• This topic is locked This topic is locked
143 replies to this topic

#1 sez_slothrop

sez_slothrop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

The print magazine PC Gamer covered RO:HoS recently, not much new info on gameplay. The reviewer did say that the two previously unnamed tanks being added after launch are the Panzer IIIJ and the T-70 and that the Russian's APC would be the Universal Carrier again. Hopefully the Panzer III will be the tank more commonly seen on the German side!

#2 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

Interesting news there were rumors of this so I suppose this is just confirmation of that.

Panzer IIIJ and the T-70

I gather they mean the "J" which was armed with the 50mm L/42 rather than the J/1 with the 50mm L/60 ( they produced ~1000+ of both models) the differences between the two are minor if they care to address that they could have had a good 2 for one deal there.

My thoughts:
I don't like the motif of constantly sticking late-mid Panzer III's tank vs thoroughly outclassed light tanks (Ro1 & Ro:HOS) but at least in this case its not the T-60 series, although the T-70M isn't that far off a T-60 it in fact replaced it.
I will speculate as I did before that this is also more or less a confirmation of a "code balanced" tanking system as I can't see these current tank "match ups" (that is usually the case with the tank "match up" concept) working realistically without it (I stated a similar thoughts on the the T-34 vs the Panzer IV "G"). The T-70M has a ~34.5mm @ 30 glacis plate armor, and is armed with a 45mm L/46 gun which was ineffective vs the Panzer III J's 50mm FHA front (Dfp, Nose, mantlet, & Turret front). The Panzer III J's main armament the 50mm L/42 or the 50 mm L/60 weapon could easily pierce the frontal armor of the T-70 at long distance and infact both weapons could pierce the T-34's thicker armor, the L/42 required close range flank shots the L/60 was more effectual and could pierce the T-34's glacis at close range as well as the the turret armor with in combat range. Let us also remember also the T-70M was primarily a recon and infantry support vehicle where as the Panzer III was built to fight tanks the Panzer IV lang did not totally replace the Panzer III's role until after the Battle of Kursk.

There are far better match ups vs this particular Soviet light tank for example the Panzer 38(t) ausf F-G's vs the T-70M, still a bit tough for the T-70 but much more balanced match up.

gar83IX.gif

#3 sez_slothrop

sez_slothrop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

The P3 is definitely the superior tank if its not code-balanced. Matching it up against the T34, though, and not the T70 would be realistic, and could potentially be balanced by better visibility, crew communication, etc. and not just armor/gun/speed, especially with the detail Tripwire has added in the "soft" advantages of a tank.

If a straight-forward ranking of the tanks is P4>T34>P3>>T70 then maybe we'll see the middle two tanks as balanced, the P4 as analogous to the Panther on the map La Monderie, and the T70 present on infantry maps like the Stuart is present on some infantry maps in DH.

Of course, this assumes that Tripwire will accurately model each tanks capabilities, which the may well not.

#4 Blueyy

Blueyy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I heard that the components that can be damaged in the tank model are pretty much the same as DH, with only a few more that we don't have in the current release :roll:

tank optics, turret ring, cannon, treads, ammo storage, fuel tanks, engine, transmission, and power drive.

#5 sez_slothrop

sez_slothrop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

According to the article, tread damage doesn't halt a tank completely, but the tank will be unable to turn to its damaged side. So damaged left track means no left turns.

#6 Blueyy

Blueyy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

That doesn't sound right, shouldn't a tank keep going forward until the track has been pulled off then it takes a slow left as the right side pushes the tank forward :?:

#7 Zookawarrior

Zookawarrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:00 AM

[youtube:1oqvnp9y]WrEk5ceRGC8[/youtube:1oqvnp9y]

76561197970174462.png

#8 ROMMEL 34

ROMMEL 34

Elite Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Panzer IIIJ and the T-70

This is an a suck. A better choice would have been a KV-1 (always forgotten tank) of some sort instead of some obsolete deathtrap T-70. I bet you that they will lower the Panzer IIIJs combat power to match that of the T-70 in their silly game...And no Stug??

the differences between the two are minor if they care to address that they could have had a good 2 for one deal there

They also could have quickly gotten a P4 F1 from their F2 model. I wonder if they will do this...
Alles für Deutschland!

#9 pizdetzvsemu

pizdetzvsemu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

the t-70 is a stupid choice. It has no unique role on the battlefield, unless 'smaller and not as good as a t-34' can be considered a unique role. Less armor, weaker gun, and to top it off, its actually SLOWER than the t-34.The t60 in RO had a fun, unique position as 'clown car with an autocannon', whereas the t70 is just a baffling decision, made even more so by the fact that its not at all balanced against the german tank its paired up with. Plus there's the fact that there's really no variety in playstyles between the tanks they're adding.

#10 sez_slothrop

sez_slothrop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

I'm confused--you guys are angry because Tripwire is including the second-most numerically significant tank at Stalingrad? I for one am glad we won't be seeing rarities like the KV or upgunned StuG around every corner.

#11 ROMMEL 34

ROMMEL 34

Elite Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

The t60 in RO had a fun, unique position as 'clown car with an autocannon.

And we all know how bad that turned out:

[youtube:22v1qe4v]60fVB3W05ko[/youtube:22v1qe4v]

Also, it was not very "fun" on Hedgehog when the T-60 would destroy your Panzer III L with impunity even through its 50 mm + 20 mm worth of frontal armor despite the fact that the T-60's weapon is impotent against 36 mm of armor at point blank...The T-70 if put in properly would be impotent against anything with 50 mm FHA @ 0 deg at a little bit past point blank.

Tripwire is including the second-most numerically significant tank at Stalingrad

I am just troubled that they introduced a T-70 with a Panzer III J as the German counterpart as if they are equivalent tanks to each other. Why not a Panzer 38t? I fear that they are wrongly thinking in their TW heads that the T-34/76 >>> Panzer IVF2 > T-70 >>>> Panzer IIIJ. The lack of KV-1 is also disappointing as they were in Stalingrad and they are always downplayed in importance or omitted in games in favor of the someways inferior T-34.

I for one am glad we won't be seeing rarities like the KV or upgunned StuG around every corner

You will be seeing the Panzer IV F2 though which is rarer.
Alles für Deutschland!

#12 =GG= Mr Moe

=GG= Mr Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

While I certainly can't complain about players choices in tanks, it really is odd to see that some people mention balance when comparing the tanks. Doubly so here on the DH forums. Here is a game where imbalance in the vehicles is something that is fun and unique, ex Sherman vs Panther.

Personally I'm glad the tanks for the updates aren't heavies, although I would not have minded assault guns.
Posted Image

#13 ROMMEL 34

ROMMEL 34

Elite Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:42 AM

Here is a game where imbalance in the vehicles is something that is fun and unique, ex Sherman vs Panther.

But in RO imbalance does not exist. Look at the most imbalanced case: Panzer III L vs the T-60. The P III L would realistically be a mini Tiger tank to the likes of the impotent T-60 but go play Hedgehog and the exact opposite happens. RO's T-60 is more or less equal or in some cases superior to the P III L. And their are other examples as well.
Alles für Deutschland!

#14 sez_slothrop

sez_slothrop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:48 AM

It is possible, given TW's track record with tanks, that the T70 will magically stand up to the P3. But in the spirit of optimism, and probably giving TW more credit then will reveal themselves to deserve in 2011, at least the excellent models are of the right tanks.

#15 Blueyy

Blueyy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, at the very least it will be a great starting point for modder's to come along and tweak it to how they think it should be. the models do look very good :D

#16 =GG= Mr Moe

=GG= Mr Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

[quote name='ROMMEL 34'][quote name='"=GG= Mr Moe":2jcylv1x']Here is a game where imbalance in the vehicles is something that is fun and unique, ex Sherman vs Panther.[/quote]

But in RO imbalance does not exist. Look at the most imbalanced case: Panzer III L vs the T-60. The P III L would realistically be a mini Tiger tank to the likes of the impotent T-60 but go play Hedgehog and the exact opposite happens. RO's T-60 is more or less equal or in some cases superior to the P III L. And their are other examples as well.[/quote:2jcylv1x]

True, it does seem that in Ostfront, things are tweaked to be more of a balance.

Also true, I am talking about Heroes of Stalingrad, NOT Ostfront. At this point, I am not worried about all the old arguments about Ostfront and their tanking that somehow magically keep appearing in the topics about the new game. It is a Different game.

I for one hope they don't balance the tanks in the new game, or if they do, very little. I am all for the uniqueness that each vehicle will bring and the different way players will have to react to handle those vehicles and the situations they are in.

Hopefully by having some of the choices in tanks that they have in game makes it at least slightly easier to add similar tanks based on the same models or chassis.
Posted Image

#17 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

True, it does seem that in Ostfront, things are tweaked to be more of a balance.

And so it will be in RO2 and with the implementation of rare weapons that didn't exist at the time of Stalingrad: Mkb42.

#18 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Balance is found in the map, not vehicles. You could have a nicely balanced map with only KT's and Stuarts. Hell, in Rammel, the Allies don't even have any tanks, and only a single bazooka spawn, and the German tank still can't push up safely.
"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#19 =GG= Mr Moe

=GG= Mr Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

[quote name='Hans Ludwig'][quote name='"=GG= Mr Moe":1s595zac']True, it does seem that in Ostfront, things are tweaked to be more of a balance.[/quote]

And so it will be in RO2 and with the implementation of rare weapons that didn't exist at the time of Stalingrad: Mkb42.[/quote:1s595zac]

Ahhh, glad you got the inside scoop there and aren't just speculating :lol:

You should change your post about the Mkb42 (what that has to do with the tanks :roll: I don't know) but it did exist at the time but its questionable at best if it was in Stalingrad.
Posted Image

#20 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ahhh, glad you got the inside scoop there and aren't just speculating :lol:

Yeah, I'm not a blind fan boy that thinks TWI can do no wrong, as clearly evident from your posts on this forum and theirs.

You know absolutely well there was a historian that proved them wrong on multiple occasions, just to get snubbed in a recent game convention. You know, the guy with the California license plate in his sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users