16 replies to this topic

#1 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm making this thread where I'm basically going to edit and update with a list of all my ideas and suggestions instead of making a whole new thread for every little idea I get. I will also post my old Ideas into this thread.

Jörg Biermman's Festung Europa Ideas and Suggestions

Accents
What I think would be good for Festung Europa is to have multiple accents which the mapper can then chose for the classes in his map.

For example. The British can have two different accents, Northern and Southern. Maybe even make Scottish or Irish accents too.

Then when the mapper is doing his thing. In the class properties he has the option to chose what set of accents that class uses. Then imagine a game with Southern English infantry and Irish tankers.

This was just a stupid idea I had.

Attacking/Defending Map Balance

Hey, I've had this idea but I reminded myself to post it when Rinaldi was getting annoyed with players always joining the denfensive side and the attacking side always having 1 players less.

So my idea was basically to change the way balance works. Balance right now it done by the Server Admins and the server keeps the same ratio. My small idea is to just change that into the balance changed to the Mapper. The mapper should be able to choose what ratio of attackers/defenders. This is so maps can be more balanced even though the teams are not fully balanced.

For example a map like Omaha does not need exactly 50/50 attackers/defenders. The attackers need a lot more players. But other maps the attackers might only need a few more players to help balance it out.

Hopefully you understand what I mean.

Ingame Name NOT Steam Name
Ok, I'm going to post this suggestion extra early because it annoys me so deeply.

In FE please make it so you can chose your name ingame. I hate all these new games that make you use your steam name. This is really annoying for people like me who like to not wear clan tags on their steam name or use different names for different games...

Bren Suggestions - Shooting and Barrel Changes (FE)
Ok so we all know how annoying it is to be killed by some run and gunner Bren hip shooter. Well here are some suggestions that I think will make the Bren more realistic and more balanced. Also this is mainly a Darkest Hour 2 suggestion but could be added in DH (Unlikely). I'm basically making lots of idea threads on all the things in DH that I think should be changed for FE.

Overheating and Barrel Changing - Yes the barrel on the Bren did overheat. The Bren had also a changeble barrel on it. (Thats what the Handle on the Barrel is for). I think that the Barrel should overheat and have to be changed for realism and also for balance against the MGs of the Germans. This will also balance it a bit more because you won't get people just shooting away like mad men, you will get people actually shooting in bursts trying to not overheat the barrel.

Shoulder Shooting - The Bren shouldn't be able to shoulder shoot. It was very awkward for someone to shoulder shoot a Bren. I'm not saying that it's impossible. I'm just saying that it is very unlikely that someone would do it in WW2.

Hip Shooting - In Bren manuals and also Bren Trainings. The Bren is used from the Hip for Close Quarters. But you can't just hip shoot it like you can in DH. You need to brace yourself for it. The Bren needs to be a lot more like the MG34 in DH. You should have to Right Click to brace yourself and then start shooting from the hip. Below I'll post a image from a manual on how they stood when Hip firing. This was the only image I could find.

Posted Image

Resupplying Ammo to Machine Gunners
I've never really liked the way Machine Gunners basically have an unlimited amount of ammo in DH. Basically you get resupplied by others so often you never really run low. I was thinking of ways to make this more realistic. One way which I think would be cool was to have it that players pick up Ammo Boxes from Ammo Depots and carry these small boxes and give them to the Machine Gunners.

So basically after picking up a box you hold your gun in one hand (So only people with Rifles and small weapons can carry ammo), while carrying you don't need to lose any speed but you will lose the ability to shoot your gun. Then say you suddenly spot an enemy, by switching to any other weapon you drop the Ammo Box to the floor, then you can pick it back up when it's safe. Then by just dropping it at the Machine Gunner, he will get the ammo.

Posted Image

MDVs in Festung Europa
Now when I first heard about MDVs being added to DH when I was in beta testing, I fucking hated the idea. I'm glad to see that the MDVs didn't really replace normal Halftracks and are only on a small amount of maps. The main map that uses MDVs in Bridgehead, and this is why I hate them. The Allies on Bridgehead always drive the MDVs completely around the Axis defences (Lack of Minefields protecting the Axis spawn areas), also Allies always drive behind the axis spawn and destroy the Pak guns. What normally happens is they hide the MDV in a bush and normally attack from behind or camp the defenders spawn. This is the big no no in MDVs.

What I like about MDVs is that Halftracks are normally full now which seems a lot more realistic, I love seeing full halftracks getting hit by a tank but only destroying the engine and seeing lots of infantry all bail out. This seems a lot better than a load of halftracks driving around with 1 or 2 guys in it.

So I propose. Instead of MDVs always spawning people in. Instead make a timer that activates when the MDV has left a radius out of spawn and people have a limited time to spawn inside the Halftrack. This way, when the halftrack actually gets to it's objective it will most likely be full and it will also stop the stupid bush spawn camping problem.

Temperature
I know this won't be that an issue in the intial release of Festung Europa because the initial release will be June 1944, but what I would love to see in a game is where temperature affects how effective you are handling a gun. When you are cold you shake a lot and it's sure is hard as hell trying to keep a rifle straight when you are shaking and freezing your ass off. So I would love to see something where you can change the temperature in a map and it makes things like sway increase a lot or maybe shake a little too.

Character Customization
So going back to this topic http://forums.jackbo...nteresting-poll . Devs were asking people if they think Festng Europa should have slight character customization. I would absolutely love to see this ingame. Things as small as being a ble to pick your Helmet cover and what camo Smock you wear will be great for the game. I think that it should be made that the mapper controls what things are pickable in his map, for example if someone makes a winter map, the mapper can make it so you have to wear a Smock or Parka and not just a Tunic on its own. Also I think that Festung Europa should take inspiration from Resistance and Liberations slight Character Customization. I think you should choose your uniform while in game.
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#2 SINFAXI

SINFAXI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Jörg Biermman's Festung Europa Ideas and Suggestions

Very lofty of you.
Posted Image
Bestätigt Tötet: 42

#3 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Very lofty of you.

Hells Yeah!
Posted Image

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#4 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

What about ammo Belt like this?

Posted Image
the 2 have ammo belts on themself, not boxes ;)

Posted Image

For the rest I'm OK with that, especially that bren gun and Map balance thing totally agree
Posted Image

#5 samthegreat4

samthegreat4

Festung Europa Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Resupplying Ammo to Machine Gunners
I've never really liked the way Machine Gunners basically have an unlimited amount of ammo in DH. Basically you get resupplied by others so often you never really run low. I was thinking of ways to make this more realistic. One way which I think would be cool was to have it that players pick up Ammo Boxes from Ammo Depots and carry these small boxes and give them to the Machine Gunners.

So basically after picking up a box you hold your gun in one hand (So only people with Rifles and small weapons can carry ammo), while carrying you don't need to lose any speed but you will lose the ability to shoot your gun. Then say you suddenly spot an enemy, by switching to any other weapon you drop the Ammo Box to the floor, then you can pick it back up when it's safe. Then by just dropping it at the Machine Gunner, he will get the ammo.

Actually a pretty cool idea, I think. Stimulates teamwork and makes people care about their buddies.

#6 Frontliner

Frontliner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Actually a pretty cool idea, I think. Stimulates teamwork and makes people care about their buddies.

When playing realism mods such as Project Reality, I've witnessed people entirely taking care of the logistics, spotting targets without firing their weapon at all during the match, doing the transporting job for troop reinforcements via land, sea and air, often with other like-minded people. Implementing pre-existing squads for the aforementioned task will lead you to people utilizing it. Giving us the option to hand over some ammo(of course there has to be some necessity in there to do that in the first place) will be utilized. Although it appears to be somewhat of a fancy dream that there might be players helpful enough to do the dirty job when it's just a game, I am quite happy to tell you, there are more than the Devs realize, all we need is a) the ability to do it and B) a necessity to do this. We don't even want nor need rewards or achievements for this, the most fun I have when playing Project Reality is while I stroll through the countryside with my squad thinking about how we gonna attack the next position, which route offers the most cover, who takes the point. The intense talk adds to the experience, and nobody wants to let his mates down.

Thinking about the MGs, maybe have 2 slots for the MG, called MG1 and MG2. If only the MG1 slot is taken, the MG1 will carry his maximum capacity of ammo, leading him to be quite slow on the battlefield, vulnerable as JB suggested because he can't shoot at all and largely handicapped when it comes to going prone and bringing up his machine gun in the correct position because of the amount of stuff hes carrying around. But, if someone takes the MG2, he takes up the other half of the ammo, or 3/4 of it, and being nearby to your MG causes him to give ammo to the MG1 when he needs it. Maybe adding in some binoculars for the spotting job to aid the MG1 further, although this depends whether or not this can be justified by the real equipment which was handed out. I can confirm the existance of an MG1 and MG2 though, the Bundeswehr still goes with this today.

#7 jefaus

jefaus

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Some interesting things are being discussed here. Should certain support weapons, like mortars, anti-tank weapons and medium machineguns and their ammunition and spare barrels be deliberately broken up into load portions?

It does make sense that this should be the case. A Rifleman can optionally carry the kit for such weapons, but it does slow him down, reduces his ability to run continuously. That is why in all squads/sections there were always a couple soldiers who didn't carry this extra load, and were scouts for the rest of the party. Also, nothing stops soldiers from dumping this extra kit for more mobility in the middle of a fight, i.e. after setting up the support weapon in question.
--- The Killer of Threads! ---

For whoever habitually suppresses the truth in the interests of tact will produce a deformity from the womb of his thought. - B.H. Liddell Hart

#8 Otto Fuhrmann

Otto Fuhrmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Maybe even make Scottish or Irish accents too.

I volunteer my services if they actually do this. I can do an okay Irish accent I like to think. :heh:

Posted Image
SS-Scharführer Otto Führmann

A Knight without armour in a savage land.

#9 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I added a new suggestion on the list.

MDVs in Festung Europa
Now when I first heard about MDVs being added to DH when I was in beta testing, I fucking hated the idea. I'm glad to see that the MDVs didn't really replace normal Halftracks and are only on a small amount of maps. The main map that uses MDVs in Bridgehead, and this is why I hate them. The Allies on Bridgehead always drive the MDVs completely around the Axis defences (Lack of Minefields protecting the Axis spawn areas), also Allies always drive behind the axis spawn and destroy the Pak guns. What normally happens is they hide the MDV in a bush and normally attack from behind or camp the defenders spawn. This is the big no no in MDVs.

What I like about MDVs is that Halftracks are normally full now which seems a lot more realistic, I love seeing full halftracks getting hit by a tank but only destroying the engine and seeing lots of infantry all bail out. This seems a lot better than a load of halftracks driving around with 1 or 2 guys in it.

So I propose. Instead of MDVs always spawning people in. Instead make a timer that activates when the MDV has left a radius out of spawn and people have a limited time to spawn inside the Halftrack. This way, when the halftrack actually gets to it's objective it will most likely be full and it will also stop the stupid bush spawn camping problem.

Posted Image

#10 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

I added a new suggestion on the list.

Nice, I had a thought a while ago what if the chappa'ai HT (mdv) instead of spawning a bunch of people was limited to only spawning enough players to fill HT. So if 1 guy takes the HT 11 more players would spawn ( HTs had 12 people when filled not 8!) that way technically you'd never have an HT that was only manned by 1 or 2 people and it would also keep it from spawning players after that. Could also allow it to reset if you drive it back to spawn which might encourage people not to waste the HTs.

gar83IX.gif

#11 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

I actually forgot about this thread. I had a little idea and felt like adding it in the list.

Temperature
I know this won't be that an issue in the intial release of Festung Europa because the initial release will be June 1944, but what I would love to see in a game is where temperature affects how effective you are handling a gun. When you are cold you shake a lot and it's sure is hard as hell trying to keep a rifle straight when you are shaking and freezing your ass off. So I would love to see something where you can change the temperature in a map and it makes things like sway increase a lot or maybe shake a little too.

Posted Image

#12 tomppelix

tomppelix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

thats how it works in the WW2 Online game! and i like it! check the game out tho... =)
simo häyhä = white death
705 kills in 101 days
sniper, sithout scopes, usually 250 - 500 meters killed...
:high 5:

#13 Porsche

Porsche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Bier man I like your ideas.

#14 SilentAssassin

SilentAssassin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:41 AM

I was thinking about having an mg assistant role for the game. They could carry some ammo boxes and belts and they would also have to the possibility of spotting and calling out targets for the mg. As for their weapon, I would just give them a kar98k. The ammo boxes or belts should add weight to the soldier too, so they should be slower than the standard rifleman.

#15 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:08 PM

1. MG1/2: Great idea.  Bonus points for hauling ammo crates to MG's?  Great idea.  Some way to communicate where you are when you need more ammo?  Even better.
  2. Hip firing BREN/BAR?  Yup.  Watch someone in their 60/70's do walking fire with both.  https://youtu.be/c-CfuvCHq4I
  3. Shoulder straps should definitely be standard for all weapons.

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#16 SolitarioSoldat

SolitarioSoldat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:14 AM

all ideas seem good, but the temperature idea is over kill.

#17 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:48 AM

all ideas seem good, but the temperature idea is over kill.

Actually, on winter maps, having shuddering breath, coughing, shaking hands (especially while trying to reload your weapon), and fog in the air from your breath would be really immersive.

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users