7 replies to this topic

#1 Nightingale

Nightingale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

http://joinsquad.com/

This is a game that is also under development on UE4, and I think it's very comparable to Festung Europa. It's not set in WWII, but gameplay wise it offers a lot of things that Ostfront and Darkest Hour players desire in a game:

• 50vs50 battles that can last up to 4 hours (most maps are combined arms)
  • Large maps (1km^2 up to 25km^2)
  • Huge emphasis on local VoIP, squad cohesion, and chain-of-command
  • Non-arcade movement and weapons handling

The dev team is largely composed of the same people responsible for the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2.

I could say a whole lot more, but I think the link right there should tell you what you need to know. Just don't take the YouTube videos as being totally reflective of the gameplay. The infantry movement system is still in a very early stage of development.

EDIT: Whoops. Posted this in the wrong subforum. Sorry.

#2 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

I'm keeping my eye out on this game. :epicface:

#3 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

Yeah this game is getting more and more hype as the weeks go by.

Since it's also built on UE4 I think a lot of ideas in Squad can probably be inspired and adapted into Festung Europa as it's based on proper teamwork and realistic firefights. 

Because from I've already seen about its gameplay style I wouldn't mind at all if Festung Europa had a very similar design in terms of mechanics, features and the general feeling of the game with the only difference FE being set in ww2 scenario.

• Razorneck likes this

#4 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

Agreed. Squad is looking solid!

Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#5 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

I like the rally points set by a Squadleader anywhere he goes so that the players can then spawn in. This should be in FE so that it allows to play on large sized maps and manoeuvre around the map anywhere you want and when suddenly you get in contact with the enemy, the players that have died can then spawn into a previously-made rally point and continue to fight in that zone until either teams reinforcements run out.

I also like your teammates names above their heads (and I think there's also the military rank next to the nickname helping to see who's the leader etc).How else you recognize your teammates nearby when you're busy shooting at the enemy? It's the only way to represent recognition of your squad members since it is much easier in real life.

Apparently UE4 handles the map visibility on long ranges very well. And that is really good for FE because I've always wanted to have these thrilling long-range fire fights like they were on DH-Bridgehead map and with all the targeting being coordinated by the squadleader that is in Squad.

Edited by Kashash, 28 July 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#6 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

Few things that I'd like FE to have that SQUAD has:

To me the idea of FOBS and RALLY POINTS is great, it's just all one ever asked for to have in this sort of squad-shooter game. Even though Squad doesn't have any vehicles added yet. This is actually even better as you can truly experience infantry fight on a 2km map. Thanks to the RALLY POINT and FOB system which is indispensible part of the game, you really have to think twice as a Squad Leader how you're going to push towards the objective and where to set up a a rally.

There's no easy way round of silly driving towards an objective and capping it. You really have to work hard to even get there, to slowly gain a foothold at an objective need to approach slowly by setting up rally points and just slowly moving up with your squad ever so closer.

Few important things to note: FOBS can be placed only every 400m from another FOB and need 3 men from your squad to do so.

Rally points can be set up anywhere but every 2 minutes and need 2 men from your squad nearby.

Rally points are automatically destroyed by the enemy being nearby.

Fobs are harder to destroy but for every enemy near it, it increases 10 seconds delay for your respawn on it. It is very crucial to work so that the enemy has a time & chance to kill enemy and cap that fob.

The recoil of your gun doesn't go up ridiculously high in the sky between stance & crouch position which I liked. But at the same time not too steady so that you can't continue fire with long bursts on long range too effectively like in RO2.

It is done just right imo.

Another thing I like - upon going to iron sights it doesn't zoom your screen, it only zooms in extra view when you press shift and still it's only for about 5 seconds (which is how long keeping the breath takes). After you exhale you can't just press shift and hold it for another 5 seconds, you actually have to wait a while which is great - it doesn't make the player abuse the zoom feature as much as in RO2. AND THERE IS NO STUPID EXTRA ZOOM UPON ANOTHER ZOOM THAT IS IN RO2. There's only 1 zoom and not very excessive which enables for long-lasting firefights rather than stupid picking everyone off head-shot sniping fest aka RO2.

You basically run with your squad on a full continent terrain and due to being able to set up a rally point which you can spawn on, you can get into contact with the enemy practically anywhere which is what I've always wanted.

I've seen situations we had to fall back because our previous objective has been under attack, or our FOB.

I love the high visibility distance where it stretches as far as eye can see on the map, the firefigts can be as far as 500m away on a 3km map.

Really do hope FE doesn't resort to those small-vision, low-distance maps that RO2 is usually known for and that it promotes extreme cod run'n'gun gameplay.

One of the great things about it is that you don't just run to an objective and fight an enemy. After with my squad establishing a fob (forward operating base) and securing an objective, our squad pushed up to take another objective from the enemy, but what happened was halfway to the bridge, some of our squads ran straight into two squads of enemy soldiers, and it was just a very intense firefight.

So that by setting up rally points in Squad is what it makes this whole unpredictibility on the battlefield accomplished, as you and your Squad can actually be taken by surprised or clashed with the enemy anywhere on the massive terrain battlefield. And despite a massive terrain there are actually many really intense close-combat fights in towns or compounds.

Another thing, in SQUAD it doesn't show kills on the scoreboard until the end of the round.

Would love FE to be just like SQUAD but the only difference it being set in ww2.

And must not forget of course, if DH can still pull off its old engine and have these it'd be awesome too.

• Razorneck and kuopassa like this

#7 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

I started playing Squad and I wanted to write a bit about it but I see Kashash already did, in great detail  :D

One thing I think that works in Squad but I'd like different in FE is objectives. They're all neutral at the beginning of the round. In a game like DH and FE I'd much rather see an Attack/Defend style round. 

Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#8 r0tzbua

r0tzbua

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

Gotta say Squad is currently my favourite shooter on the market. It is very rough in a lot of places of course, but the dev team is super into it and keeps pushing for good updates regarding stabilisation. In the future I'm pretty sure more content-focused updates will also follow once some of the systems get stabilized like animations and networking.

It may not be the most flashy shooter right now, but judging alone from future possibilities and their involvement, I'm reeeeally looking forward to what the future holds for that game, especially once there is a SDK out.

Also there maybe is even a WW2 mod in the works. *cough* (sorry :D)

• Razorneck likes this
2D+3D artist. Does stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users