• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

Re-skins...enjoy...or throw your monitor out of the window in rage.

#2 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Looking pretty good man!
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#3 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

the grenades look awesome!
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#4 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Here is the final version of the Kabar (new grip) http://www.postimage...e.php?v=TsgNEdA
Funny how things look good at the time then as time goes by you realise they could be better^^

important to add is that this is NOT a wwii version of the kabar...gotta move with the times:D

#5 LSchroll

LSchroll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Love the Kabar, beautiful skin, girlfriend got me one for my bday, best knife I own.
Posted Image
SS-Untersturmführer u. Zugführer Lukas Schroll
SS-Panzer-Regiment 12 'Hitlerjugend'

#6 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

This is more of a 3d bit of advice (of which im sure most of you know already) if you look at the screw ridges at the bottom of the nade they appear wavy and havent "baked" correctly. To fix this I and you should simply "bevel" or make sure any similar extrusion's have a slight "bevel" so it can be captured properly in the bake.

"BEVEL" even what should be the most straightest of extrusions. I hope this helps sum1...just 1 person not 2 ^^,

#7 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

You could fix that bake error by tightening your cage in max, or instead of using that crappy baking program, use xNormal. Max baking just sucks, especially on low poly cylinder caps. xNormal will solve just about 99.9% of bake errors caused by max, supports every map possible and can use a cage if you want, usually isn't needed.
Posted Image

#8 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

I tried using xnormal as well...which i do from time to time, that gave some errors as well D: (I used the ray trace calc etc) Bevel saved the day here. (id still reccomend XNormal as its still a nice tool)

The thing ive wondered is, can xnormal produce maps as good as max? especially as u can set super samplers,catmul rom etc in max...or does xnormal kinda have this built in? (my homework^^,)

Either way (and yep this is a feeling sorry for myself moment) I made a school boy error in that I didnt maximise my uv space...this is day 1 stuff...and I messed up...foolish child ^^,

The texture could have been around 5-10% crisper overall id say.

blog mode off ^^,

#9 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

xNormal's quality might not reach up to that of Max's in terms of filtering. But to be completely honest, it gets damn close, and it does it in about 1/20th the time. And for the means of a video game, where DXT compression rapes the quality of the map anyway, it's perfectly acceptable to use xNormal. Try using catmull rom and hamerslay at 1.0 on a nice 2048x2048 map and see how long it'll take you to bake, and then do it on xNormal, and compare. You honestly can't tell any difference unless you know what to look for, but in game it all looks the same. xNormal is the way to go :D

Also, for UV optimization, you should try this out. Possibly the best plugin ever, and as far as I'm concerned it's free.
http://packer.3d-plugin.com/
I think you only need a license for commercial use, cause I've had it for months and it still works fine. Packs your UV space for a nice 1:1 pixel to poly ratio, really clean as well.
Posted Image

#10 UrbanMob

UrbanMob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

I use that UV packer:D we know the good stuff ^^, however I only use it to "normalise" the pieces...I then go in by hand and place them manually...just to make the texture sheet look nice and tidy...then again being able to rotate the texture sheet inside of Photoshop probably means im wasting my time. Your right about dds formats...ive only recently seen what that does to textures...I wouldnt say it destroys things that badly...but it does pick pocket a £5 note from their back pocket.

And your probs right about Xnormal in terms of time to bake|final outcome in game. Im going to stick to max until my comp cant handle what Xnormal can...in terms of meshsize...but then again with zbrushes Decimation master at our sides...max has a new best friend.

if you have any other programs I should be aware of...share the wealth...I have Unfold 3d, UV Packer,Xnormal to aid me.

#11 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Heheheh, here's the good stuff.

For general unwarpping, this script is amazing. Align tools, rotations, mirrors, and plenty more and it's only a script, not even a plugin.
http://fearthedevil.com/words/?p=117

I use unwrella for any organic based model, it's quality and process time is just ridiculous. Pelt seems take like 5 minutes to set up, and maybe another 5 minutes to tune them for unwrella to do the unwrap properly. The map's literally have no proportion errors and all the checker patterns line up seamlessly.
http://www.unwrella.com/

For rendering UV maps, I use textporter. I feel like most people somehow don't have this, even though I think it's the most essential plugin you should have.
http://www.cuneytozd...oftware/3dsmax/

Not really workflow related but shaderFX is great if you know HLSL or even used UT3 shader editor. Creates realtime DX shaders which are great for presenting next-gen pieces for portfolio or whatever. Even good to use to create replicant shaders of engines like UT2.5 so you know how your piece will look ingame, but obviously you can do all that in realtime rather than constantly porting to different programs.
http://www.lumonix.net/shaderfx.html

I prefer using this shader though, it's just clutch. Could use some refract/reflect additions and parallax would be nice as well.
http://www.laurensco.../viewportshader

For a toon orientated shader, here's an amazing one, use it all the time for TF2 stuff(half lambert and what not)
http://blog.maginot.... ... hader_toon

Otherwise, I just use custom scripts and binds to increase my workflow speed. Like bridged edges and all that stuff I have bound to different keys so you don't constantly have to click on the drop down in the modifier list.
Posted Image

#12 LSchroll

LSchroll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:13 AM

So, are we going to see these in game?
Posted Image
SS-Untersturmführer u. Zugführer Lukas Schroll
SS-Panzer-Regiment 12 'Hitlerjugend'

#13 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

www.bananasplitter.cgarena.com their on there ^^,

#14 CatintheHat

CatintheHat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

Is that a left handed kabar ?
They are so rare these days.

#15 munoz

munoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

Just want to share my KA BAR.
Posted Image
I just got it 6 months ago.
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a best stun gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users