• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CatintheHat

CatintheHat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

The Asia Darkest Hour Duel will return this Thursday 16 October at 8.30pm GMT+10.

This will be the second PRIZE event for Darkest Hour.

The match will run for two hours with prizes awarded to players with the first, second and third highest scores.

During the last tournament scores were measured by Game Tracker however this time I will be testing another method of calculating scores based on total kills (it excludes cap and MG reload points etc). This hopefully will even things out by taking away the scoring advantage of an attacking side as well as point stacking by continually feeding ammo to an MG.

THE LAST TOURNAMENT WAS A HOOT
The inaugural winner Bluey, a regular RO/DH player, said after the match he was honoured to take out the inaugural Asia DH Dual first prize and was proud to fly the victory flag for Australia. Bluey’s prize was a fascinating book that examined classic philosophy and the comic book hero Batman.

Californian based, ShangDi, was the runner up after the gruelling scrim and following the match said ‘dang that was awesome’ which we think roughly translated means, dang that was awesome. ShangDi’s prize was a novel by Jane Austin - a spruced up version of a classic, Pride and Prejudice but with zombies.

Yarnu found it difficult controlling his emotions when he secured third place in the first Asia DH Duel. Yarnu arrived late to the scrim and said he is now determined to take full honours at the next Asia Darkest Hour Dual (ADHD). “Bluey I want your crown” he said while buzzing the neighbour’s dog with his RC helicopter, a prize he won for his efforts during the first Asia DH event.

Be sure to line up for the next Asia Darkest Hour Dual, this is the only DH event that awards real life prizes to winners.
-----------
Friend the Steam group - Asia Darkest Hour to keep posted.
The DH server name is Asia DH Infantry Maps and its IP is 8.3.5.184:7757.
A few players had difficulty seeing the server in the DH server list (for whatever reason). If this happens you can manually input the IP address 8.3.5.184:7757 over another DH server list entry to get connected. Just right click over any game listed and select OPEN IP. Replace the IP with 8.3.5.184:7757 and you should get to the game. Otherwise, friend me in Steam, or join the Asia DH group and connect through Steam friends.

#2 Blueyy

Blueyy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

No one is ever going to take my crown EVER!

#3 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

Too bad I can't go on that server.. My ping would be through the roof
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#4 Blueyy

Blueyy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

It wouldn't be that bad, its US west coast. The Aussie players play at about 180ping.
I wish I had more to write these silly one line posts are annoying.

#5 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:52 PM

Yep

:D One word post.
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#6 Alvin Fuchs

Alvin Fuchs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Wait, how is the West Coast Asian? Lol, that means I could play it with really good ping.
Posted Image

#7 Blueyy

Blueyy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:23 AM

The US west coast is the unofficial home of SEA/AU/NZ players in quite a few games, most notably WoW.

Come play tomorrow so I can kick your butt :twisted:

#8 EchoCharlie

EchoCharlie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:02 AM

There was a significant effort to get a server set up somewhere central to asia/pacific region to level out the pings.

The idea was central server should give a playable ping to most in those areas and result in a full server. A handful from US, Korea, Phillipines, NZ, Malaysia and of course the Aussies.

The closest that could be found was West Coast USA - weird but couldn't find any set up servers in Singapore - which would have been no good for US players but great for the Ruskies...

Come play - you'll have a ball!
Posted Image

#9 jefaus

jefaus

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:58 AM

There was a significant effort to get a server set up somewhere central to asia/pacific region to level out the pings.

The idea was central server should give a playable ping to most in those areas and result in a full server. A handful from US, Korea, Phillipines, NZ, Malaysia and of course the Aussies.

The closest that could be found was West Coast USA - weird but couldn't find any set up servers in Singapore - which would have been no good for US players but great for the Ruskies...

Yeowch! I saw how much a DH server costs to operate on GameServers in Sydney -
that additional $1.00 per person just bites. And that is just for a 40 man dealie.
I know I've already offered my services to you before, but if you do manage to find a cost-effective Linux service provider in the Asia/Pacific region, I'm more than happy to help you guys set it all up. Done it before... and I can do it again.

Come play - you'll have a ball!

I did! And it was fun to play with the crowd. A good bunch there... alot of Aussies.

Well worth the late night :)
--- The Killer of Threads! ---

For whoever habitually suppresses the truth in the interests of tact will produce a deformity from the womb of his thought. - B.H. Liddell Hart

#10 CatintheHat

CatintheHat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thanks jefaus. Let's get in touch to discuss this further.

I am pretty certain I can find server space Linux etc, however I need a better understanding of this all before committing.

At the moment the setup for Asia DH is simple - I pay the money and they deliver the server. So there is some quality assurance and a service level agreement in play.

Obviously this would differ under another scenario, however I am happy to have a punt all the same.

Lets chat further.

#11 CatintheHat

CatintheHat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

This week's Asia Darkest Hour Duel confirmed Australia’s reputation as a ‘killer’ nation with the top three place getters of the tournament from the land Down Under.

This tournament awarded points based on kills and not for capturing territory or for feeding ammunition to MGs. As a result only true killers were awarded points during the two hour tournament.

Although this was just the second Asia DH Championship round, marquee players are already showing dominance.

Bluey and Yarnu, who were placed first and third respectively in the last Asia DH Duel, exchanged forum taunts in the days leading up this week’s dual however it was youngster Yarnu that was first to fire-up when it counted, taking the leading position early on in the six map tournament.

Bluey described his efforts during the second map, Bois-Jacques, as disappointing because of poor vision, but was confident he would not to be outplayed early. By the third map, Brecourt, he regained valuable tournament position after a solid defence.

During Brecourt, a map made popular by HBO’s Band of Brothers, player GuerillaGorilla said “Bluey did you fall out of your mother’s crotch bearing an MG 42?” At which point Bluey replied, “No ! I had to cut it out of my ball sack.” They breed them tough in Victoria, Australia.

EchoCharlie, who was raised in Victoria and not lost to a killing or two, also performed well in the initial stages of the tournament. Although frustrated and losing momentum during an attack on Brecourt, which saw him scream “get in the bloody cap zones”, EchoCharlie managed good scores during the next two maps, Ginkel Heath and Stoumont.

The final two maps of the tournament, Stoumont and Juno Beach, determined the final places.

Bluey and EchoCharle killed plenty at Stoumont, scoring 29 and 23 points respectively, however Yarnu managed 35 kills during the Belgium based map.

Although not knowing he had a nine kill advantage heading into the final map, Yarnu entered it with confidence securing enough kills to comfortably win the second Asia Darkest Hour Duel.

Winners of the Asia Darkest Hour Duel – Round 2 are :

Yarnu – 132 points
Bluey – 116 points
EchoCharlie – 74 points

Winners will receive their prizes by post in the next few days.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users