• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

just typed a "darkest hour" on google and was surprised when I saw our beloved darkest hour forum is no longer on top of the list :( It's been taken out by some movie with exact the same name that will be in 2011 :P

#2 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

fuuuuuuuuuu now darkest hour game has gone down to the second page.
Posted Image

#3 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

The problem is that this website/forums isn't Search Engine Optimized (SEO).

I have been throwing hints that this forum needs to be upgraded to vBulletin for two major reasons out of many major reasons to do so: (1) phpBB is just not designed for large communities and (2) vBulletin and IPBoard are both designed with SEO in mind. I even said I would buy a license and skin the forum for the devs, but they never seemed interested. It could be very well that they aren't interested because they don't have very much knowledge of forum software that I do. Because of that, they don't understand that there exist a real problem. That problem being that if you can't be found on Google, you aren't going to have traffic to your site. It's analogous to building a lemonade stand on residential cul-de-sac.

Example:
Pick any thread on the DH forums going back years ago and plug the text into Google. I promise you wont find it in Google. Now do the same task using Steam/BIS/TWI/Codemasters forums and you will easily find that text related to that specific thread.

Out of the box phpBB 3 is awful for SEO
http://www.phpbb.com... ... 30f6a4b3d0

[youtube:12oi5wss]hF515-0Tduk[/youtube:12oi5wss]
[youtube:12oi5wss]5y464kueVtk[/youtube:12oi5wss]

#4 kuopassa

kuopassa

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

One big problem is duplicate content as this forum can be accessed from forums.darkesthourgame.com and forums.jackbootgames.com. Both of them have exactly same content.

#5 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

One big problem is duplicate content as this forum can be accessed from forums.darkesthourgame.com and forums.jackbootgames.com. Both of them have exactly same content.

There isn't duplicate content when both links are directing you to the same server (208.109.138.56).

But a quick fix would be to broaden the tags to include more specific information related to Darkest Hour. But that still isn't going to fix that phpBB3 just isn't SEO.
Posted Image

#6 kuopassa

kuopassa

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

It is duplicate content if you get the same resource from more than one URL. :) Google doesn't put much weight on meta keywords etc., says this guy.

#7 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

It is duplicate content if you get the same resource from more than one URL.

No, there is only one mySQL database.

Google doesn't put much weight on meta keywords etc., says this guy.

You were saying?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 kuopassa

kuopassa

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Are you trolling? I can't tell. :D Content fetched from one database and spread to different domain addresses will make that content seem (in the eyes of search engines) that it's not unique. Those screenshots don't matter as search results can be very different in different parts of the world. Also those keywords most likely don't matter, but other factors, like the content on website and inbound links to it.

#9 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Content fetched from one database and spread to different domain addresses will make that content seem (in the eyes of search engines) that it's not unique.

What the hell does that even mean?

Are you trolling?

I'm trolling? I'm not the one that is saying there are two databases because there are two different URLs. You clearly think you are an expert at all things related to web development because you found some free website template for your Red Orchestra.net website. Oh, yeah, like it's so hard to drag and drop files to your webhost via an FTP client. You probably didn't even create the database yourself since most webhosters do that for you. Hell, even Godaddy and Host Gator you can pick an option that will install Joomla, Wordpress and other CMSs for you.

#10 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Doesn't laik thread :cry:
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#11 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Come here I'll give you some love! :wink:
Posted Image

#12 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

I just hate when people pretend to know something they clearly know nothing about. When people say crazy things I'm going to call them out on it. Because if you don't, then less educated people will believe them and spread a rumor that the reason DH isn't at the top of a search is because the problem is that there is forums.jackbootgames.com and forums.darkesthourgame.com, which is absolutely crazy talk.

Just to reiterate, the reason DH/JBG isn't at the top of the list on Google and other search engines is because the content being produced on this forum isn't being found on them. That's because phpBB blows. Not only is it bloatware, but it's pretty much abandonware. It's not SEO friendly, which is what you want if you want to bring traffic to your website. There are plenty of gamers, realism nuts and amatuer historians that would most likely find this game interesting and the things we discuss on here.

I find Rommel's postings more informative and interesting and the the stuff you find on Axis History Forums.

#13 kuopassa

kuopassa

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm trolling? I'm not the one that is saying there are two databases because there are two different URLs. You clearly think you are an expert at all things related to web development because you found some free website template for your Red Orchestra.net website. Oh, yeah, like it's so hard to drag and drop files to your webhost via an FTP client. You probably didn't even create the database yourself since most webhosters do that for you. Hell, even Godaddy and Host Gator you can pick an option that will install Joomla, Wordpress and other CMSs for you.

:) I didn't say there were two databases, but it doesn't matter if there would be two, three, four... If same content is shown in several domains, then search engines could think that that content isn't unique. If you have for example this forum's content shown in two different domains, it means duplicate content. This should be easy to understand.

I just hate when people pretend to know something they clearly know nothing about. When people say crazy things I'm going to call them out on it. Because if you don't, then less educated people will believe them and spread a rumor that the reason DH isn't at the top of a search is because the problem is that there is forums.jackbootgames.com and forums.darkesthourgame.com, which is absolutely crazy talk.

Actually I mentioned that serving identical content in two domains is part of the problem why this forum isn't on top of search results.

#14 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:45 AM

Actually I mentioned that serving identical content in two domains is part of the problem why this forum isn't on top of search results.

I'm not concerned with two domains, because I doubt they are going to keep the DH url once they unleash their company website. Yeah, there will probably do like most game developers and have the company website/forums and then a dedicated page for their product (DH2/Project 2).

#15 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

Posted Image

Complicated

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#16 Father Ted

Father Ted

Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Come here I'll give you some love! :wink:

Brave, brave man Guillemette...

#17 Doggzillen

Doggzillen

Elite Veteran