• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard

Lizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

I thought of making a thread to combine ideas for all the other vehicles besides tanks/assaultguns.
Heres some of my suggestions for the Heer:

Fist i start with jeeps.
Just because someone might use the jeeps for driving over enemies shouldnt be a reason to left them out. Jeeps, Kubelwagens and ammotrucks were really great add to the combined arms maps of DH. Maybe just make the endurance, steering and physiques more realistic for cars. One random cool feature would be; when you get shot while sitting at the front seat windshield would get blood splattered on it. Also in open top cars would it be nice to shoot from the car while driving, besides drivers seat of course. (and of course only with light weapons)
Also maybe in some maps if the cars could be used as radio jeeps/trucks/HT`s, moving radios for calling artillery strikes.

How about the German Kettenkrad halftrack motorcycle? It could work well in the game if you just limited its speed. Same with a BMW motorcycle with sidecar and MG.

Then the Halftracks. One question is; Are you going to make two seats for the drivers compartment? If i remeber right DH only has one at the front and it was kinda wierd. Other thing is that in DH sometimes it felt like the gunshield didnt protect you at all and you could get shot of from the HT`s MG more easily than from an american jeeps open MG.
Also many of the later basic variants had a second mg at the back.

The Germans made so many variations of HTs. In DH there was only the one basic Hanomag. Others HT:s than the basicSd.Kfz.250 & 251 that would suit the game would be;
Posted Image

Sd.Kfz.251/22 (mounted 7.5cm PaK40) This would be so much fun. It was used in Normandy. It could have 4 seats like IRL. (Driver,commander, one at the gun and maybe the loaders seat behind the gun) (Loaders seat could be just a seat on the floor sitting and facing outside cos of the open rear)
This would make and awesome AT-support for the basic HT:s and infantry. Tanks-encyclopedia says they were used in Normandy, Caen sector for example. The ones in Normandy were conversions that would be shown on papers as basic 251. (thats why there is rarely markings of units having them until late december 1944 when it became "officialy" different from 251 i think)

Posted Image

SdKfz 251/9 "Stummel". This is the most widely used cannon mounted variant of 251 and it should definitely be in the game. Equipped with short-barrel 75mm howitzer. Used in infantry support. The gun could shoot Nbgr. Kw. K. - Smokeshells also.

Also there was the SdKfz 251/2 Granatwerfer - A 251 with mortar in the back. It could be used as mobile mortar. It could fit the game also.

Ok ill continue...

#2 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:42 AM

Let's dream!
Posted Image

#3 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

Would love to see the Stummel!
Posted Image
"Nach Drill und Dreck, Gibt's Erbsen mit Speck, Aus der Gulaschkanone~"

#4 Lizard

Lizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

Especially in Normandy and later stages in France armored cars where widely used. Original DH had Sd Kfz 234/1 and Greyhounds. Sd Kfz 234/1 will possibly make the core of German AC`s in FE too. Besides Sd Kfz 234/1, the 234/2 (Puma) was used by Panzer-Lehr and 1st SS 'LSSAH'. In DH some servers added these and they were just great add to the game. Puma is so iconic i hope it would make its way to FE.
Units in France (9th SS, 10th SS, 12th SS battalions for exmp.) that didnt get Pumas were issued with older armored cars like the Sdkfz 222. (Which out of the old cars would best suit the game i think.)

Posted Image

Now im not any expert on Commonwealth vehicles. Brittain used Daimlers and Humbers and what i absolutely love for its unique look; Morris LRC Mk.II. Canadians too, but they also had their Otter Mk.I armored cars in France. Kangaroo APC with its capability to move around 20 infantrymen could be a fascinating add tactical wise besides the Universal Carriers.

Two or three different models of armored cars and vechiles for each side would bring some realistic variability to the arsenal on different maps and battles.
[TABLE="class: translations"]
[TR="class: sk-row2"]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: translations"]
[TR="class: sk-row2"]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Would like to hear it from other people also!

#5 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:49 PM

First of all, the Kangoroo
Sexton models would rock.

Posted Image

The WASPS :target:, the vickers and 2 inch mortars of the Universal Carrier :music:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Calgary Highlander Carrier Platton

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

Badass stuff right there. Who needs Tiger IIs when you've got cool stuff like this?

#7 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

Also I would like a Universal Carrier with the Bren AA mount, so you can put in cover the vehicule, but still use the AA as inf. support weapon like the current HT are being used.

Just for fun, look at this german modification
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Epee

Epee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

There was a "stummel" version of the Sdkfz 233 & 234 also; those would be great fun. Like wise the Sdkfz 250 &/or 251 that carried 20mm. Then there is the M3 Halftracks mounting 75mm that were used as TDs in Africa, Italy & the Pacific.

Of the "serious" changes I'd like to see in these vehicles (besides more version modeled) would be to make halftracks universally drivable like the trucks and cars. Using a halftrack to block-up a choke-point is over-used to the point of abuse. A tank or something with locking hatches I can understand - as long as the driver remains with it. But an open top halftrack would, in the real world, just have a guy hop the side, shoot the driver and move the vehicle.

#9 Epee

Epee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

Another thought would be to offer another view to the Recon Commander, similar to the "cupola" view tank commanders have now; head out but the torso is not exposed.

#10 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

The instant popping out of halftracks is the reason people tend to do these suicide attempts in DH of driving over the enemy and quick unload. It is really important that this animation is done for getting out because it is not a simple cosmetic feature. It changes the entire behaviour of the battle. Almost in every ww2 game ever since there has been an abuse with vehicles evasing the enemy by driving around them and trying to capture the objective behind. It is so unrealistic.

I want in FE to properly gain the ground of the enemy lines inch by inch by slowly advancing on foot using coordinated formed squads. Vehicles is always nice to have but I rather have less vehicles and better mechanics than an all round driving madness that games like Heroes&Generals or Battlefield is.

So with longer animations (just sort of like it's done with the animations for climbing over the wall in DH) players will be more vulnerable of getting shot and therefore it will be less favourable to do these suicide attemps of unloading on top of the enemy but rather driving somewhere to a safer place away from the danger zone and only then slowly advance towards the enemy lines.

#11 Dietrich Landrik

Dietrich Landrik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

There is a lot of merit to fast paced attacks and they were done during that time! However, half tracks need a big reworking with the hit boxes being wonky and weird. I'd like to see being able to use them and tanks as mobile firing platforms within reason. Booking it 40mph in the field doesn't make for anything approaching a good shot.

I agree with there being a bit more laborious effort in mounting and dismounting vehicles and the efforts by certain tanks having restricted exits or having to open the hatch first is a great step in that direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users