Photo
- - - - -

Kickstarter ?!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Try Kickstarter ? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Try Kickstarter ?

1. Yes ! (26 votes [74.29%])

Percentage of vote: 74.29%

2. No ! (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Snuffeldjuret

Snuffeldjuret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

I don't think Insurgency can be considered a kickstarter game as kickstarter wasn't what funded the game. Either way it turned out quite well. Could be better and is not what everyone wants, but still a good game =).
Posted Image

#22 Rollo

Rollo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

They even failed their kickstarter horribly.

It was never kickstarter funded, the money came out of the developers pockets until the alpha was released (then pre orders made up the rest of the development costs).

Do you really want this game to turn into another takedown: red sabre? Because that's the closest kickstarter has ever come to creating a decent FPS, mainly for the reason it promotes lazy game development by subtracting the financial risk.

#23 Serathis

Serathis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

Did they even fix TD:RS?
Bloody screen! So real.

#24 Schneller

Schneller

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

Well, let me say thanks to our defenders and "no hard feelings" to our critics. It has been a long time. No denying that.

Let simply say that, as of this season, major things that were slowing us down have been reduced or eliminated.

I'll make a comparison to the cinema industry. You'd often be surprised as to how long it took before a great script  could be filmed and get into the theaters.

And we do have a great script. The "Cameras" as it were....are rolling right now.

One thing that we knew was going to take time was the perfected design of sophisticated new features. You can't just buy these things off a web site like a 3D Tree.

So, in essence, FE is being "hand made" rather than punched out with a cookie cutter.

I'll end by saying you will see more progress in the near future than you have been accustomed too...by far.

Posted Image

Wilsonam wrote: But, as someone said - perhaps just a touch too anal for a game

WUK: What! Thats impossible! Blasphemie!

#25 FOX403

FOX403

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:05 AM

I'll end by saying you will see more progress in the near future than you have been accustomed too...by far.

this was over 6 months ago :(

Posted Image

#26 _Nambu

_Nambu

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

this was over 6 months ago :(

Don't worry, we're alive. ​I know I shouldn't spoiler it, but we're preparing an update. :-P

• Noizekick and kuopassa like this

#27 Noizekick

Noizekick

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

Don't worry, we're alive. ​I know I shouldn't spoiler it, but we're preparing an update. :-P

Hype!

#28 _Nambu

_Nambu

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

This and

http://forums.jackbo...ytes-3/?p=58212

I don't want to become the spoiler-guy here... :D

#29 Zhigunov

Zhigunov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:03 AM

I wouldn't even think of funding a Kickstarter until I see something other than a few pictures of weapons and more dev communication.

#30 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Folks, let's face reality: DH2/FE is a fan project, made in free time with no money even for A tools, let alone AAA tools.  The guys can't have a lot of experience with UE4, because nobody does; it is just too new.  They are learning as they go, and, when you aren't doing something full time, but squeezing it in whenever you can, it takes a LONG time to produce something worth showing, let alone showing off.  Do a Google Image search for 'amateur fan art', and notice that, while some of it is pretty good, most of it is awful.  Realize, also, that even the best of what you see there was made by people whose work looked like the worst there.  Software development is much like that; it starts out cringeworthy, and only gets decent with time, practice, and a LOT of effort.  DH2/FE is just in the beginning stages, with a lot of rough edges, both because of inexperience and a sheer lack of time and resources.  

Put all of that together, and I hope that you can see how trying to crowdfund a complete game with the scope of DH2/FE at such an early stage would be a VERY bad idea.  OTOH, I've spoken to a few of the guys about doing a (very) small crowdsource campaign solely to raise enough to license the software needed to take their work to the next level.  Perhaps an even better idea would be for them to have a Patreon page, where fans can sponsor by the month, tool, and/or project.  There are now a large number of varied ways that fans can support teams developing software, and JBG needs to seriously look at ways for those who want to 'put their money where their mouths are' to help make DH2/FE happen faster.  (If a free 'Harvest Moon meets Hentai' game can pull in almost $30K a month while still in alpha, DH2/FE fans can certainly donate enough to keep a few hard-working guys in ramen and Coke!)

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users