Posted Image

#22 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hmm Baking. Can I have a Vanilla flavour topping please?
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#23 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

AO and normals baked,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 RustIronCrowe

RustIronCrowe

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:38 AM

Wots the polycount on the lo-poly shotgun?
Posted Image

#25 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

1,500 ish

I shoulda made the cylinders 12 sided instead of 18, would have cut out some polys. I'm also lazy/learning so ;)
Posted Image

#26 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:22 AM

What's up texturing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hey, I thought you might like some crits. The best thing I like is the way youve textured the metal...mainly the metal on the flat parts (where you cram ammo into)...Really nice. Im only going to say the barrel looks too shiny becauase I personally like things to be subtle ("edited" It looks ok tbh, ignore my comments:D). If your happy thats all that matters ^^, Pretty nice overall.
Im thinking we should maybe make some futuristic kind of object...weapon...lightsabre..whatever...something with lots of awesome details. These are just thoughts though...in reality im too tired these days to do much ^^,

Keep posting your progress with whatever your doing...stop slacking like me!

Keep getting better...train fierce - fight easy.

#29 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

Can I ask what programmes you use for the 3D part and Texturing and also ask if they are free and if they are not free where can I get a "FREE" version?
Posted Image

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#30 Alvin Fuchs

Alvin Fuchs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:12 AM

and if they are not free where can I get a ... version?

Don't talk about it so openly, many forums I've been on ban for that.
Posted Image

#31 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:56 AM

Can I ask what programmes you use for the 3D part and Texturing and also ask if they are free and if they are not free where can I get a cracked version?

3D modeling

Blender

AND

I thought someone said you get XSMI or something for free if you have HL2. I thought I read that awhile back on the RnL forums.

Texturing

Photoshop or the Gimp.

#32 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

[quote name='Alvin Fuchs'][quote name='"Jörg Biermann":12no1tq3']and if they are not free where can I get a ... version?[/quote]

Don't talk about it so openly, many forums I've been on ban for that.[/quote:12no1tq3]

Ok I changed it.
Posted Image

#33 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

You can usualy get free 30 day trials of most software...3ds Max is what I use for modelling. Photoshop for texturing. Maya is an alternative modelling program. Ive only used Maya once just to see what it was like...id say try Max...much more simple and less confusing interface in my opinion...but I would say that because im used to Max ^^,
http://usa.autodesk.... ... d=15683479 (trial link for Max)
Theres plenty of tutorials built into the helpfiles...but you will learn the most from peeps on the interwebz...very very kind people (id say a very very very good place to strart are computer graphics communitys such as "Polycount". If in doubt you can ask me...and I will try my best. I know hardly anything...but I know enough to get me by. you should defo check out other peoples portfolios as well...you would be suprised at how much you can learn just from inspecting other peeps work...trust me ^^,
Texturing...now thats a tricky one to find tuts on...well for me at least...ive just learnt by messing around in photoshop basically...be experimental...see what works best for you. Hope you havent fallen asleep reading this :D (texturing is 100x easier these days due to being able to just "BAKE" down high polygon stuff to low polygon stuff). texturing the old school way is harsh...very.imo
gonna play some DH now...see you ingame maybe:D

#34 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:01 PM

Texturing...now thats a tricky one to find tuts on...well for me at least...ive just learnt by messing around in photoshop basically...be experimental...see what works best for you. Hope you havent fallen asleep reading this :D (texturing is 100x easier these days due to being able to just "BAKE" down high polygon stuff to low polygon stuff). texturing the old school way is harsh

Tuts
http://forums.cgsoci...ad.php?t=373024

http://mos.futurenet...88_t_cyborg.pdf

I have no problem texturing vehicles and bump mapping, but avatar skins always kick my a$$. I just can't create realistic looking wrinkles. There has to be another way instead of using black and white lines and playing around with the opacity. The sad thing is I have some awesome looking textures I created from scratch by using my DSLR and then converting them to gray scale along side repeating patterns of the 1024 variety.

#35 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

Forgot to mention the most important piece of software...Zbrush...or Mudbox...whichever takes your fancy...thats where your wrinkle problems would be solved. Ive saved that tut you posted...seen it before but its nice to have for sure...my textures are very poor in comparison...oh well...always another day:D
but yea...sculpt high poly wrinkles...bake...job done?

#36 BaNaNaSpliTTer

BaNaNaSpliTTer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:44 AM

I defo feel inspired to try and create a next gen floor asset like the 1 in the tut. tmmoz night im gonna try to find some motivation from somewhere...hopfully I dont feel too knackered from work D:
Feel free to join me.

#37 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

Thanks for hijacking my thread guys.

I use 3DS MAX 2011 for modeling. Free programs are all shit, just buy a student license from your school.

I use Photoshop CS3 (any version is fine) for texture.

Tutorials? No, I never actually watched anything. I bought one book from Barnes and Nobles but never really read it. I just sort of try stuff differently as I go along. It's a steep learning curve when you're lazy like me but it's really easy stuff. If you're modeling, try doing something a different way, test out different modifiers and settings, you'll figure out who they work over time. Photoshop, well if you can't paint or draw IRL, you probably won't have much luck with this program. There's not much to learn about the program, it's honestly just drawing and painting a bunch of layers, so it takes some artistic talent to produce good looking stuff. I think skinning tutorials are terrible, cause all they do is teach you to copy someone's style. Sure it's nice to learn how to do something faster, but otherwise tutorials for that are useless. Think about painting something, watching someone else do it is only going to make you copy them move for move. You need to think about how it should look, and just try your best to imitate it. The only way you'll get good is with practice. It took me 4 years to get to where I am now, and I would say it's only sub-par quality(well maybe my texturing is better, but my modeling is still complete crap).

Now get out of my thread ;)
Posted Image

#38 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:27 AM

-----8<-----
Free programs are all shit, just buy a student license from your school.
-----8<-----

Oh really? :wink:
"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#39 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

Tutorials? No, I never actually watched anything. I bought one book from Barnes and Nobles but never really read it.

Posted Image

#40 CYoung

CYoung

Jackboot Games Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

Oh really? :wink:

Open-source programs are decent, but they never compare to their counterparts. Blender gives you a decent toolset, but whatever can be done in that program, can be done faster/better in Maya, Max, Zbursh, Mudbox, and other composting programs for renders. Take it for what it's worth, I tried out every program and I settled with MAX. Sure it's interface may seem 20 years old, but it's honest the best program out there. Why do you think most companies out there prefer Max or Maya for their project's workflow?

Back on topic, going back to this AK, gonna texture it right this time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users