• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 rossmum

rossmum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

As Zookawarrior knows, I started a unit a couple of days back. Being a Canadian-born, British-raised Australian soldier, I was getting seriously bored of playing as the US and so went with a British one. I've always loved the very concept of paratroopers, so I went with The Parachute Regiment. I'm reading a book on 3rd Battalion's 2006 'Ghan deployment, so that completed it.

Everything's still a bit of a mess, and I'm trying to get a forum together (trying to hang a second separate forum from the same domain, and while I'm told it's not all that hard it's being a pig); in the meantime I've managed to pull a few friends into it and we currently field an overstrength section, plus a few who are on the fence about joining. I'm not going to look for any outside recruits yet, as it'd be a nightmare to try and get things organised, but if anyone is keen to get a small-unit tactics game going while I sort them out they can PM me here. We're not all that regi (I'm from the infantry and nobody gives a damn for that unless there's trouble), so feel free to just drop me a line whenever if you are up for a game or have a question or are interested in joining once the forums are up.

Zooka, I'll let you know if/when I work out this damn forum issue :) Forgive me if this should be elsewhere; didn't think it wise to make a separate thread until we've got the site squared.

#22 Zookawarrior

Zookawarrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Ye np, you replied to the topic so side note isn't bad :P Feel free to post your unit info in a new topic once you got all ready to be presented 8) And indeed, good idea to bring a little bit diversity on these endless amount of Airborne units, thanks to Band of Brothers. :P

To make your post short about the topic:

Reading the history behind the unit you're about to start is also good idea to do. If you wan't to be accurate, that is :P

76561197970174462.png

#23 Father Ted

Father Ted

Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

Realism is like bible... so many different versions and interpretations that people follows blindly thinking it's the only right path:lol:

Hey, that's quite profound! And also pertinent when you think of all the threads (about armour, accuracy, recoil, stamina - basically an endless list) on these forums and the arguments which ensue.

On topic: how about a poll to see how many of us actually want to be in a unit/clan? The lack of them doesn't necessarily mean that things are going downhill.

#24 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

Oh Hans oh Hans... All the allied units? Come on... I'm sure you'll get your less formal unit from the following listing:

2nd AD
3rd AD
3rd MD
504th PIR x 2
9th AD

:lol:

I first too, like yourself, had lots of negative thoughts about all the axis units. But now having a chance to play freely with them, without prejudice, without insta-hate, I really don't have those thoughts anymore. Maybe you should try making friends from all those allied units so you'd understand better maybe.

And you might want to recap the rules of this forum board since pretty much everyone who has been long enough knows who you mean by "all the allied units" = one, and you're putting them into really bad light. Which is forbidden. So if you can't keep your negative hearsay, negative outsider's point of views to yourself... or negative whatever, some punishments can be handed out.

Don't waste time on hatin', it's not good for health. Build something of your own. Do the community act. Anything but hatin' 8)

p.s. Good post Metalbourne!

I'm not sure where you are getting this whole thing that I'm hating and breaking the forums rules. I'm talking about all allied units from RnL to RO to WWIIONLINE and DOD:S. If you read what I said, I said I'm not against how they operate; however, it would be nice to have an Allied unit that wasn't so formal.

Zook, you know I like you bro (in a non-home kind of way). But you seriously need to stop with taking everyones' post way out of context and using an excuse to flex your mod muscle. I don't know if you are just kidding around, but now I'm starting to say WTF is he going on about?

The whole point of this thread is to discuss what many of us feel is a good and bad way to operate a realism unit. I know many that want to be apart of one, but think all Allied units want you to drill every day and take the game way to seriously. Then there is the other group that wants to join an Axis unit, but don't want people thinking they are in the closes Nazis. Those negative views about both sides hurts realism and prevents it from really taking off. If you don't believe me, read the many threads on the RnL and BIS forums about this very thing.

#25 {SHD}Metalbourne

{SHD}Metalbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

Hans is very right, just look at BI, WW2 Online, BF2 for Allied "Realism" units and they are extremely strict. Some members from those Allied clans joined SHD because we are much looser then those units. They are very disiplined and I know many people do like that type of unit, but personally I do not. That's why i never call us a "Realism" unit although we do play in realism matches and love (strive for) realistic battles. I just never wanted to subject some new guy to rifleman role (only) for an amount of time or certain amount of matches because he's new. I know in games like WW2 Online you start off at the bottom annoyed me. For me it's fun to pretend to be representing the 3rdAD, but I think some take it a little too far. I just won't run a clan/unit that way too. Again, this is my opinion and not ment to attack anyone else's belief or unit/clan.
Posted Image

#26 Zookawarrior

Zookawarrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

I apologize Hans, I thought you especially were talking about DH allied realism units, bro ;) which is why I first couldn't believe it was you who said it. And yes, I know I got lot to learn about stuff. Feel free to PM me if you see something where I could do other way, though in most of the time I've consulted exo or Razor and so far they've backed me up ;)

76561197970174462.png

#27 rossmum

rossmum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:03 AM

Ye np, you replied to the topic so side note isn't bad :P Feel free to post your unit info in a new topic once you got all ready to be presented 8) And indeed, good idea to bring a little bit diversity on these endless amount of Airborne units, thanks to Band of Brothers. :P

To make your post short about the topic:

Reading the history behind the unit you're about to start is also good idea to do. If you wan't to be accurate, that is :P

Yeah, I've done a bit of hunting and happened across a ton of photos of the landings during Market Garden. Lots of them show the real 3 Para in action :D Even a few taken at the school where they holed up.

The only real problem right now is I haven't yet had any luck finding out the exact composition of a British parachute infantry section, so until I do (anyone able to help, please do) I'm using the composition our army has used since Vietnam at least.

#28 TheLegionnair

TheLegionnair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

sent you a pm rossmum hope it helps.
Posted Image
SS-Sturmmann, Gustav Eicken
1./SS-Regt "Deutschland" - SS-Division "Das Reich"

#29 rossmum

rossmum