• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Attilaken

Attilaken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

I have downloaded the free CryEngine SDK and I'm starting to learn the basics of level design.
Is is too early to ask if I can already start building the basics for a map, making custom textures and such, that I can import later when Festung Europe is released ?
Will the sizes of the meshes and player avatars be the same as in the 'Forest' demo map in the SDK ?

#2 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Starting work on terrain textures would not be too early at this point as the set ups in the Material editor for the FreeSDK is not going to be different from CryEngine3 which we are using. However, the other details you've asked about, I would hate to lead you in the wrong direction as nothing is completely written into stone yet. We will be providing more concrete details about mod support at a later date - however, don't expect it imminently.

3ka2.png

#3 Nezzer

Nezzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

I really like that you changed to CryEngine3, but I'm a bit worried about the maximum size of the maps and the server population. Can this engine support maps as big as the DH ones and 50+ players? DH wouldn't be the same if it supported only 32 players and CoD-sized maps.

#4 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

CryEngine3 can meet and beat DH map size.

3ka2.png

#5 Nezzer

Nezzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Oh yeah! :bounce:
But what about max server population? I hope it can beat DH max population too.

#6 Attilaken

Attilaken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

According to this thread on the Crydev forums, there seem to be no problem to even have 128 or even 256 players on a server: http://www.crydev.ne...p?f=355&t=88231

But indeed, to host such a server will cost a lot of money. And the map sizes should be very large too. So lets hope someone or some clan with the big dollars in their pockets is willing to host it :)

#7 Nezzer

Nezzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Holy crap, if we do get servers that large and with that many people on it, this will be the game of my dreams :dance:

#8 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

According to this thread on the Crydev forums, there seem to be no problem to even have 128 or even 256 players on a server: http://www.crydev.ne...p?f=355&t=88231

But indeed, to host such a server will cost a lot of money. And the map sizes should be very large too. So lets hope someone or some clan with the big dollars in their pockets is willing to host it :)

Sounds like a particularly big clan would be needed...

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#9 Kugelfische

Kugelfische

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

So out of curiosity how much would a beefing-server like that cost per month?

#10 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

So out of curiosity how much would a beefing-server like that cost per month?

Anywhere from $.50 to a $2.00 a slot.

#11 Attilaken

Attilaken

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Maybe several clans can start thinking of sponsoring such a server. Every clanleader can be admin for example. Like a superserver that connects everyone for the big fat battle.
Or... would a server where every players needs to pay for his slot work within our community? I know, thats a tricky question.

#12 Nezzer

Nezzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

We just need the 29th ID to make a return and maybe we could get that huge server we want.

#13 lazerBAR

lazerBAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

One thing we should take into account is the performance...I mean you think all computers can run 248 players in a big detailed 10kmx10km map? With vehicles? Will it even work on pub servers instead of being a hectic slug fest?

#14 Nightingale

Nightingale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

I really wish there was some way for us modders to know ahead of time what the crouched cover heights will be... I want to work on some trench meshes (replicating ones from RO2), but it's sort of pointless right now since I don't have access to the animation sets that FE will have... but I guess I should just be patient and let the damned game be released before I do these kinds of things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users