• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Joebejammin

Joebejammin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

If it's already been announced I sure haven't found it!

#2 Red Pentalpha

Red Pentalpha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:08 AM

No gameplay has been released at all, so I doubt a price has been determined.

Assuming the game turns out to be about 70% as good as we hope for it to be, I would assume standard retail $59.99 US dollars. It will be a very expensive game (with CryEngine3 and all these cool features), and definitely a fun and popular game (as more people start to become interested in realistic shooters). $29.99 AT THE LEAST, just because this is a rather lesser known company bringing out a game, not DICE, Activision, Valve, Tripwire, or Bohemia Interactive.

But most likely it will be $59.99. Maybe $69.99 with US inflation.

#3 Rico

Rico

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

Hi there Joebejammin, and welcome to the community!
You didn't find any information on this, because we didn't release any so far. We are still in the middle of production and thus don't know the full costs of the game to us yet.

Any discussion about the price of Festung Europa can be speculative only at this point.

Be sure though that the price will be both competitive and reflective of the work and effort put into the project ;)
Posted Image

#4 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

Personally I would think that a $60 price would be high considering there will be no single player game and most of the advertisement media will be limited as opposed to some of the large companies.

If Ostfront had a single player and charged the going rate of $40 I don't think I would have ever tried it (much less play it for a decade). It was $20 half of the going rate for games at the time and that sealed the deal for me overcoming the lack of interest in a non-American WWII FPS and lack of any real marketing campaign.

This is an important issue and will drive the future of FE, as matter of fact its probably the single most influence on the longevity of the game and its community.
Posted Image

#5 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

I would happily pay anything under $60 for the game as I like to support indie teams. I mean especially since these guys have been working on this game since 1983, they do have to get paid for all of the time they've put in.

Posted Image

#6 JohnnyRaygun

JohnnyRaygun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

I would gladly pay $60 if the game is what they portray it to be. I don't find single player to be very fun for the FPS setting (at least in these types of games). It's the least I could do for the hours upon hours of fun I had with Darkest Hour. Just redownloaded that mod a couple of days ago and it makes me weep because of RO2...

#7 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

I would give $1000 to the game if I could, it would be easy to justify if the game lasted 10 yrs and sustained 4000 + hours of play but thats not the point.

What is the most prolific demographic for a game such as this? Although I'm sure FE will be enjoyed by a number of age brackets but clearly the most interest will lay in the 18-24 age group (speculation) mostly college kids or people just starting out in life with plenty of things to spend their money on other than games. Without knowing the background of the game or any of the effort the devs put into, I just can't see that group paying $60 for something that has none of the features a larger company produced game will have. Much time is put into animations to link the different scenarios in a single player system. Voice actors need to be employed (albeit good or bad). Massive ad campaigns (COD and the like) and many more expenses I'm probably ignorant about. These kinds of expenses could justify a $60 game.

I'm not trying to downplay anything about FE or its content (I like the games model and have no need for a single player or advertisement eye candy). But what would you rather have as a player? 50 players paying $60 for the game, 100 players at $30 or 200 at $15.......

The vast majority of the people who play these games never once visit a forum and the rest, the majority of those just read from time to time. Its the rarest of breed that participates in the forum community and therefore we can not judge the perspectives of a player base from just what we read in the forums.

I hope the devs consider more than just what they can get out of the game at start up and think more of just how long they would like this game to last.

I do hope the game is a resounding success and the compensation for their time is worth their effort still at the same time I want it to last a very long time so a community will arise and perpetuate an experience that will just keep on giving. You need players for that and there are more of them (I believe) at a lower price than the top going rate for main stream theatrically produced FPS I do so NOT enjoy today.

Just a note:
My group just bought 5 copies of RO1 over the last couple months, all first purchases so they could play DH another 2 were bought to replace after lost accounts.
The gift that keeps on giving.
Posted Image

#8 JohnnyRaygun

JohnnyRaygun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

I would give $1000 to the game if I could, it would be easy to justify if the game lasted 10 yrs and sustained 4000 + hours of play but thats not the point.

What is the most prolific demographic for a game such as this? Although I'm sure FE will be enjoyed by a number of age brackets but clearly the most interest will lay in the 18-24 age group (speculation) mostly college kids or people just starting out in life with plenty of things to spend their money on other than games. Without knowing the background of the game or any of the effort the devs put into, I just can't see that group paying $60 for something that has none of the features a larger company produced game will have. Much time is put into animations to link the different scenarios in a single player system. Voice actors need to be employed (albeit good or bad). Massive ad campaigns (COD and the like) and many more expenses I'm probably ignorant about. These kinds of expenses could justify a $60 game.

I'm not trying to downplay anything about FE or its content (I like the games model and have no need for a single player or advertisement eye candy). But what would you rather have as a player? 50 players paying $60 for the game, 100 players at $30 or 200 at $15.......

The vast majority of the people who play these games never once visit a forum and the rest, the majority of those just read from time to time. Its the rarest of breed that participates in the forum community and therefore we can not judge the perspectives of a player base from just what we read in the forums.

I hope the devs consider more than just what they can get out of the game at start up and think more of just how long they would like this game to last.

I do hope the game is a resounding success and the compensation for their time is worth their effort still at the same time I want it to last a very long time so a community will arise and perpetuate an experience that will just keep on giving. You need players for that and there are more of them (I believe) at a lower price than the top going rate for main stream theatrically produced FPS I do so NOT enjoy today.

Just a note:
My group just bought 5 copies of RO1 over the last couple months, all first purchases so they could play DH another 2 were bought to replace after lost accounts.
The gift that keeps on giving.

According to various studies the average age of gamers (in the US anyways) is 30. I think people in that age bracket will have enough disposable income to afford $60. I am not saying they should charge full price, I am just saying I would gladly pay it because I enjoyed JBG's previous mod.

I think fundamentally the issue will be the genre. RO 1 and DH were a niche game. RO 2 suffered from "gray marketing" and pandered to a larger audience. The product, RO 2, I think suffered in quality because of it. Smaller maps, leveling, weapon unlocks? Things that just don't go well with what RO was about. Because it is a niche game, you will have those communities spread news of this game via word of mouth. I think a lot of RO 1 vets are probably aware of this game. Someone had a post on Reddit that made the front page of /r/games about how PC Gamer chose Rising Storm as GOY 2013. I had mentioned this game and people seemed interested.

Once JBG's begins their kickstarter program I think the population will grow quite well. If they could hit up all the major game sites/magazines for interviews about the game, that's free advertising right there. If the game delivers, it'll just keep growing and growing. As long as they keep adding to the game (preferably for free), you will have a core audience that will stick with your products for good.

#9 Gyps

Gyps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

As they wont have a massive advertising budget -and bearing in mind that RS/RO and traction wars as either cheap or free

It would make more sense to market this with a lower price to start to get people playing it - then when it gains players and a presence in advertising terms to put the price up a bit

It's a unheard of game to many so marketing it a high price will simple stop people trying it, people will chance a £5 or £10 too see, but if you talking £25+ your going to put masses off, bang it out real cheap for a few weeks as a promo to pull players then let them recommend it to friends etc that would be my marking strategy, just look at the steam sales and even with the reduced prices the companies see a bigger profit as mass sales V high price you can more from of mass sales

#10 sHaKeNbAkE

sHaKeNbAkE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Is there even any video footage of this game....are you guys just going off images? Just curious not seeing much media on this game but I could be missing it?

#11 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Is there even any video footage of this game....are you guys just going off images? Just curious not seeing much media on this game but I could be missing it?

WE have our expectation's based mostly on JBGs previous work with DH, and on their excellent record for community involvement in their projects.

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#12 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

WE have our expectation's based mostly on JBGs previous work with DH, and on their excellent record for community involvement in their projects.

This is accurate.
Posted Image

#13 Father Ted

Father Ted

Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

A bit off-topic, but, for all those who Deem RO2 a "failure":

"By most business measures Red Orchestra 2 has been a smashing success for Tripwire Interactive. Within 2 days of the launch of the game it had surpassed the lifetime revenue of the original Red Orchestra that has been selling for over 5 years. The pre-sales and launch week sales of the game broke all company records, even beating out our hit game Killing Floor by a three-fold margin. " - Wilsonam

This backs up Dreek's earlier point about the disconnect between forum opinion and what is actually happening. Reading Tripwire and DH forums, you would think that RO/DH were hugely played and that RO2 died a death upon release, never to recover. Also, TW recently introduced "classic" mode which allows servers to play a game very similar to RO. This was largely in response to much forum wailing and gnashing of teeth about how the franchise had lost its soul and sold out. Now go and look at the server lists and see how people are playing "classic" as opposed to "realistic". Even the 29th servers are "realistic".

I'm not trying to re-ignite any DH v RO2 (or even FE v RO2) shenanigans here, merely pointing out that this will probably be a niche product - our opinions about what makes a great game aren't necessarily those of the majority of gamers. There just aren't that many people interested in playing a straight-up, difficult, MP FPS. Therefore it will have to be priced accordingly (ie relatively high), because not that many units will ship. There is also the problem that, unlike a lot of modern games, it seems set to be a one-off product rather than the start of a DLC chain, or P2W cash-cow, so money has to be made from each purchase.

#14 Mikeedude

Mikeedude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

An excellent point from ted,as it will be a niche game within a niche market.

While there are a few players who still play DH now,when and if this is released their will probably be hardly any left. Meaning they wont have a playerbase to just switch games,they will have to advertise to new people.
Where this game is marketed, I really dont know yet, but they cant just base sales on what the 100 people who pop by here just want(which is varied enough) but need to work out how to make the game with all te features they can without alienating new players.

Pricing is going to be just one factor in how they get people to buy the game!

#15 Gyps

Gyps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yeap was point I was making mike

Would be better to sell loads cheaply at first to pull in new players if they go with the $60 tag many wont take a chance - but if steam sales are anything to go by many will buy just to see if cheap enough I do so do many others

rather than trying to pour money into advertising would be better spent making the game cheaper and it'll sell its self

#16 VonGlug

VonGlug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Anything under $60-ish would be workable.
"Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision."—Salvador Dali

#17 Schneller

Schneller

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:45 PM

Aha, a lot of good points here and a realistic attitude.

Here are some of the variables:

Short-term

a...Reception by the gaming review sites/critics that reach a lot of players. (Smooth operation, excellent game play, being a unique treatment of a classic theater of war).

b...Amount of money we were able to pull together to "polish" the game and post highly polished previews, etc.

c...Amount of money we were able to raise to run ads (C'mon, this helps!)

Long-term

a...Player word of mouth

b...lots of busy servers

IMHO the short term reactions will be the single biggest consideration in the initial selling price. If we get very widespread highly positive reviews, we might be able to add $10 to the price!  On the other hand, getting an early BROAD base of players is a must have, so the price really has to match the buyer's expectations. Then, we make our money over a longer period of time...which is fine with us.

YOU, yes you. Can affect this. We will need (more than ever) a company of dedicated testers for the game. The more and better testing we do, the faster we can release a smoothly running game.  When the time is right, we will raise the recruiting banner and you can start helping us with the game.  I believe our DH testers overwhelmingly got a lot out of the experience. And we are still grateful to them.  For FE,  because of its more advanced feature set, will require a great deal more testing. Therefore a great many more testers.

Many tester ideas were incorporated into DH. And, just as important, many tester criticisms convinced us to leave things out or change them substantially! So, this will be your chance to say you really took part. This phase is still some time away but, when we begin large scale testing we will turn to you first.

Posted Image

Wilsonam wrote: But, as someone said - perhaps just a touch too anal for a game

WUK: What! Thats impossible! Blasphemie!

#18 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Schneller, would I be incorrect in assuming that given the amount of time it has taken to get development this far, that we can expect to see a game released with a heavier concentration of features and less content? I would then assume that more content like maps and weapons and tanks would be released periodically as time goes on? If so, would the additional content cost more money?

Posted Image

#19 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

Short-term

a...Reception by the gaming review sites/critics that reach a lot of players. (Smooth operation, excellent game play, being a unique treatment of a classic theater of war).

b...Amount of money we were able to pull together to "polish" the game and post highly polished previews, etc.

c...Amount of money we were able to raise to run ads (C'mon, this helps!)

Does anyone take gaming review sites and critics/bloggers/vloggers seriously anymore after Gamergate? We've learned that a vast majority of them don't actually play games.  I guess there are exceptions like Sidestrafe and Pewdiepie, whose opionions carry greater weight with gamers.

#20 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

Some notes:

1. I did a lot of research into F2P games a while back, and discovered that they are, by an insanely huge margin, the best way to make money.  There are some that are pulling in 3 million dollars a day!  There are a number of games that originally cost money to buy, until their publishers realized that they could make a lot more going F2P with microtransactions.  Even mainstays like CS:GO are getting into it in a big way.  I am not talking about 'pay 2 win', where you can buy stuff that lets you rampage at will, but simply flair.  (i.e. visual enhancements that make absolutely no difference to gameplay.)  I bloddy well know, for example, that almost every single 29th player would happily pay $1.50 to add their unit's patch on their uniform, and I imagine that most serious clans would be the same.  Speaking of uniforms, I could see something this sweet fetching $5.00 all day long.  ("Hey Grampa!  Look!  I'm wearing your uniform!") "Want a different camo pattern for that tank?  We have you covered.  Like to change out that C96 stock for something else?  Done."  ...and all right in the Steam Workshop, where creators receive a cut of whatever they make.  ARK is already on board, with a contest, even!  ...all of which means JBG can concentrate on features and base content, then release visual variations later on (some free, some not).  (...or modelers/etc. can release them in the workshop, and get paid directly for their work.)
  2. There are people like Markiplier on YouTube that do play games for their reviews, and are highly entertaining.  If, for example, you can get him and a couple of buddies to play during an advanced testing session, you can get an incredible amount of publicity.

• HerrWeidner likes this
"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users