• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Lightning

Blue Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:22 AM

Because RO:2 hasnt gone over well at all, espicially with the tanking community, all the tankers came back to DH. Because of this, I think DH will have a lot longer life than previously thought. Therefore, I think another patch is in order! :D

For the Germans I would pick the Hetzer for sure...and mabye something odd like the Brummbar.

For the allies Im not sure. Mabye the Jumbo 76, and something else. What do you think?

#2 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I would seriously be disappointed if the team spent even a single second more on DH1. They provided the code with the last update and there are modders in the community who are talented enough to add in the kind of "new" content you're talking about. I want DH2, and I want it NAOW! :mrgreen:

Posted Image

#3 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Not sure what but something should be done to cultivate this wind fall before any renewed interest is lost to something prettier.
Posted Image

#4 Masterson

Masterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Any new tank will simply get lumped into Super-heavy maps and will never get used in any real fashion.

I am seeing myself playing less and less DH when half the time I hop online the only two maps with people are "Donner-bolts only" and "Super Ultra Heavy XXXXX". The DH community kills itself; you have a great game with potential for intense realistic battles, yet people only want to play on DODS maps with bolt action rifles and sandbox tank maps.

What a waste of potential!
Posted Image

#5 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

"Donner-bolts only"

This was created as a training map for us, which we use to warm up before drill sessions, it has also become popular with some other public players, but I would hardly say that our server is usually playing it. Berlin, Hill 400, Juno, Raids seem to be the fashion at the moment.

If you have suggestions for map additions to our server you can post on our Forums.

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#6 Basnett

Basnett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Any new tank will simply get lumped into Super-heavy maps and will never get used in any real fashion.

I am seeing myself playing less and less DH when half the time I hop online the only two maps with people are "Donner-bolts only" and "Super Ultra Heavy XXXXX". The DH community kills itself; you have a great game with potential for intense realistic battles, yet people only want to play on DODS maps with bolt action rifles and sandbox tank maps.

What a waste of potential!

This is not an accurate assessment of the game at this point. That Donner map is played almost exclusively by the 29th in their drills or on very rare occasions on the public server.

#7 Matt UK

Matt UK

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Trying out quite a few new maps on JR, including Gran, OP-Tractable, Kommerscheidt V1. And maps like Cagny, Lutremange and Merderet Bridge are already up there with the most popular maps. Lot more variety recently; long may it continue. 8)

EDIT: Our server just crashed and right now there are 30-odd people happily playing Brecourt, the default re-start map !! I offered via webadmin to change it back to the tank map they had been playing, but only got one taker so I left it.

#8 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Matt]Trying out quite a few new maps on JR, including Gran, OP-Tractable, Kommerscheidt V1. And maps like Cagny, Lutremange and Merderet Bridge are already up there with the most popular maps. Lot more variety recently; long may it continue. 8)

EDIT: Our server just crashed and right now there are 30-odd people happily playing Brecourt, the default re-start map !! I offered via webadmin to change it back to the tank map they had been playing, but only got one taker so I left it.

I must say, we've been having a ressurgence with Large CA and tank maps, (Vieux, Bridgehead, Putot, Wacht) recently, so maybe DH is diversifying a little bit. I would love another server to be populated regularly like FK used to be.

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#9 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I wouldn't mind another patch to maybe fix a few bugs or something (Not sure if I've seen any).

But I'd rather them just crack on with DH2.
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#10 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm sorry to burst any bubbles, but there is a slim to none chance of another official update for DH1. We have turned our efforts 100% to the new game. As always, we will answer any questions people may have about the code, etc. From what I understand, there are still new vehicles, maps, and weapons being developed for DH1 by community modders. That's what we were hoping would continue to happen :wink:

3ka2.png

#11 Matt UK

Matt UK

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

I've always fully understood and agreed with the stance of no more official updates, but ......

..... let's assume community modders make a whole bunch of fantastic new vehicles, maps, weapons, etc and there is broad agreement that they are high quality and useful additions. Think Basnett's call to arms projects, Vierville, Rekrut's port of the hetzer (WIP). And maybe fix the odd minor bug that is noticed too - again where there is consensus that it was a bug and the fix is a good one.

Would JG consider releasing that as as say DH 5.2?

Done it a way that reduces the work required by JG to an absolute minimum, so no big publicity campaign and if necessary leaving custom content as separate files rather than repackaging into DH_Vehicles etc. So really just adding new maps and content to the official download product. We do get new players showing up all the time, so good if they have all the files rather than joining a server and seeing file after file download.

I seem to remember someone saying that you were permitted two releases a year through Steam. I know they have to be released through Tripwire, so I wonder if their position would be the key factor in this? I'm sure they know by now that you aren't going to embarrass their product, so I think they'd only do a quick (if any) check and forward files to Steam. So no biggie for them in terms of workload. OK, you are developing a new game but I doubt TW see DH1 as a threat and in fact they do continue to pick up a trickle of sales from RO1. If JG would consider it (and I appreciate that's an if) then maybe you could sound out TW?

#12 Theel

Theel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

The community's content I think is more than enough. Vierville can't be official, it uses way too many outside resources. The same goes for the rest of my community maps. There are some other projects underway that you should be very interested in once they get finished and go through testing. The trick is to keep filesizes small so people don't spend 10 mins downloading. Hell 5 is too long, I'd say a couple of minutes max. There are many community maps that could be upgraded visually and game play so players can enjoy them. Just stay around and pay attention to level, mutators, content releases. Things will come together I feel and the community will keep producing quality stuff.
Posted Image
Current Project: Darkest Hour 6.0

#13 Mikeedude

Mikeedude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

If new content can't be released via steam, then maybe grouping it together as a bundle and using a cache extractor to stick it all in the right place may help. People can't seem to be bothered d/l individual maps (especially if it goes through several betas) but may use the extractor and downloader instead.

#14 Blue Lightning

Blue Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

The community's content I think is more than enough. Vierville can't be official, it uses way too many outside resources.

Oh I love VierVille! Think of the best WWII SP game ever made..."Call of Duty 1". The very beggining of that game with the Americans parachuting in to the French town behind German lines, the AA flak everwhere in the sky, AA mini-bases with radio static coming from radio's...remember? That's Veirville.

#15 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Oh I love VierVille! Think of the best WWII SP game ever made..."Call of Duty 1". The very beggining of that game with the Americans parachuting in to the French town behind German lines, the AA flak everwhere in the sky, AA mini-bases with radio static coming from radio's...remember? That's Veirville.

I thought that was St Mere Eglise.
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#16 Masterson

Masterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

I'd have to agree; the effects of planes and AA overhead really added to the atmosphere. I also felt the beginning of the Russian campaign was more moving than any other COD. The sad orchestra playing, running at machine guns unarmed, everyone shouting, all really captured the atmosphere well. But I think in COD it was St Mere Eglise. However, the DH custom map Veirville does a good job of capturing that feel.
Posted Image

#17 Blue Lightning

Blue Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

I thought that was St Mere Eglise.

Yes I meant Vierville feels like St Mere.

I'd have to agree; the effects of planes and AA overhead really added to the atmosphere. I also felt the beginning of the Russian campaign was more moving than any other COD. The sad orchestra playing, running at machine guns unarmed, everyone shouting, all really captured the atmosphere well. But I think in COD it was St Mere Eglise. However, the DH custom map Veirville does a good job of capturing that feel.

Yes indeed! It really does. The paratroops, the flak firing up at them, the big planes overhead...a full moon. Great level, and I generally like the tank maps the best, not infantry. But this one is so much like COD 1.

I also agree with the Russian campaign in that game. The charge on Red Square. The music in Cod 1 (and the add on: Cod United offensive) really gave the game a "personal feel"...like your really part of something. CoD 2 didnt have that, nor did the others that followed. Plus it had the hardest level ever seen in a video game. Try beating "Pavolovs house" (which is a true story) on "veteran mode". I dont think it can be done.

#18 Schneller

Schneller

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

If you guys knew what we are planning for FE----you wouldn't want to take us away from it for a moment. I can understand the critical comments posted above, we are not getting all out of DH of which it is capable but, I don't know what the Dev's (at this point) can do about it. I feel the same frustrations about some of these issues myself but....what can be done is to move on and create the game this community has had in its mind for years. A game unrestricted by many of the external elements that have held us back from doing what we have really wanted for so long a time.

It is hard to be patient, waiting for a gap to be filled. But, have confidence that that much will come right with the release of Festung Europa
Posted Image

Wilsonam wrote: But, as someone said - perhaps just a touch too anal for a game

WUK: What! Thats impossible! Blasphemie!

#19 Blue Lightning

Blue Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

Is FE using the Red Orchestra engine? Or is it RO 2?

Oh, and here is something I didnt know about. From Wiki:

In 1945, some British Shermans were fitted with a rail on either side of the turret for two "60 lb" (27 kg) high explosive 3 inch rockets. These were used at the Rhine Crossing by the tanks of a single squadron of the 1st Coldstream Guards. These tanks, called "Sherman Tulips", were conventional Shermans and Fireflies. The rockets, accurate when fired from aircraft, were less accurate when fired from a tank as they were being fired from a stationary point and had little slipstream over the fins. Despite this, the RP-3 was effective when its 60 pound warhead hit the target.

I'd like to see the Sherman "Tulips" :D

EDIT: Holy crap I just found this about the The Sherman Rocket Launcher T34 (Calliope) :o
Link http://en.wikipedia....ki/T34_Calliope

Did you guys know we had this tank in WWII? :o

#20 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Neither. It's a standalone game developed with the UDK.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users