Photo
- - - - -

Which map would you like to see in Festung Europa?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

I like to make maps and I was wondering what you guys would like to see as maps for Festung Europa, what village or regions?

#2 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

I like to make maps and I was wondering what you guys would like to see as maps for Festung Europa, what village or regions?

To be honest. I'd rather see a massive amount of Commonwealth Vs German maps in Normandy before I see anything else. I had the same opinion about RO2, I wanted most of Stalingrad to be completed before historical mappers started in other places.

But something I'm looking forward to, would be The Merville Battery or Pegasus Bridge. Carpiquet Airfield I've also wanted for a long time.

Also Leo, Nice to see you've migrated from the shithole of Tripwire forums to this sanctuary. It may be a lot more quiet than Tripwire but the community is ten times better.
Posted Image
Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#3 Leo

Leo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hey Jörg, great to see you there as well, I've lost all hopes for RO2 as well so I'm looking for alternatives that will come in the future and this seems like the best place to be for this.

My question is very open but what I had in mind is mainly Commonwealth vs German places that would be meaningful for the game. I have a bit less knowledge about this conflict than the eastern front so I'm just trying to find starting points :)

So I take it you are back playing a lot of Darkest Hour?

Thanks for your suggestions I'll read about them

#4 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

Definetly All battles agaisn't 12 SS! (Authie, Buron, Putot, Bretteville, CARPIQUET(could be 2-3 maps atleast 2cdn and 1 germ. C-A),etc) June to July up to the end of Caen.

Polish Mont Ormel Crazy battles, Verriere Ridge, Bourgebus Ridge.

Hill 112!!

I'm also up for some battle with the paratroopers for smaller scale battle. Some crazy actions went down there, not only benouville.

Also some pocket action to end this for some last resort german offensive maps.

Some pics for inspiration :)

Bretteville:
http://www.canadaatw...ype=Media_Large

Pretty Much anything on that map:
Posted Image

Painting
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Putot-en-Bessin should be ported over as a stock map, it covers the right area, gives consistency and already exists and plays pretty well. With a few tweaks it could be a real centrepiece of CA action.

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#6 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Putot-en-Bessin should be ported over as a stock map, it covers the right area, gives consistency and already exists and plays pretty well. With a few tweaks it could be a real centrepiece of CA action.

What I really like, is the map is build on the real buildings, I research for hours giving Akyo pics and all. To get as close to reality as possible, with as close to reality distance and all. At the end, sure there is some fantasy stuff. But we did set up a hard fight battle, with dug in canadians. I think that's why CA works so well. In Real Life Panthers were not supporting the infantry compagny they did fight in the fields next to the village. But heh that's why It's a game :). But What I ''dream'' of in DH2, is more maps with Real Life distance fights and more or less replica of the actual towns. Each one I've played with that concept worked really good. But then, it takes a shitload of time to build, and alot and a lot of research. I'm not too sure if it's realistic to have everysingle map like thatm but that would be awsome. And then you let custom mappers have more fantasy map (wich are ok too!).
Posted Image

#7 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

What I really like, is the map is build on the real buildings, I research for hours giving Akyo pics and all. To get as close to reality as possible, with as close to reality distance and all. At the end, sure there is some fantasy stuff. But we did set up a hard fight battle, with dug in canadians. I think that's why CA works so well. In Real Life Panthers were not supporting the infantry compagny they did fight in the fields next to the village. But heh that's why It's a game :). But What I ''dream'' of in DH2, is more maps with Real Life distance fights and more or less replica of the actual towns. Each one I've played with that concept worked really good. But then, it takes a shitload of time to build, and alot and a lot of research. I'm not too sure if it's realistic to have everysingle map like thatm but that would be awsome. And then you let custom mappers have more fantasy map (wich are ok too!).

Well most maps on DH are based off of the real places.. I don't actually know that many maps in DH which are fantasy.
Posted Image

...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

#8 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yes I agree, but what I mean, is real buildings, not only real place. And I know DH team is good at putting relativly good TO&E and putting in the different key element of the battle.
But I just wish it was more of a replica, wich is really hard to do.
Posted Image

#9 Jörg Biermann

Jörg Biermann

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Well most maps are made on top of a topo of the area so the buildings are normally in the right places but don't always look exactly like they did, which is good enough in my opinion. Important buildings like Churchs should always be made as accurately as possible.
Posted Image

#10 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

I would like too see some maps of the 89.Inf.-Div. fighting around Fontenay le Marmion and St. Gerain le Vasson during totalize in early August or the 85.Inf.-Div. fighting around the Laison river near Assy and Rouvres during the same period. Ohh and don't forget the fighting of "Das Reich" in the Champosoult - Mont-Ormel - Frenee area in late August!

If anybody needs any info of the 12.SS "HJ" just give me the date and I can sort you out.
Posted Image
SS-Obersturmführer u. Zugführer i. d. 1./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt "Deutschland"

#11 ROMMEL 34

ROMMEL 34

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

would like to see as maps for Festung Europa, what village or regions?

A working version of Schutzesepp's Stosser map even though its probably not commonwealth.
Alles für Deutschland!

#12 Ernst

Ernst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Stosser is in the Ardennes and yes they fought against the Amis.
Posted Image
SS-Obersturmführer u. Zugführer i. d. 1./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt "Deutschland"

#13 Atkins

Atkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Just port Schutzesepp's maps to FE and make them bigger and even better, if possible :D

#14 Otto Fuhrmann

Otto Fuhrmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

For tanks I'd enjoy to see a new and improved version of Le Monderie.

Posted Image
SS-Scharführer Otto Führmann

A Knight without armour in a savage land.

#15 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

I'd Like to see the final Town of Gran as a standalone map with Infantry clearing out a last pocket of fanatical resistance in bunkers and attics and through the streets. I love that town, hate the map.

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#16 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I would love to follow the 3rd Canadian infantry Division through the first few days of the landing.

Abbaye d'ardene, Putot, Menil Patry, Breteville, Buron, etc.

Some good Fight with the 12SS!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 short-fuse

short-fuse

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

Battle of Hochwald Gap...

http://civilianmilit...-never-heard-of

#18 Rico

Rico

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

I would love to see a return of the DH-Berlin map.
Allied troops fighting in Berlin is a-historic, but the layout, mechanics, ebb and flow of the map are nearly perfect and I enjoyed many games both as the attacker and defender.

So what I'm saying is, give us this kind of dark, gritty unforgiving house-to-house, block-by-block city fighting.
A possible scenario could be the Battle of Aachen in October 1944 (US involvement instead of Common Wealth, but maybe something for a future inclusion of US troops?).

Here is what Wikipedia has to say, I'm sure there are more detailed and accurate sources on the battle available:

The 26th Infantry's initial attack on 13 October provided important insight on the nature of the fighting; American infantry had been ambushed by German defenders using sewers and cellars, forcing the advancing American infantry to clear each opening before continuing down streets, while Sherman tanks found it impossible to maneuver to suppress enemy fire. [...] Success in Aachen was measured by the number of houses captured, as the advance proved to be sluggish; in order to cope with the thick walls of the older buildings in the city, the 26th Infantry Regiment used the howitzer at point blank range to destroy German fortifications. The howitzer allowed infantrymen to advance from building to building without having to enter the city's streets, where they could be pinned down by enemy fire. Sherman tanks were ambushed, as they entered intersections, by concealed German anti-tank guns. Soon thereafter, American tanks and other armored vehicles would advance cautiously, oftentimes shooting buildings ahead of the accompanying infantry to clear them of possible defenders. [...] German resistance was fierce,as they launched small counterattacks and used armor to halt American movements.
Wikipedia on the Battle of Aachen

One could actually nearly copy the design and layout of the biggest part of DH-Berlin, as only the last part of that map, including the Lehrter Bahnhof open space and subsequent Spree bridge, are very Berlin specific. Aachen has no river within the city radius and the Lehrter Bahnhof place is too iconic for the city of Berlin, the rest is generic city streets and blocks.
Posted Image

#19 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I for one am so tired of cloisterous, stiffed up maps of so called rattenkrieg. We've had a such a massive abundance of this type for the last 10 years of ww2 fps games. Why not show people that Arma kind of type or DH-Bridgehead at least can actually be very immersive and more fun than the runan'gun Leningrads? TWI already has given us a flagrant ratenkrieg-fps where after playing one can get so sick that it becomes repulsive. Who needs another one especially that on the same engine is being made?

Rattenkrieg fps games have always been over-pandered in numerous games such as cods, dods etc... so I'd hope that JBG would decide to stay away from it and dedicate mostly to more mature long to medium distance realistic platoon-level infantry exchanges where both sides get at each other in a sort of combined, organised fashion on maps with a lot of latitude of freedom for squads and their leaders to choose what they decide to do, whether to occupy a village or leave it as a trap, hide behind it in a nearby woods and let the enemy flatten the village before advancing under a deceptive subterfuge scheme of the squad and such...

#20 Rico

Rico

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I for one am so tired of cloisterous, stiffed up maps of so called rattenkrieg. We've had a such a massive abundance of this type for the last 10 years of ww2 fps games. Why not show people that Arma kind of type or DH-Bridgehead at least can actually be very immersive and more fun than the runan'gun Leningrads? TWI already has given us a flagrant ratenkrieg-fps where after playing one can get so sick that it becomes repulsive. Who needs another one especially that on the same engine is being made?

Rattenkrieg fps games have always been over-pandered in numerous games such as cods, dods etc... so I'd hope that JBG would decide to stay away from it and dedicate mostly to more mature long to medium distance realistic platoon-level infantry exchanges where both sides get at each other in a sort of combined, organised fashion on maps with a lot of latitude of freedom for squads and their leaders to choose what they decide to do, whether to occupy a village or leave it as a trap, hide behind it in a nearby woods and let the enemy flatten the village before advancing under a deceptive subterfuge scheme of the squad and such...

I have to strongly disagree with your post.

The Battle for Aachen, taking place in October 1944 after Operation Market Garden, was the harbinger of more costly operations to come, namely the increase of intensity of the Hürtgenwald operations then already going on since September, and the Ardennenoffensive starting in December. Aachen was the first city on German soil to be assaulted and taken after the breakthrough at the Siegfried Line, and the Americans soon discovered that despite facing 2nd and 3rd rate units, the Germans were not out of the fight yet. Aachen is a must from my point of view to have if and when the Americans enter the Festung Europa.

I find that DH_Berlin fits this description perfectly - this map is too good not to have a succesor of it in FE. Also, it would be only one of maximum two city fighting maps, in FE, the other one possibly being Caen. Also, scenarios like Villers-Bocage would have you experience intense close combat situations without actually being in a city.

You cannot let that one go just because TWI and others lack the vision and skill to do proper urban operations maps.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users