knew there was a interest in it. Just would like some feed back please.

Thank you
Posted Image

#2 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Provided it is a realism campaign the SS-Division “Das Reich” will always be interested. I have been trying very hard as of late to try and organise battles but nobody is willing to commit themselves. So yes we are up for it as long as you can find some allies for us to fight.

Edit: in regards to re-spawns I would do one life per round. Re-spawns just gives an unrealistic feel and makes for a very disorganised and disjointed battle.

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann
Posted Image
SS-Obersturmführer u. Zugführer i. d. 1./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt "Deutschland"

#3 {SHD}Metalbourne

{SHD}Metalbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

{SHD} is always up for "Realism" battles, we just don't have a DH server atm to host anything (plan on getting one soon). It's very discouraging to see lack of interests for "Campaign" for this mod. I'm more then willing to get it going, but it looks like there's not enough intrest in it to make it worth while.
Posted Image

#4 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

The allied units in this MOD are extremely battle shy. I am sure that remark will piss allot of people off but it is the truth. I know as I have been trying to arrange battles since TOC ended and since then have only been able to secure two. Most units will not commit themselves. The ones that do come up with excuses at the last minute. That has happened to me several time as well. So it is likely that this will be a campaign consisting of the SHD and SS-Division “Das Reich”. Which on the plus side will be allot easier to organise.

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann
Posted Image

#5 {SHD}Metalbourne

{SHD}Metalbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:21 AM

That could be a good thing, just 2 units fighting. We could bring an infantry unit in too would be nice 2vs2 units and have each unit backup the other unit in case of lack of players. On a bad day SHD still can field at least 15 guys (like we had today). Maybe I will reactivate the TOC just for our 2 units to fight. What do you say?
Posted Image

#6 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

I am up for it and I know for a fact that the rest of the SS-Division "Das Reich" is. We can field about 30+ on a good day and some where in the 20's on a bad one. So we shouldn't have any trouble getting enough for the German side. We would need a couple of weeks to finish off our current training schedule then we are ready. But if necessity dictates we are ready to fight now.

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann
Posted Image

#7 No.3 Clark

No.3 Clark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

The allied units in this MOD are extremely battle shy.

Pfffttt, fine we'll fight you Hoffmann despite being a 10th of the size of some allied units around these parts...

But really, we were in the roster for the new TOC campaign as the 51st so we will join this one as No.3 if possible. SHD can count on the infantry support of No.3 Commando. As long as the campaign is based in realism we will fight alongside you. We're relatively small, 15/16-20 depending on the day but will fight all the same.

Hope to keep in touch with both of you to keep the Commando up to date on details, but for now I'm off to untwist my arm.

Capt.Clark
.1 Troop HQ
No.3 Commando

ich werde entsteint

you have to play realisticly, no running and running crap lol

#8 misc

misc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

I've noticed most of the allied squads aren't large enough to take like 25 people to a server, so it might be difficult to get a big squad like 2nd SS to trim it down to 16 or 20

#9 Friedrich Werner

Friedrich Werner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:52 PM

let me know if I can help metal

#10 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:09 AM

@misc

The way my unit is set up we need at least 26+ slots really to be deployed in a atomically correct way. Two squads and the platoon troop is about 24 men already and thats before we look into StuG support which is another three men a vehical. However not many people have a 60 slot server, not only that but they don’t run to well. We can make do with 25 slots but we drop people off to fit in. As for the allies the idea is two allied units would team up to fight us. Which is fun because we get to beat two units at the same time :wink: (that last line was a joke...)

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann
Posted Image

#11 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

@misc

The way my unit is set up we need at least 26+ slots really to be deployed in a atomically correct way. Two squads and the platoon troop is about 24 men already and thats before we look into StuG support which is another three men a vehical. However not many people have a 60 slot server, not only that but they don’t run to well. We can make do with 25 slots but we drop people off to fit in. As for the allies the idea is two allied units would team up to fight us. Which is fun because we get to beat two units at the same time :wink: (that last line was a joke...)

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann

In theory you should easily be able to get 64 slots on this game with a nice server. Hell, I don't see why you can't get 100. I mean there are two servers I know that run Arma2 with 100 slots and we all know how demanding that game is on server and client.

When I get around to it, I might just pull out my server I had built last year that has dual core and 4 gigs of ram. Then I'll be able to test out how many slots we can run.

#12 misc

misc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

Oh I completely agree.

To get a really good (in my opinion) match going, you need 60 slots.

Even if you do not use your 30, it is nice to have the ability to call in others.

On the flip side, it seems every match is attack-defend... which makes it typically harder for the attacker as, well, an even force attacking a defended area with an even number of defenders is mighty darn hard to do without some heavy fire support.

#13 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

As for the 64 slot server I would love one, what I wouldn’t love would be to pay for it. :lol:

As for attacking being harder than defending that is defiantly true. When you are attacking without numerical superiority or some kind of advantage lets say the attacking team is given a certain amount or artillery support. Without something of that nature only the most well co-ordinated and spirited assaults will succeed. Even so high casualties are always to be expected. But for some reason I quite prefer to be on the offensive I am never keen on sitting and waiting to be attacked. I like to be one with the initiative.

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann
Posted Image

#14 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

It only cost me $54 a month to host it in Dallas, Texas on a Peer1 network, which is very good for gaming. I had two 32 slot DOD:S servers running on it lag free.

#15 {SHD}Metalbourne

{SHD}Metalbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

Werner, I could always use your help buddy. I think we've decided to do Battle Of the Bulge or (Wacht Am Rhein). The scenerio would be Axis trying to make it to certain point on the map in a certain amount of time due to lack of Petrol/Supplies. I was thinking about focusing in on a part (South East of Bastogne) and basicly the Allies try to hold on and slow down the Axis until Patton Arrives by turn (Whatever).

Website - I'm in the process of getting it changed over to a new domain name www.rocampaigns.com. Unfortunetly someone stole Theatre Of Conflict name from me. It will be the same site and if you were already signed up on the TOC site you won't need to signup again. I will let you know when it's up.

Rules will be just like the old TOC realism (1 Life) and the rules that go with it. As for the server, let me know how much and I can pay for it I just don't want to run it.
SHD plus PK and No.3 Commando would easily field a full 25 to 40 guys probably. So i'm all for bigger server the better.

I would like someone to start making a campaign map please. We came up a list of game maps that can be used and I will make it interactive flash like I did before. I could also use some cool photoshop images of Wacht Am Rhein (About 500x500) for the site if anyone wants to help.
Posted Image

#16 LSchroll

LSchroll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Not speaking for my fellow Kameraden, a new realism campaign in RO/DH is an exciting prospect and one which I'd love to take part in.

Good work, Metalbourne!
Posted Image
SS-Untersturmführer u. Zugführer Lukas Schroll
SS-Panzer-Regiment 12 'Hitlerjugend'

#17 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Reinhard might be able to help out with the campaign map. I will direct him to this thread when I see him next.

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann
Posted Image

#18 {SHD}Metalbourne

{SHD}Metalbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

Okay, the site is backup and I'm getting things updated. Please feel free to go there now, but Commanders do "NOT" signup your members yet please to the new campaign.

It's the old TOC website so you should already be signed up on the website itself. :D

www.rocampaigns.com
Posted Image

#19 {SHD}Metalbourne

{SHD}Metalbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Okay, I made a map (let me know what you think of it). I updated most if not everything on the site to R.O.C.

I updated the SignUp (Unit/Individuals), and all of the Modules,

Allied War Room
Allied After Action Report

Axis War Room
Axis After Action Report

I basicly need to know how big to make this campaign. Should we make it 2 units vs 2 units? Take a look at what I've done so far please and give me some feed back. (The units are not correct, neither is the amount of men/equipment).
www.rocampaigns.com
Posted Image

#20 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

The map is good, should do the job well.

Regards
Ernst Hoffmann
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users