• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Something that has bugged the everliving shit out of me in most games are the incompetency of field fortifications. Where you're better off being prone behind a parapet in the open ground than being in one of those deathtraps. The trenches seem to have no overwatch abilities, terrible flank protection, narrow fields of fire into nothing, and horrifying design.

Now, I will say in advance I have NO idea how British and Commonwealth defenses are done, but seeing as how the Germans were on the defensive for most of this theatre let's give them a helping hand.

http://www.dererstezug.com/Foxhole.htm

http://www.dererstez.../Fieldworks.htm

Any more subject matter on this is more than welcome. I highly encourage any mappers to check this out.
Posted Image
"Nach Drill und Dreck, Gibt's Erbsen mit Speck, Aus der Gulaschkanone~"

#2 Nightingale

Nightingale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Have you ever seen the trenches in RO2? TWI got them right. They are real and effective defensive positions that favour the defender. If FE doesnt include them, I'll be doing my best to implement the same kind of trenches into a Korean War mod.

#3 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think, (I might be wrong), that the bad defensive system was due to some collision problem.
In Putot, Akyo and I talked a lot about this and it was a big problem. No scaling could be really done to set smaller trenches and better defensive position.
If the model of the player is more realistic I think some better defensive position will be possible.

I'm quite sure the devs already tought of this, as they created some better gun pit and defensive position in the last version of DH.
If not, trust me, as a likely (hopefully!) Beta tester, I will not forget it as I've been asking for better MG nest, wooded bunker, covered foxholes and other defensive position for quite a while now.
:cheer2:
Devs know this website, but for you guys:
http://www.allworldw...tern Front.html

Cool pics like those for modelling(all dimensions are included):
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

A great resource! You can see how the simple fighting positions grow into defensive works with communication trenches and it's a good show-off for some PaK gun positions as well since we'll most likely see those in game.

Anything on the British is more than welcome... they don't get as much love on these forums. ;c
Posted Image
"Nach Drill und Dreck, Gibt's Erbsen mit Speck, Aus der Gulaschkanone~"

#5 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

A small tease

Posted Image

Posted Image