Posted Image

#2 Doggzillen

Doggzillen

Elite Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:05 AM

Sad thing is that some people think thats what a game should be like. Screw realism, "its only a game". God forbid you learn something and further yourself.

#3 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

Sad thing is that some people think thats what a game should be like. Screw realism, "its only a game". God forbid you learn something and further yourself.

QFT

#4 CMHQ_Widget

CMHQ_Widget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

I don't think it's bad, it's their style of game, worst thing is that some ppl think it is realism :D
Posted Image

#5 SS-Kommando

SS-Kommando

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

Damn, now that's an awesome trick!

#6 Doggzillen

Doggzillen

Elite Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

I don't think it's bad, it's their style of game, worst thing is that some ppl think it is realism :D

Of course if some Russian said they did that, youd have ever flight sim ever made inundated by Russian fanboys DEMANDING the ability to do that. Just like this kind of garbage: "(Some Russian) shot down a BF-109 with a I-16, I demand the BF-109 be nixed because the devs are totally being biased against vastly superior Russian tech! For other Russia!"
To be fair, most sims are kinda crap unless they are really scripted out. Im currently working on CFS3 and its coming along well. I was kinda sick of 3-5 bomber formations, and completely retarded AI. Ive already fixed those issues, and I have big plans for the future, including an Eastern front in tandem with existing fronts, and including EVERY major model of aircraft, and aircraft which were limited to the pacific theater as additional unlockable aircraft.
Ill post some pics and info about it in the off topic section and link it here later on.
Ill be uploading the mod to Bittorrent some time when the bugs are worked out, I dont want it to be just another halfassed attempt at fixing problems. Reality all the way.

#7 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

-----8<-----
Reality all the way.

Ummm... No, not quite. Remember: the graph of realism over player base is a bell curve. Go too far over the hill, and you won't have anyone to play with.
"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#8 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

-----8<-----
Reality all the way.

Ummm... No, not quite. Remember: the graph of realism over player base is a bell curve. Go too far over the hill, and you won't have anyone to play with.

That depends on who your target audience is. If you were talking about Arma2, then more realism is to be expected and sought after. If you are talking about what the gaming industry calls "casual gamers", then what you said might be true.

Even Clive Lindop, who worked on OFP: CWC and OFP :DR, former Codemasters developer, and now working for Crytek, stated that gamers want to experience war as how they view it from watching the news and documentaries. So if he is saying this, I'm sure he is privy to market research done that shows a gradual shift in what the market wants in terms of realism.

#9 CMHQ_Widget

CMHQ_Widget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

Of course if some Russian said they did that, youd have ever flight sim ever made inundated by Russian fanboys DEMANDING the ability to do that. Just like this kind of garbage: "(Some Russian) shot down a BF-109 with a I-16, I demand the BF-109 be nixed because the devs are totally being biased against vastly superior Russian tech! For other Russia!"

I-16 was a lol but LA-5FN was total lol :D. I was a part in CMHQ: Flying Circus around few IL-2 Sturmovik virtual fronts and flew aproximatelly 1,5-2h daily for 4 years. Scene of this game is really poor, most of guys love to shoot down enemy, not fly realistic planes :D. That's why they agree that Star Wars Lasers being shoot by Russian planes (ShVAKs) are ok. Ok is that a bullet being shoot by a cannon fly 1km without any ballistics, 1km in straight line :D. Another mystery is what we started to call one day "magic of siberian pine wood". Russian planes made of wood (the syberian one) used to resist 20mm and 30mm HE bullets :D.

So we stopped to argue with such people, it was pointless. We just shoot them down :D. One time I made big post with topic "why allies pilot sucks ?". Some virtual front put maps with later years when La-5's were availible. This plane had one simple tactics to fight, roll onto one wing and pull stick to the chest. Without loosing energy and powerfull engine (wchich in fact was really powerfull) you would always reach enemy plane. So I wrote that allies ppl lack of skill because of late maps and overpowered planes. They didn't have to raise their skills, their planes did all the work. We have similiar situation in DH with German tankers. I love play German toys, I flew German planes and drive German tanks in DH. But now I stopped when it realise that burning 17 enemy tanks in 1 life is not a challenge. Now I have changed side and try to burn those mighty German tankers :D
Posted Image

#10 Doggzillen

Doggzillen

Elite Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thats the thing about most games, the people who want to be the "bad guys" usually have a different mentality than those who want to play the underdog. I am constantly amazed by how the Germans in DH and Ruskies in RO just have this will to smash head on into anything and expect to live, when they have died so many times before in the same way. "Firefly HAX!"
Sometimes I feel like I am the only person on the German team who knows how to use cover, or does not camp. There are always exceptions, but in general the west attracts the best players.
Until the Germans get outnumbered and become the underdog like IRL, the players who are looking for a challenge are going to pick the Allies. I cant wait to see the German slots reduced, I hope it turns some of the good Allied players to the dark side. Im kinda sick of fools getting 3 kills or less in heavy tanks, just to get right back in and have the same thing happen again.

#11 CMHQ_Widget

CMHQ_Widget

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Thats the thing about most games, the people who want to be the "bad guys" usually have a different mentality than those who want to play the underdog.

That's true. We were playing Germans because we were fans of II WW and German technology, AFAIR there was another German squadron, guys from JG300, they were fans also. Ppl that used to play allies side, 303,304,306 squadrons used to be fanatic players that play simulator, not in fact fans of II WW. So after few discussions on Polish IL-2 community forum we started to being hate by everyone. We became nazist and probably all of us have hakenkreuz on our walls in home :D. Some guys were so fanatic that fought with us in all possible ways. I have never met such attitude in any other game. And like you say, allies had some planes better so they didn't think how to use tactics, advantage and cooperation. We never flew alone, we flew in formation and used pair of planes tactics.

I don't know if that we liked to play well, cooperated and we really care about what we do is linked to that we were playing German side, but I am 100% sure those guys were different than that one playing allies. And like I said, there are some ppl on Allies side that are the same. After playing hours on German side me and my friend tried to play Allies. We loved attitude of gameplay of that guys. In fact I am fan of German technology but cooperation of Allies in many cases is just awesome. Ppl talk to each other, cooperate etc. I have tried once to turn back to German side and couldn't use to not to talk with guys around.
Posted Image

#12 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

I think one of these problem is the fact that most tank maps are arena like maps

I mean having an attack/defense map makes a big difference.

That`s why allied get a chance on freyneux/Wach am Rhein

When you are on an aerna like map Heavies takes much more importance.
Because they can crush through the map.
But there is no obj./coordination between most players because some are on defensive other on offensive.

As for skilled german tanker there def. is some

But most newb see the big toys as why they play the game. Then with experience they move toward other tanks.
Posted Image

#13 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

-----8<-----
Reality all the way.

That depends on who your target audience is. If you were talking about Arma2, then more realism is to be expected and sought after. If you are talking about what the gaming industry calls "casual gamers", then what you said might be true.

Even Clive Lindop, who worked on OFP: CWC and OFP :DR, former Codemasters developer, and now working for Crytek, stated that gamers want to experience war as how they view it from watching the news and documentaries. So if he is saying this, I'm sure he is privy to market research done that shows a gradual shift in what the market wants in terms of realism.

This is realism 'all the way'. :roll:
"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#14 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

hahahahha