#1 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

http://www.realitymod.com/

It has been a long 18 months since the initial concept of Project Reality: ARMA 2 was announced and today the Project Reality Team is proud to announce that work has finally concluded on its first release. The final release date has officially been set for Project Reality: ARMA 2 v0.1 BETA:

Posted Image

Friday, September 2nd, 2011 at 18:00:00
PRT (Project Reality Time) / UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)

What started as a mere concept has now progressed to our first public BETA build. As was expected for a new mod, with an all new team, developing a new concept, we have experienced a lot of turbulence over the past 18 months. Most of the community may think that we have been developing PR:ARMA2 fully for 18 months now, however realistically there has only been about 9 months of actual development work. Although there have been several changes within the team, multiple developers leaving and joining, the Project Reality: ARMA 2 team is now very solid, dedicated and reliable.

Project Reality: ARMA 2 v0.1 BETA Trailer
The Project Reality Team has created the following trailer to showcase many of the various features and changes you will find in the Project Reality: ARMA 2 v0.1 BETA release. So, dim the lights, grab your popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show!

Project Reality: ARMA 2 Mod v0.1 BETA Trailer - YouTube

Please if you don't like PR or ArmA II save it for the PR thread or the ArmA II thread thank you very much.

dI7MBq89IC4

Edited by Hans Ludwig, 18 March 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#2 Homuth

Homuth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Looks cool, have to buy myself ARMA someday :D
Posted Image

#3 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

Looks cool, have to buy myself ARMA someday :D

I read on their forums they had two (2) 100 slots servers up that were full. And the community was angry that there wasn't enough servers. I guess that's a good sign that Arma2 finally has an MP scene going on.

#4 Atkins

Atkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

Don't let the pretty wrapping fool you.
Take a good look at the videos at utube about PR:A2 and you'll notice that almost in every single video other players are warping/lagging/stuttering. PR just can't fix what BIS f*cked up long ago.

Definitely do not buy A2 for PR unless u are willing to endure some serious warping/lod/optimization issues.

e.g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncagk4pyKR8

This is how the Arma 2 WW2 mod Invasion 44 looks like online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCt33OMvLak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IPn82r9acE

Which is a shame cos the mod just looks awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34eKOOmFpsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhZOlEAc0K0

#5 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Don't let the pretty wrapping fool you.
Take a good look at the videos at utube about PR:A2 and you'll notice that almost in every single video other players are warping/lagging/stuttering. PR just can't fix what BIS f*cked up long ago.

Definitely do not buy A2 for PR unless u are willing to endure some serious warping/lod/optimization issues.

We've had that problem since OFP: CWC. You would think 10 years of development would have fixed that issue.

Any how, at least the PR team can say they tried and did a pretty good job at bringing MP to this game.

#6 Langnasen

Langnasen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

The entire ArmA series is nothing more than a hacked up OFP clunk & lag-fest. Even on top-spec hardware it runs like a dog, and that's because the code is utter shite.

#7 Atkins

Atkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

The optimization indeed is from the toilet and netcode is made by monkeys.
What bothers me most is that this netcode is about 10 years old issue and instead of fixing all these core issues, BIS has decided to rls all kind of DLC's and whatnot expansion packs which is what the loudest fanboys seem to appreciate more...

#8 Silverkite

Silverkite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

A big couple of common problems since I used to mess up things and scripts for Operation Flashpoint Resistance

I ignore the fact of what is going on on official BIS forums both present and past but:

Islands especially custom island can make the entire experience a lag-fest even if on SP on locals server works flawlessy.This sometimes is cause by the amount of unpolished ridges,mountain heghits and even sea dept,then if let's say you set the dept of water to 20 meters and polished mountains and stuff but you placed a very bigload of custom stuff without unpacking it and join their configs the game will be laggy no matter what.So when you are going to make a custom island (and I'm doing it) you have to forget about the sea/ocean,don't push things with mountains staying on 1000/1500 meters limit,polish ridges very often,unpack any given addon.Well unpacking certain addons since they are locked with their so called keys or HEX strings can be a little painfull but once you get used you will crack it/them in 10 seconds.

Addons,every custom addon so a tank,a mere Zodiac or a stationary machine gun sometimes comes with fancy scripts that will constantly check for certain things like alive,damage,empty yes or no,this on MP will cause some lag,so let's say if you ever played OFP online with the latest custom M1A2 Abrams made but I can't remember who,you were always noticing some lag,or warping.To prevent that you had to remove the addon protection a mere string that was placed there with an HEX editor and then proceed to edit his config maybe sorting out some scripts,mostly explosion and burning ones that you were going to replace using the ones from ECP or BAS.If the script are not causing lag sometimes are the weapons aboard the vehicle,I remember some UH-1 Huey addon who were just there to make the MP experience sad,why?Too many weapons aboard,smoke grenade launcher was the culprit.

Scripts,triggers,events etc for MP custom maps,too many triggers,too many scripts,too many conditions for example the CTI day cycle script will cause lag.Sometimes placing too many AT mines even if they are intert for infantry but not so friendly for tanks could make a big mess.I just remember a CTF map where the mapper placed only a couple of flags with their pole,some sandbags here and there,some non respawning stock vehicles and the classic hospitalt tent,ammo and weapons cache at spawn.Basically it was the original CTF Everon but instead of fighting around Gravette we were fighting near Le-Moule,anyway he placed around 100 or so AT mines making the map a lagfest.

For scripts I remember that on nakedsquid forums the guys there were saying that you had to use round triggers,and make inert scripts that were going to be activated after clearing a certain object,or killing a certain target,after that the script,trigger was delected to lessen the server load and prevent lag.

I can say that on nakedsquid server the laggy maps were usually the older ones,or some maps with way too many enemies and the only natural server killer was CAT Afghanistan because who made the island forgot to polish ridges and hills and some CAT addons were buggy and totally not lag-free

Lastly you have to thing about textures,placing ~4028x4028 is nosense,even ~2012x2012 texture for a soldier or a UAZ is a joke,sometimes is better to have multiple-single textures for certain parts instead of a huge one that covers the entire vehicle.

I'm sure about all of this things cause I used to play on CTI servers were the server load was really big,because the amount of things that our COs were going to spawn while building and defending a base and the only time I have experieced lag was only when the addons,and scripts were not fixed by third party hands,so playing on Skye CTI or Trinity CTI on their server was a pure experience,while playing the same maps on other server was not that funny cause lag was a real killer

Then about -mods like ECP or now the Project Reality Mod can be messy,vehicle chit-chat was a nice touch,even extra lights and chores for churchs,or whatever I'm missing will be,but is an extra server load.Usually some servers will not run that mod,or at least I remember that on nakedsquid server they were not running last ECP version but a revised one and you were free to use or not the latest one,for me it lasted a week then the amount of lag and crashes that I was experiencing was killing me so I reverted to vanilla OFP with custom addons,plus I have tested some of ECP features by adding them in a third addon or folder and didn't experienced any problem,nor lag or crash,sadly I was not able to replace stock vehicles with custom ones,but I have changed textures,mixed up NVG and realistic sky textures,added first-aid scripts for soldiers and flares/ecm script for helicopters,replaced other 3d models and added newer ones with no problem.

Editing things for that game was easy.
My only rant about OFP were the AI tanks on MP,sometimes they fired their entire reserver in 5 seconds,and that was around 35 Sabots in no time,one day I was runned over by an M1 Abrams that was doing around 200 Km/h on reverse simply because he fired his reserve at once against a T-80 that popped out on a ridge,I was like WTF was that because after he ran me over he collided against a bunker flipped over and then another guy with a Bradley managed to put it back on his tracks,get inside cause the AI driving it disembarked,check his health statuts and he writed that the only ammo avaiable were the coaxials rounds,SABOT and HEAT reserve were dry,that means 70 shots that were fired in 5 second,but server allowed us to see only 8 shots.

#9 Theel

Theel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:00 AM

"If they removed the rabbits the game would run better." I personally like Arma2 but only for small player co-op with small grade missions. Even then the AI (and sometimes players) glitch around. Also I get random crashes (it just minimizes to desktop, I can hear game sounds and voices like I'm still playing but can't get it back up). After spending 30 minutes staying alive and assaulting and defending objectives I get one of these and it's very demotivating to the point I don't want to start it back up.

I think Bohemia is moving in the wrong direction, pooping out copies of the same game like COD. By the time the modders are finishing up their first release the sequel comes out. That will just lead to not having any community tools. And then the hardcore community will say goodbye and then it'll resort to this...

... ure=relmfu
Posted Image
Current Project: Darkest Hour 6.0

#10 Wuk

Wuk

Elite Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

the real problem though is that despite all the flaws Arma (and bohemia) have huge potential. It is basically a ... very sad relationship that I have with the game. I am in love with the realistic parts of the game but I absolutely hate the clunky feeling you have with the gameplay controls and graphics (glitch over glitch) not to mention the lags and poor netcode.

I mean I really really hope that Arma 3 will be different here. But I will not buy the game so much for sure. The bugs with Arma 2 have really discouraged me to pay for any new game by Bohemia.

Though I have to say while the mod looks sweet what is it actually offering to the game ?

#11 Atkins

Atkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

You can now play PR:arma2 with the A2 Beta patches that fix awful warping.
http://www.realitymo... ... patch.html

So now the PR is worth the try.

I recommend giving it a shot if you like PR:BF2. PR:Arma2 has pretty much the same gameplay mechanics with the good and bad stuff that A2 engine brought with it.

#12 Atkins

Atkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Arma2 got updated to 1.60 sometime ago and the player warping is long gone. If that warping was putting u off, then i suggest u try Arma2 now.

PR:ARMA2 is getting close to official 0.15 release and is now running 0.15 beta testing (which is open to all who bother to install it);
http://www.realitymo... ... sting.html

I recommend trying it out. I have almost completely changed my opinion about arma2 (and pr:arma2 after that too) and i consider PR:Arma2 absolutely awesome experience when it comes to team work and immersive gameplay. Ofc the Arma2 "clunkyness" is still there but that is something u can get over.

Anyway, all those that are interested how some realistic features could be implemented to a game I recommend you try PR just to get an idea how different that game is from others out there.
Fixing a broken tyre:

PR is a great mod and it tells a lot (about pr and arma2) that the second most popular server in Arma2-verse is the password protected PR 0.15 beta server that TG hosts.

Also Invasion 1944 is close to the 2.6 release and with the fixed arma2 warping, that mod might as well be worth to investigate;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBEop9ETDko

#13 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

God how I hated the warping thing. I just wish it hadn't taken them 10 years to fix it.

I actually think the best thing to happen to Arma is the PR team breathing life into the non-existent multiplayer.

#14 Atkins

Atkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Official PR v0.15 Beta is now out. The main practical difference with the last v0.15 Beta is that there are now several servers and no more password needed to join the server. I suppose there are some fixes as well.

http://www.realitymo...a-released.html

Last weekend there was at best 2 servers full (100 players each) and both were at the top of the Arma2 server list so there seems to be a demand for a no-hassle-pvp gameplay for Arma2, and PR is just the right thing for it.

It seems that that you have to run PR with the latest A2 beta patch, as it seems that some are getting CTD's without the A2 beta patch. A2 beta patches can be found here:
http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php
And after u installed it just add -beta to the PR shortcut and you are good to go.

PR:Arma2 server list;
http://www.gametrack...yers&order=DESC

Edited by Atkins, 20 March 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#15 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

That's pretty impressive. Finally Arma2 has a multiplayer element that has been missing since the glorious OFP days.

Posted Image

#16 Atkins

Atkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:48 AM

PR like every other Arma2 mod took a hit in the player amounts when DayZ came and stole the Armascene but now those that bought Arma2 for Dayz have started to try other mods for Arma2 and PR is live and kicking again.

Those who haven't yet tried PR should do it. Just so u can see how the squad management works and FO building etc. What I like about PR is that there aren't fixed spawn positions but u literally have to build your own spawn positions (FO, hideouts, rally packs) and build them so that u don't have to run 1+ km to the cap but still so that enemy won't find and destroy your spawn position. So it is always tough choice how to arrange the logistics in the mod.

And don't get fooled by the name Project Reality. Imo the name is just a remnant from BF2. While PR has some realistic features on top of the vA2, it still isn't ACE. Atm PR is just a pure PvP mod for Arma2 which is easy to install and play. Something that was missing from A2 earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users