Photo
- - - - -

Death animations/Death moans/Blood loss/Gore in general.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 lazerBAR

lazerBAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

So how long do you think bleeding out should take guys? We've mostly been talking about bandaging and medics more.

#22 Masterson

Masterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I actually enjoy a bit of PS2, but it can get away with a lot of those gameplay smoothing features that Masterson mentions because it's science fiction. You can justify the presence of teleports, insta-healing and repairing and so on, because it doesn't have to try to be real. Of course we will have sci-fi elements in FE, but we want them dressed up so that if we squint a bit it could be WW2. Each of us will have a limit as to how far that envelope can be pushed. For instance I'm happy to accept MDVs (aka Sunderer) as a non-realistic aid to gameplay in FE, but not instant recovery and/or slight incapacity from serious wounds.

Also the thing about the support classes in PS2 (I've not played BF), and people wanting to play them is that they can take part in shooting people as well supporting. As I understand it (from BoB at least), medics were generally non-combatants in WW2, which is why I didn't think they'd get played much beyond a go out of curiosity in this setting. I'm also quite confident that we won't see XP and leveling-up in FE, which, as Masterson says, is one of the things which drive people on to do anything other than shoot other people in PS2.

Oh, I enjoy Planetside too, and I put plenty of hours into BF2. I just understand that they have an audience that does not really want to care about extreme logistics, and having healing and resupplying simple keeps it 'realistic' in the sense that they are factors the player needs to consider while eliminating the boring, less fun aspects of those elements. I was just trying to address how in those games the creators have made it so those classes are playable and fun where it may be less intuitive to do in an actual realism-oriented game. Honestly I find any attempt at explaining these elements like respawning or healing in PS2 rather cheesy, and I just accept them as necessary elements to achieve what Sony would like PS2 to be.

And I agree, certain things like the MDV (a variation of BF2's spawn on Squad Leader) and having allies names appear over their heads when you are very close to them are things that are unrealistic but make implementing realistic gameplay (keeping squads together in the former, allowing players to know each others names as they would in a tight-knit squad in the latter) much easier and less cumbersome. I just do not think we can implement medics as they were in real life and assume people will enjoy and want to play them as much as they do in more mainstream large-scale shooters.

So how long do you think bleeding out should take guys? We've mostly been talking about bandaging and medics more.

Should depend on the injury, no?
Posted Image

#23 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

^^ That's dah kitty
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#24 lazerBAR

lazerBAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, perhaps getting shot in the stomach(at a certain angle) would lead to heavy bleeding so it should be 20 seconds of not being able to aim your gun and grabbing your stomach? Also, if they do add bleeding out, they should make it so if you made that guy start bleeding to his certain death and another teammate shoots him while hes bleeding, that teammate that finished him off should get an assist point while you get the kill point, this would stop a lot of players being frustrated over basically "killing" an enemy and the other teammate gets the kill.

#25 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

Slightly off topic but could be that when players receive a direct request for help like ammo and such, they would have to either respond "yes" or "no" like on keys 1 and 2 for instance? I think this was in few other fps as well and it greatly improves interaction between players and tells you quickly which players are willing to cooperate rathen than futilely ask for help from someones that doesn't even bother. I always dreamed about this feature having it in DH.

#26 Rico

Rico

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Right, I will open another thread named "Voice Commands & Communications General" to avoid derailing this thread from its "Death animations/Death moans/Blood loss/Gore" topic.

#27 heady

heady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Even if blood loss and bandaging is somewhat semi-realistic i doubt it works that well in games trying to be realistic.
If you're hit in real life even if its a casual wound/shot you're most likely gonna be out of the battle for x amount of time at the very least.

About the physics & dismemberment I've to say that the weight/look/feel of bodies getting dismembered & blown etc in ro1/dh was looking very
natural and terrifying comapred to ro2. When you shot someone in the foggy distance they fell with that weight making it looks so atmospheric.

Sure on can argu that going ragdoll only isn't necessarily the way but i'm not happy about how RO2 did ragdolls/death-animations and such effects, they were way more natural in ro1 in my opinion.

#28 lazerBAR

lazerBAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

I disagree, RO2 did the death effects much better than RO1 except for the fact that corpses cant be affected or moved except by other corpses. Other than that, hardly much change from RO1 ragdolls to RO2.

#29 heady

heady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Ro1 ragdolls and Ro2 ragdolls are very different so yes there was quite a change and no wonder since it's an entirely new engine.
Everything just came together more in Ro1. The artsyle, the fog, the maps, the ragdolls, the pixelhunting, the color-palette the movement it all made it feel like a real war
which barely none of it is present in ro2. Even if you say its unrealistic with the clunky movement in ro1 it contributed to the big picture, the RO2 movement & aiming is just way to
fast and accurate which doesn't work very well in a game that wants to resemble real life. Pixel hunting or not you dont hit someone as easy as you do in ro2 with a single rifle
in 200+ meters, that's something i'm sure of after my service.

#30 Kugelfische

Kugelfische

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Sure on can argu that going ragdoll only isn't necessarily the way but i'm not happy about how RO2 did ragdolls/death-animations and such effects, they were way more natural in ro1 in my opinion.

I agree, I think the ro1 ragdolls were pretty terrifying, including the head jiggle. :biggrin:

#31 lazerBAR

lazerBAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

When did I say RO2 was overrall better? I hate how easy the aiming is too, but the ragdolls are way better regardless, as well as the way deaths are portrayed. The head bobbing thing really was weird in RO1 and they never fixed it. I'm saying they can improve it overrall in FE.

#32 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

After spending quite a bit of time playing Invasion '44 mod for my realism unit, I love the wounding and bandaging system in that.

In combat, statistically there are more men wounded than dead most of the time. If I get wounded and it's so severe that it incapacitates me, I will lay on the ground bleeding out and unable to move. I may even lose consciousness. Too long and I bleed out and die.

However, my gripe with the healing system in I44 is that once you're healed up, you're A-OK. A permanent disability until death would be very favorable. This whole wounded business should be handled carefully, but I'd like it to be extensive and rewarding to help out your wounded guys on the field... or rewarding to crawl back to friendly lines to get patched up because you made a dumb move and got your body riddled with shrapnel somehow.
Posted Image
"Nach Drill und Dreck, Gibt's Erbsen mit Speck, Aus der Gulaschkanone~"

#33 lazerBAR

lazerBAR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yep, I would like that too, not being able to do anything because you are severly wounded would be nice. Perhaps adding stuff like limping and aiming badly as mentioned before for having survived being shot in the arm or leg?

#34 warrdogg

warrdogg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

I would like to see the casualties ie corpses stay on map a lot longer before disappearing like in DH. Even better if they were able to stay around all game. I adds to the atmosphere and gives clues to where possible enemy positions are located and areas to avoid.

#35 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

After spending quite a bit of time playing Invasion '44 mod for my realism unit, I love the wounding and bandaging system in that.

This whole wounded business should be handled carefully, but I'd like it to be extensive and rewarding to help out your wounded guys on the field... or rewarding to crawl back to friendly lines to get patched up because you made a dumb move and got your body riddled with shrapnel somehow.

I would agree with this. :peep: but if anyone caught me agreeing with the two-es-es, I'd have to deny it.:noidea:
Posted Image

#36 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I would agree with this. :peep: but if anyone caught me agreeing with the two-es-es, I'd have to deny it.:noidea:

Aww, come on. Most of my deaths in trainings against the 113 have been because of you or Patton. :P
Posted Image

#37 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

Excuse me sir. Do I know you?:rockon:
Posted Image

#38 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

There are two Dreeks? o:
Posted Image

#39 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

We can only hope.

Maybe the nice, affable, cordial and pleasant Dreek will make an appearance one day.

Until then my associations are left in denial.

Come to think of it there was this time in the bushes outside La Pont or was that two?
Posted Image

#40 DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Although I'm not sadist or enjoy gore in any special way I've always felt that games are too refrained when it comes down to gore.
If realism is the keyword there should be cries for help, shouting from pain, groaning from agony, limbs flying off, heavy bleeding, cracked sculls, mangled torsos etc.

I'm just reading Siegfried Knappe's memoirs of WW2 and it wasn't pretty.
War is hell and it should show in realistic game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users