93 replies to this topic

#1 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:58 AM

Gonna just post stuff here of whatever I'm doing. A lot of stuff might not get finished, unless you really want me to :). Sorry no DH stuff here, you guys gotta wait for the releases!

Whipped up a quick rubix cube, 12 triangles total. Maps all 512x512(diffuse,normal,spec,gloss).
While not obvious, there are normal map seems, but that's because the low poly has too many hard edges compared to the high. Well it's just a box, but if I chamfered the edges, it woulda looked better. At the same time not worth the extra polys for a small prop.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

I know this is super hypocritical because I posted a plane with a doodle on it. Just post stuff of the same quality as your 2 triangle adventure :D
not something that takes you about 20 mins ^^, Meow! :D Honestly though, the quality of that other piece in my view was top notch. Why post something that "dilutes" your better stuff?
dont go backwards...other than to delete this post:D

#3 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:24 AM

Just doodles and stuff, I'll post whatever I do.
Posted Image

#4 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:06 AM

Got board, went for another speed model/texture set. Sci-fi themed cause it's easiest to BS the details. No concept, just off my mind and on that 30min clock for the modeling. Gonna bake out my normals, AO, and cavity and probably do the textures tomorrow.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:56 AM

Exporting 18mil tris and then importing that and baking maps takes a VERY long time. So here's some more 2 triangle magic.

Posted Image

And the maps that will create a sexy diffuse tomorrow.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

GREEBUL ftw...however thats spelt:D
Btw, I read somewhere that using the red channel from your normal map is a very good starting point for a spec map...whats your view on this?
Really nice btw.

#7 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

I think if you don't have a layered .psd for the diffuse to work with, using channels from the normal could be acceptable. But the best way to make a specular map is by individually coloring the different components of your diffuse to a grayscale map (or color if you prefer tinted highlights). Same goes for the gloss. If I finish my java program for uni early, I'll do my textures for this and upload the .psd if you want to take a look at how I go about my business :)
Posted Image

#8 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

E=error
I havent used PS to correct anything...used AO for spec ^^,

#9 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

You gotta tighten up your cage around the bottom of the sole. I don't know if it's the walls or the cap, but any cylinder based object that has a loose cage will create those weird edges that looks like someone bit into it.

Posted Image

Get your cage as close as possible to the low poly at that part, should fix those errors. You could also use the blur,push, and spot healing brush in photoshop to fix that, but it's not proper and you lose quality in the process.
Posted Image

#10 2_k

2_k

Jackboot Games Staff

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

BaNaNaSpliTTer, nice boot. :)
Intresting to know , how did you make the shoelaces.

#11 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Cyoung why are you always soooo jelous of my projection cages! ^^,
I will have to have a "serious" mess around with the cage. (tbh no idea why I posted,I just thought id share the wealth)
The laces are seperate pieces of geometry that I made from box modelling...then applying a turbo smooth filter to them.
I then tweaked the low poly lace whilst still being able to view the turbo smoothed version at the same time.
Creating the tied part of the lace was the most confusing bit to do.
But yea, id say creating the laces as seperate geometry is the best way to go...trying to sculpt laces in zbrush fails pretty badly in my view...unless ive been doing it all wrong?

Oh important to note is that I would defo tweak the low poly cage better than this...this was purely baked onto my low poly base mesh.
Oh and I will post again with it fixed at some point...purely to keep my respect levels healthy.
This rant confirms I have no life ^^,

#12 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

Oh and Young, do you not use Decimation master on your finalized High poly stuff then?
my comp couldnt handle 18 million tri's...maybe Xnormal but thats another story for another day...right Young ^^,

#13 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:57 PM

Yah dude I just go for the highest poly export I could possibly do. I could use something that reduces it. Even though there's generally no quality loss, I just push my computer to its limits. I don't know what xnormal can handle, but it couldn't import a 30mil poly .obj :(. So unless I need to use something like poly cruncher I'll just work my computer. Actually it's really only slow when it's exporting from MAX, xnormal handles it very fast(just not instantly).

P.S. Get your own thread! :D
Posted Image

#14 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

I believe there was a modified modifier (redundancy rules!) for projection that gave you the option to have an edge select mode. Some work around to this would be the following. Flatten you project modifier on a separate mesh, convert to edit poly, go to edge selection mode, apply a push modifier and do as you please, then re add the mesh as the projected mesh in baking options.. Or you could do the same thing but just fine tune the projected mesh as its own separate thing; export your high and low, and export your cage as an .obj. You can load the external cage file in xNormal and have a pizza party :)

Also I think I saw a tutorial where the guy wrote some custom max script for macro keys that would do edge loop selection (or ring) when in any selection mode regardless of being vertex or edge. I wish I could find a link.
Posted Image

#15 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

*cough* :roll:
"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#16 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

Im an idiot I really am sometimes. I actually remember comming across a tut now for using the mesh as a cage...then importing your mesh as the cage. Soz for being the backwards man. Wish we didnt have to prat around with cages....COME ON PROGRAMMERS! get on it!

#17 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:25 PM

Been swamped with school work and the obvious mod work, but finally get back to the fun stuff.

Whipped this up in a little over an hour, took a bit longer cause I had problems with the poly flow on the blade.
Sweet KABAR, highpoly by the way.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:32 AM

Working on a mossberg shutgun. Not going for accuracy at all, hell I'm only using one reference photo. Just trying to improve my modeling skills as they aren't too great.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

High poly done -
Posted Image

and low poly done, 1604 tris ;) -
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:33 PM

Pretty sexeh dollface! Now do me a strap-on!
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users