#1 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:58 PM

Greetings everyone. It’s been more than a blue moon since we’ve had the opportunity to bring you an official update on our progress with Festung Europa, so without further delay, let’s cut right to the chase and clear some things up.

We’re here. We’re alive. The design of the game has not changed or been compromised in the least. The focus of the game has been, and will continue to be, the same – a hard hitting, realistic combined arms first person experience following the Allied forces from D-Day to the closure of the Falaise Gap and the ultimate defeat of the German 7th Armee.

Despite the rumors and whispers in the wind, Festung Europa still exists and is still very much in active development. In fact, we have probably been more active these past several months, than in the previous years combined. Most of this is due to the fact that we quietly made the decision at the end of this past summer to head back to our “roots” and slide production on FE over to Unreal Engine 4. Rather than go into the litany of reasons of why the decision was made, the fact that we’ve been able to implement some important features, and eliminate some significant obstacles to progress, within only weeks of picking up the engine proves to us that we are on the right track and moving in the right direction. We are now able to conceptualize, prototype, and test what we want to implement in FE in a faster and smarter way; all the while without losing an ounce of the impressive graphical fidelity we intended to bring to you with our previous engine choice.

Posted Image

So, where do we go from here?

For starters, in the short term, watch this space in the coming weeks (not months), for video blogs highlighting some of the things we are working on right now. We’ll also be revamping the media section of our Festung Europa website to feature our assets and environments as they will appear using the power of Unreal Engine 4.

In the New Year, we will be looking for YOUR help in moving Festung Europa quickly into a playable state. As soon as it is possible from a practical standpoint, we will begin Twitch streaming our internal test sessions to the public on a semi-regular basis so that you can witness firsthand what we are currently working on, and you’ll be able to interact with our developers directly to give your feedback in real time.

Also, by popular demand, we will be rolling out a crowd-sourced funding campaign in an effort to assist us with the serious financial challenges we face in creating the game. To date, almost all development costs have been shouldered by members of the development team – not to mention completely on the basis of hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of free time. In order to keep the game on schedule AND be able to provide you with the game we all want, out of absolute necessity, our little business needs to transition beyond the very limited pool of funds that it currently relies upon to a more regular and adequately sized source of income. More details to come in the next couple of months on what form this campaign will take, and how you can play a role in making it successful. In the meantime, stay tuned, and watch this space for more news and information.

Thank you again for your support and patience.

3ka2.png

#2 KaizerSosa81

KaizerSosa81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

I had a long time suspicion that you guys were going to switch engines, UE4 is much more improved and intuitive. Glad to see what I internally pondered turned out to be true. Keep up the good work and know you'll have a financial backer in me and many others, I'm sure. Looking forward to the updates soon.

#3 tman29th

tman29th

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Good to hear! Btw, is this just coincidence that IC:V decided to move over to UE4 as well? :P Will we see some co-operation between the two titles? ;)

#4 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

It's just a coincidence, but definitely a SMART move!:nod:

I'm looking forward to dropping into the Bush.

3ka2.png

#5 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

After reading up quite a bit on CryEngine and Crytek recently, I'm really not all that surprised by this announcement. Seems that a lot of indie teams are struggling with it and abandoning it. Like others in the community, I was very skeptical that you guys were still alive. I"m glad to read that my fears are unfounded. You'll also have my financial support when it comes time to launch your KickStarter or whatever it is you decide to do.By the way, can't help noticing in your description above you are now referring to the "Allies". Does that mean we get the Americans now? You really should do it ;)

Posted Image

#6 Theel

Theel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

Important move, CryEngine had great lures to it, but guess it just didn't fit well. I hope it wasn't much a set back and this change will begin to pave the road to success. Maybe one day some other roads will run into your road and we have a bigger better road ;P
Posted Image
Current Project: Darkest Hour 6.0

#7 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:17 AM

Important move, CryEngine had great lures to it, but guess it just didn't fit well. I hope it wasn't much a set back and this change will begin to pave the road to success. Maybe one day some other roads will run into your road and we have a bigger better road ;P

One of the things that really caught my eye when researching CryEngine was the fact that there are no high count Multi-Player FPS games built on it. I immediately thought, "Oh, that's going to be a huge problem". I guess it all makes sense now.

Posted Image

#8 Porsche

Porsche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:27 AM

Glad to hear the team is still alive. Does this mean the team is starting from scratch again? Looking forward to following your progress.

#9 Dreek

Dreek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:30 AM

By the way, can't help noticing in your description above you are now referring to the "Allies". Does that mean we get the Americans now? You really should do it ;)

Plus one on this.
Posted Image

#10 Serathis

Serathis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

Great! I hope you don't have to toss away progress you made so far.
Bloody screen! So real.

#11 thens

thens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

Great news.
You guys should consider updating the ModDB Page as well :)

#12 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:10 PM

*Becomes an active member of the community again*

Excellent!

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

#13 ├ćustin

├ćustin

Jackboot Games Staff

• Jackboot Games
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

Glad to hear the team is still alive. Does this mean the team is starting from scratch again? Looking forward to following your progress.

No, not quite from scratch. This engine change has allowed us to finally put in features that have taken years to implement with the other engine.
"Moss in the morning, let you in. Is it a field day to make me sin?"
--
Posted Image

#14 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

Great news.
You guys should consider updating the ModDB Page as well :)

It's going to be a slow transition of updating everything. But yes, it will be updated just like it was before, minus the old content.

#15 Father Ted

Father Ted

Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

Good to hear! Keep it rumbling along, chaps.

#16 Gyps

Gyps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Right as I never crowd funded anything how does this work ? please

#17 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

There's lots of different ways that things can be crowdfunded. The most popular right now are sites like IndieGoGo or Kickstarter. Basically, JBG would be pre-selling copies of the game in order to earn money to get through production and finish the game. You'd click on a button and then enter in your credit card or Paypal information and then get an email confirming that you'd contributed. Once the game is released, you'd then get a key from JBG for Steam to download the game. That's a pretty simple description though, since crowdfunding campaigns can involve all sorts of rewards and incentives for people to contribute more money than just the price of the game. The problem with using crowdfunding sites is that they would charge JBG a big % of the money earned as fees for hosting the campaign. JBG might be better off hosting their own pledge drive via their website like Roberts Space Industries is doing for Star Citizen - that way they get to control all of the money coming in, and not some third party (well..except for the taxman):https://robertsspace...ies.com/pledge/

Posted Image

#18 Noizekick

Noizekick

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:25 PM

Good to hear things are still being worked on. Can't wait to see the results. :)

#19 Snuffeldjuret

Snuffeldjuret

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

Sounds good =).
Posted Image

#20 Sgt.Elly {1st ID}

Sgt.Elly {1st ID}

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:50 AM

I never wavered for a moment. One day Festung Europa will encompas all theatres of the war :3 I always felt unreal to be really clunky but I'll trust the judgement by the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users