Photo
- - - - -

Bullet impact effects. The visual effects, the sound, the particles; GET IT RIGHT!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Novusordo

Novusordo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

One thing shooters ALWAYS skimp on, yet is soooo fucking important is the bullet impact effects, and especially the SOUND of incoming rounds and impacts on varying surfaces.

For a shooter game SURELY THIS IS OF THE HIGHEST PRIORITY TO GET RIGHT?

And by 'getting right' I'm talking about making impressive looking and sounding design features for incoming bullets, and impacts/decals on the game environment.

Firstly the tracers need to be designed with some serious development time behind them. Too many games design tracers to be some pathetic glowing orb with no trail, no detail, no nothing, just a glowing solid orb flying through the air. It looks like shit.

I want realistic tracers that scare the shit out of me...that seriously make me fall back or hold position until they stop. Very few games have achieved this. ACE mod for Arma did a great job, Rising Storm mod had some seriously realistic tracers flying around Iwo Jima however that game seriously failed when it came to the audio and visual design of incoming bullets and decal impacts on the environment and also failed badly when it came to the ordinance explosion sounds with the pathetic artillery sounds being almost criminal. Talk about falling badly.

As for the sound design I want the pops and cracks that incoming fire produces, but I want advanced audio effects to be applied to them that really enhance and convey those sounds as the supersonic variety that they are. Maybe a special bass or/and amplitude modulator or reverb sound effect to really make them special, i.e SCARY AS FUCK???

Then finally, to tie everything together nicely, what about some seriously scary looking impact effects with advanced particle designs that are so good that you are almost convinced that if you get shot in the game your going to feel some sort of nasty electric shock come through your keyboard and down your arms! Could you not make these toggable for low-end PC players, too?

What about bullets passing through vegetation? Will you guys make some nice effects that show the twigs, leaves and branches being chewed and cut-up in a a detailed realistic manner and not some half-assed static "sprite" template that the games that did bother to show something, used. Again can this be made toggable for low-end PC's?

I want to see the bullet impacts rip the environment apart, so splintered wood, pieces of brick and mortar, and a set of unique advanced particle effects like a 10 second lasting dust and smoke cloud from say for instance a tracer round hitting a sandstone wall.

PLEASE DO THIS! Make this the perfect shooter. We are sick to death of each game released this is overall GOOD, yet has multiple design choices that are while not game-breaking, are artistically fucking SHIT. I'm not asking for perfection only that you get the majority of the games features RIGHT. Rising Storm is a great combat simulator but it's impact and bullet decals were shit, it's sound design was largely shit, and that is where it failed. If only it got those two things RIGHT, it would of been a much nicer game to play. IT'S NOT MUCH TO ASK!!!!!

#2 titsmcgee852

titsmcgee852

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

I have to agree tbh. It's an immersion maker/breaker for me.
Have you played Project Reality? I think they really nailed it with their newest releases.

#3 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

It's an immersion maker/breaker for me.
Have you played Project Reality? I think they really nailed it with their newest releases.

TBH, PR in it's entirety is an immersion breaker for me, and appears to be everything that DH is not. That's probably why I played DH more than the Insurgency mod which PR reminds me so much of.
Posted Image

#4 soss533

soss533

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

?

#5 Druh

Druh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

#6 Novusordo

Novusordo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Yeah Dibbler is going great work with RO/RS but really you need team of professional audio artists and not some poor fellow scrounging the internet for good samples to mix and edit in to various gunshots and explosion sounds. I've been there and done this a hundred times as an avid sound modder for many games in the past, so I know exactly what I'm talking about!

Good explosion sounds are the most difficult thing to create in game audio and as a war game I expect them to overcome this and present some seriously fucking awesome sounding explosion sounds. Brothers in Arms had some of the best grenade and mortar explosions, as did Battlefield 3 and 4. I really can't think of any other game that has decent explosion sounds.

The artillery in RO/RS is the biggest disgrace of those games, it literally sounds like someone making a blowing noise in to a microphone.... absolutely fucking pathetic and unforgivable for a war game like that. It's the same story with the grenade explosions... you can barely hear the fucking things go-off even when your close by!

But back on topic more, does anyone remember the SPR scene where the runner/messenger in that rainy Normandy town gets shot to pieces by the Germans, then about a minute later receives a final burst of fire to make sure he's dead? Tom Hanks tells his men the Germans did this to make sure his last breath is gone so he has no chance of relaying the message. Anyway the point is the visual effect of that scene, with the tracers hitting the body, ect is the type of thing I think FE should strive for in it's visual representation of gunfire impacts and tracer effects.

#7 DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

PR has always been ahead of the pack.
To me it is the ultimate game there is, it has no competition what so ever at this stage.
It only needs the WW2 expansion back, which is on its way...

#8 Novusordo

Novusordo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

PR has always been ahead of the pack.
To me it is the ultimate game there is, it has no competition what so ever at this stage.
It only needs the WW2 expansion back, which is on its way...

God damm this is it now, I really need to get myself a copy of BF2. I've been tempted for too long and with it being the middle of winter I need a solid shooter to retire from the cold and wet to and RO2 pisses me off to the point of rage so I'll be glad to see the back of that shit pile of a game!

#9 DavidL.Roth

DavidL.Roth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

God damm this is it now, I really need to get myself a copy of BF2.!

Sure, BF2 costs about 5-10 bucks in anywhere else except Steam.
It is a cheap prize for what you're going to get with all the mods.
This is not possible with BF3 or BF4 since modding is forbidden so that DICE an EA can rip off as much money from little kids as possible.

#10 Porsche

Porsche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

I would like to see the dirt puffs on the ground from mg fire like you see at 0:46 in the video. This would give you more of an immersion feel when manning an mg or going against one.

#11 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:21 AM

This much would be fine with me...

http://youtu.be/t75S9R_wB_o?t=5m33s
Posted Image
"Nach Drill und Dreck, Gibt's Erbsen mit Speck, Aus der Gulaschkanone~"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users