• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Erwin Rommel

Erwin Rommel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

I think that if Jackboot could, they should add an option to allow the use of native voices. While RO2 wasn't perfect, I think one of the cool things they did was allow you to put on Native voices for Germany and Russia so they would speak in their respective languages. For me, and I am sure many other gamers share my opinion, this adds a level of immersion and increases the fun I have. It would be great if people gave some feedback to this idea.

#2 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

I'm pretty sure native voices would be default... Not sure if they're even going to do bad accents.
Posted Image
"Nach Drill und Dreck, Gibt's Erbsen mit Speck, Aus der Gulaschkanone~"

#3 Rico

Rico

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

Hey there Erwin Rommel, sorry I missed your first post (and you seem to have found your way around pretty quickly), and welcome to the forums!

FE will definetly have native voices for all factions as default.
But I wonder, should there actually be generic English voices (thinking of German and Polish forces) in the game?
Posted Image

#4 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

I say no.
Native voice, translated text is great!
Posted Image

#5 Nightingale

Nightingale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:43 AM

I say no.
Native voice, translated text is great!

I like this idea a lot. I can imagine that a lot of the people who play this game would prefer the authenticity of the native voice acting, but at the same time would also like the option to use subtitles to know what their characters are saying. It would be best if players could choose from the options menu which languages they would like subtitles for, so that Anglophones/Germans/Poles can pick and choose whatever works best for them.

#6 Morthon

Morthon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I think it would be best to keep it an option. I don't believe that surrounding yourself with soldiers you can't understand is particularly immersive. Perhaps for one side and that's the point. If you were a real wehrmacht soldier, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to understand your fellow germans. There definately should be an option to have accented voices instead of native voices while on the german side, it would be the most immersive, imo. Translated text would only distract and clutter the screen. I think the same would go for polish units.

#7 Erwin Rommel

Erwin Rommel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Basically, what I did, was that I played the game without native voices for a while, but them. i put on native voices. In Red Orchestra 2, that allowed me to have an idea of what they were saying based on what I had heard in English. Also, I know a few German words, including their curse words.

#8 Father Ted

Father Ted

Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

I'm hoping that most of the in-game voices will be the actual players using VOIP. But for the voice commands (I don't want any repetitive, canned, "atmospheric" comments from my or others' avatar) I'd go with Guillemette's suggestion. I'm sure most people, with the help of a text translation, could learn to understand a few phrases and then turn off the text.

#9 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Yes of course native voices must be default but they should be more recognizable to discern them. In RO/DH it was just a flood of constant voice comms not pertaining to you and the times when it is directed at you, you often missed it because IE. busy shooting. So when one player tried to request someone for an assistance using voice commands, it wasn't very effective. The sender should have an option to send a voice comm only to one player or few that he's selected and the recipient would have a notification of it that he's addressed at. An easier way in the middle of fighting for people that don't speak english or don't use a microphone.

#10 DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

I think it would be best to keep it an option. I don't believe that surrounding yourself with soldiers you can't understand is particularly immersive.

This is why the game must be teamplay endorsing / forcing so that everyone should use mics to communicate and native voices only add immersion and not act as way of communicating.

#11 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

This is why the game must be teamplay endorsing / forcing so that everyone should use mics to communicate and native voices only add immersion and not act as way of communicating.

This is a bit wrong and unfair to force a game to be mic-only. The voice commands always was a staple form of communication and I remember usually on public servers maybe only 20-30% of players would talk on the mic and the rest would use voice commands but they weren't very effective. So once you'll be able to use voice commands as if face-to-face manner rather than a voice communication "follow me" which was displayed on everyone's screen while it really should be only displayed to the person that is referred to, then the use of voice commands will become much easier to use and more popular, and that way the screaming and blabbering on the voip will be reduced, hey over the years of playing RO/RO I've come across number of people asking how to switch the hell of that voip off because it was just too annoying listening to people grunting their own silly thoughts, and they just want to immerse themselves in the real-soldier like voices from the game that was back then in the ww2 era, not listening to anyone else as if some ghost starts blaring at my ear, especially kiddies, please don't force us to use microphone speaking as the only way to communicate...

#12 DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

This is a bit wrong and unfair to force a game to be mic-only.

Of course the game would not be mic-only.
Immersion is crucial part of the game and in-game voices should be done properly and made so that they can be useful way to communicate.
However mic users will benefit and get the most out of the game, naturally.

The voice commands always was a staple form of communication and I remember usually on public servers maybe only 20-30% of players would talk on the mic and the rest would use voice commands but they weren't very effective.

What game are you talking about here?
I've never came up with effective teamplayer in any game via in-game voice commands, absolutely never.
Frankly, it is not even possible to act as effectively without being able to communicate like real person, and that is a fact.

Thankfully this game has good plans for in-game VOIP, so it should be as good as Project Reality mods integrated mumble (BF2 mod), which is absolutely the most effective, easiest to use and best sound quality VOIP I've ever heard in my life.

Usually in PR non-mic users end up in one lonewolf squad where they just randomly wander around the map and do nothing useful for the team while 80% of the team works as a mic communicating team.
Biggest reason being that no one wants them in their squad because they can't communicate the way they are required for effective teamplay.

#13 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yea it's just that I think voice communication could be upgraded a bit. It should be easier to send a voice command to someone, and the person receiving so that he instantly sees it on the screen.

All I want is to successfully request someone sitting next to me using a voice command to give suppressing fire or follow me etc. In RO/DH all the voice commands would be spammed all over the screen and you'd hear it on the entire map and you could hardly see it anyway. It'd be great if something new was implemented like voice commands that'd be delivered specially to few selected players. You wouldn't have to use the mic as much and the chat would be less clogged up with someone shouting because he can't get hold of someone he's trying to contact.

#14 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I agree that voice commands should be localized so the same way you'd hear an enemy talk on the other side of the wall you can hear his voice command, etc.

I'm good on using mics, but when I pub most of the time I just want to chill and use voice commands. DH was very enjoyable for me so I'd like it to continue to be a very fun pubbing game with serious features that will help out the historical realism units and tactical clans.

#15 DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

In RO/DH all the voice commands would be spammed all over the screen and you'd hear it on the entire map and you could hardly see it anyway.

This is why I don't want any text to be shown on screen when some dude 1 kilometre away wants a lift.
Do you have any good ideas how you could quickly choose the ones you want to say something via voice command?
This is why local speech is so crucial in realistic games, push button, say what you want to who ever you want, done.

#16 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

This is why I don't want any text to be shown on screen when some dude 1 kilometre away wants a lift.
Do you have any good ideas how you could quickly choose the ones you want to say something via voice command?
This is why local speech is so crucial in realistic games, push button, say what you want to who ever you want, done.

I was thinking you'd have like a small menu/window with names of the players in your team and it would show you which are within a distance that in real life is possible to communicate. You could just click on one and press a voice command very quickly. The ones that are out range you wouldn't be able to send a voice command - because it's unrealistic to send a voice command while 1km away. The screen wouldn't be then constantly spammed with voice commands - follow me, follow me, follow me all the time and whenever you'd hear one you could actually be expecting someone that is really trying to establish a communication with you via voice command. It'd become much more useful. Only able to voice command to the ones that are within a reach.

#17 DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

^Text above^

Sounds doable, but what about everyone else near the gentleman shouting commands?
They should hear him too realistically. Maybe there could be indication that these commands are not meant for certain players if they hear them and are not selected?

#18 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Yes this is where the indication plays very crucial part of who's addressed at and who's not so that you're aware. If you're the one selected by the gentleman shouting a command, you're being displayed a message along with a native voice, those that are not being pertained just only hear the voice command without the text. The text should catch one's attention, not the obscure small fonts that were in RO/DH.

#19 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Yes this is where the indication plays very crucial part of who's addressed at and who's not so that you're aware. If you're the one selected by the gentleman shouting a command, you're being displayed a message along with a native voice, those that are not being pertained just only hear the voice command without the text. The text should catch one's attention, not the obscure small fonts that were in RO/DH.

That sounds right to me, for commands.
And that's why I think a squad channel even for text/voice command should exist.
Distance should be in too, but even more important should be a squad channel that makes a connection on your screen.

Most of the communication should be set on this channel and tehre should be some settings to make it happen. (Distance from SL for example)
Posted Image

#20 wew

wew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

By the way I want to point out that forced voice expressions and shouts are not always good, no matter the language. In RO2 this is crucial when you're sneaking or behind the enemy, a single auto taunt comes from my avatar and everything is lost. There should be an option to regulate auto taunts or that the AI should keep shut when away from their comrades and when its close from the enemy.

Another thing is the repeated voices/shouts from the team, somethimes affecting the immersion rather than improving it. So more than two voice actors per nation would be really welcomed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users