Photo
- - - - -

Which map would you like to see in Festung Europa?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Many maps in DH are wonderfully done, I just wish there are more flexibility even in urban maps. So many times, players are thrown into meat-grinder objectives.

Bridgehead is one of those "tank maps" that allows enough cover to cover for infantry units to realistically move around the map without getting HE-sniped. I agree, I enjoy open objectives and breaks between brutal close combat and 500m~ engagements.

However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! DH has a wonderful variation and selection of enjoyable maps. I wouldn't want to take away pure CQB and pure large tank maps away. There's a great spectrum in between.
Posted Image
"Nach Drill und Dreck, Gibt's Erbsen mit Speck, Aus der Gulaschkanone~"

#22 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Many maps in DH are wonderfully done, I just wish there are more flexibility even in urban maps.

Could you elaborate?

#23 sulman

sulman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

I for one am so tired of cloisterous, stiffed up maps of so called rattenkrieg. We've had a such a massive abundance of this type for the last 10 years of ww2 fps games. Why not show people that Arma kind of type or DH-Bridgehead at least can actually be very immersive and more fun than the runan'gun Leningrads? TWI already has given us a flagrant ratenkrieg-fps where after playing one can get so sick that it becomes repulsive. Who needs another one especially that on the same engine is being made?

Rattenkrieg fps games have always been over-pandered in numerous games such as cods, dods etc... so I'd hope that JBG would decide to stay away from it and dedicate mostly to more mature long to medium distance realistic platoon-level infantry exchanges where both sides get at each other in a sort of combined, organised fashion on maps with a lot of latitude of freedom for squads and their leaders to choose what they decide to do, whether to occupy a village or leave it as a trap, hide behind it in a nearby woods and let the enemy flatten the village before advancing under a deceptive subterfuge scheme of the squad and such...

What's wrong with Leningrad? One of the best maps from RO1 that I enjoy to this day.

I get your point, though. RO2 really screwed the pooch on this; far too many maps are CQB murder pits. That being said, sometimes when I play DH I laugh to myself and think "Aaah, another European Village. This one is in the fog. This one is also snowy. Ahh, Europe."

#24 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Ah, just map borders. An opportunity of taking a HT full of guys covered by a Pz.IV into the flank of a village that is typically a meat-grinder length-wise.
Posted Image

#25 Schneller

Schneller

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

I knew what Landrik meant. By increasing the realism of some of our weapons, we are increasing the lethality (when in the hands of skilled players). We MUST offer cover and concealment on maps that have these powerful and deadly weapons.

After all, players must survive in order to maneuver! We want more team work....you must have survivors to preserve the team! While some of the future maps may be "Meat Grinders" we are committed to creating maps that allow for a wide variety of tactics to be used to achieve victory. In short, you'll see both kinds of map and some types you haven't seen before from the RO/DH world.
Posted Image

Wilsonam wrote: But, as someone said - perhaps just a touch too anal for a game

WUK: What! Thats impossible! Blasphemie!

#26 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:22 AM

Well, something I like about DH is that with patience and skill, I can actually pick off targets at 500m+, however I must take actual in-game time to line up the shot and have my rifle rested. Very realistic.

Also, people have problems with how "slow" the men move in RO. Well, having all that wool, gear, munitions, and weaponry on you (from a light MP stosstrupp on patrol to a man carrying a mortar plate and rounds) that shit wears you down. Even default movement is at a jog that is painful to keep up for an extended period of time.

Going off topic again.

I'm eager to see what's new for FE maps and what's brought back from DH. I'm sure we'll have talent come back to do what they do best.
Posted Image

#27 sulman

sulman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

I don't think running speed is an issue at all in RO1/DH. It's a debate that has come up a lot more since HOS was released, but I think it is a red herring. Higher running speed is one thing, but unrealistic mobility is quite another, and that is the cause of most of my issues with HOS.

It isn't as off-topic as you think. Being able to move quicker completely changes the dynamic of a map; it is the difference between taking a half-track and thinking: "You know what? I can run it. It's quicker and probably more surviveable." Unless you're talking the scale of Arma, that becomes a choice. It also affects team work, as I think individual units can become rapidly dispersed in any given area.

#28 Masterson

Masterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

People are generally inpatient in terms of running between capzones on larger maps, even if it realistically will take a minute or two. They tend to overexaggerate how long it takes to walk.
Posted Image

#29 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

It isn't as off-topic as you think. Being able to move quicker completely changes the dynamic of a map; it is the difference between taking a half-track and thinking: "You know what? I can run it. It's quicker and probably more surviveable." Unless you're talking the scale of Arma, that becomes a choice. It also affects team work, as I think individual units can become rapidly dispersed in any given area.

This is how I felt about maps that allowed you to teleport. It's like why bother using vehicles if I can just use some Star Trek technology to warp myself in a blink of an eye to some specific part of a map set in 1944 Europe?

People are generally inpatient in terms of running between capzones on larger maps, even if it realistically will take a minute or two. They tend to overexaggerate how long it takes to walk.

The irony is that these same gamers are then playing Day Z, which is essentially a walking-forever-to-find-a-can-of-beans simulator.

#30 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hahaha, true that.

Well, the teleporters allow the meat-grinder playstyle. Just wondering how gritty it would be that just a squad's worth of men is defending... Let's say Farm... But reinforcemnts can only come in if a HT full of guys pulls up to the rescue. Instead, if you have the cap it places you magically inside. I'm no mapper and certainly not a developer so maybe things like this are implemented for a reason.

For the greater good, I mean.
Posted Image

#31 C. Hutchinson

C. Hutchinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

What about Nijmegen Bridge?

Posted Image

#32 Blue Lightning

Blue Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

I want to see a 1940 battle of France campaign (yeah I know I posted this before somewhere, but tonight Im bored). There were so many different tanks from 1940 that we never have seen with DH...French tanks, English tanks of many kinds. And some of the German tanks plus Czech tanks.

In 1940, the French tanks were better than the German tanks, like the excellent Somura S 35 which later influenced the Americans when they built the Sherman (You can see the heavy look-alike between the two), and the heavy Char B1 which could resist the German guns at least frontally, unless the German tank could put one in the Char's ventilation grill. Also it had two big guns...a 75mm in the hull, and a 47mm up in the turret. And it was the drivers job to drive, plus aim and fire the hull gun. I think it would make for some interesting gameplay.

The English had the Matilda 1 which was a miserable failure because it was slow and heavy armored in the front...and made to attack fortified positions. But the Germans never stood still and were always on the move, hence the Matilda one's were easily beaten. The Matilda II was strong and couldnt be penetrated unless extremely close (and I dont think even then). But it was slow and lumbering. The light Vickers, and the Cruiser 1 and 4 which had all kind of problems...the Cruiser 1 with many angles to trap shots and thin armor.

The Germans had Panzer 1's which only had machine guns, the Panzer II which had the weak 20mm gun, the Panzer III with the weak 37mm gun. Only the Stug And Panzer IV had adaquete guns, the 75, but of the short L/24 variety. And of course Germany had the excellent light Czech 35 and 38 T tanks.

There are other English and French tanks I have not mentioned. The point is I think a 1940 campaign would add tons of variety, and things we have never seen before.

#33 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Perhaps, but then again how much pure tank on tank combat was there in the French campaign? Other than a few occasions around Arras during the misjointed allied counter-attacks. Most British and French armour was abandoned during the retreat and that which engaged was target by Luftwaffe CAS or artillery.

I would still love a few 1940 situations to add a bit of variety and it shouldnt be too hard to implement with the forces already in the game, but I am under no illusions that it would mostly be an exercise in Novelty.

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#34 Nezzer

Nezzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I would love to see Putot-en-Bessin again. Best map I've seen in RO and all its mods so far. The perfect combination of urban and rural warfare in a single map.

#35 Blue Lightning

Blue Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

Perhaps, but then again how much pure tank on tank combat was there in the French campaign? Other than a few occasions around Arras during the misjointed allied counter-attacks. Most British and French armour was abandoned during the retreat and that which engaged was target by Luftwaffe CAS or artillery.

I would still love a few 1940 situations to add a bit of variety and it shouldnt be too hard to implement with the forces already in the game, but I am under no illusions that it would mostly be an exercise in Novelty.

Well there would be the Arras battles which would be interesting. Also, we would have some tank vs infantry scenarios.

#36 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I would love to see Putot-en-Bessin again. Best map I've seen in RO and all its mods so far. The perfect combination of urban and rural warfare in a single map.

Gotta agree with this. The running distance should just be closed in a bit. Imagine that map with CryEngine gfx!! Ojojo!
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#37 Noizekick

Noizekick

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Yes. Putot-en-Bessin is my all-time favorite map in DH. With the updated version being a solid no. 2.

Good to see Razorbabeh already planning on creating it for CryEngine. :boink:

#38 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Yes. Putot-en-Bessin is my all-time favorite map in DH. With the updated version being a solid no. 2.

Hahaha let's see when the time comes :D
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#39 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

He actually personally promised me, so if we don't see a ported Putot then we can all submit him to tirades of verbal and physical abuse.

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#40 Noizekick

Noizekick

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Sounds good to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users