• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

I saw there isn't such a thread in FE section yet so I thought I will make one.

What would you like to see the most. This thread is mostly about things that weren't possible to do in DH due to engine limitations but you really wish to be in FE in order to have a better teamwork or overall game experience. Ideally this thread wouldn't be about what kind of vehicles or weapons you'd like to see but more about technical aspects of the game.

Please write it with punctuation marks like dashes or numbers so that every post from every poster is clear to see.

I'll start:

- Disabling tanks/vehicles where a crew gets killed/injured/shocked without a complete destruction of the vehicle.

- Animations for vehicles where players actually have to come through the back door ratther than just instantly "pop out" of halftracks. Really important to prevent driving the halftracks and unrealistically dropping off disembarking them right in the middle of enemy capzones.

- Infantry being vulnerable in buildings even if the HE shell from the tank/gun hits the wall.

- Perhaps some sort of random blast radius from grenades (so that a grenade doesn't kill all the players at once nearby an explosion like in RO/DH).

- Improved grenade throwing to make them a bit less precise.

- I'd love to see types of formations in the squads like wedge,echelon,column.

- Some sort of assistance role for an MG, where the guy would be helping the MG gunner spot targets making the MG class more effective.

- Ability to appoint orders only to a selected group of players for specific task such as "covering fire" or "advance".

- Different victory types such as - Total victory, Major, Tactical, Minor or a Draw.

- The loss of men and material calculated into the victory title.

- After-Action-Report to see how many men and vehicles were lost in the battle. This thing alone will change the whole behavior the way players act on the battlefield not wasting in vain too many men or vehicles the next time they play.

- I would like to receive a blinking notifications from players that have sent me a voice command directly to me. Too many times I asked someone to give me ammo/transport/mortar marker etc only to not receive any response because they can't see it. I think little things like that would solve the whole teamwork problems and vastly improve it by anyone who's not aware that someone is needing their help and not doing their job.

- Having voice commands both quiet ones and loud so that it can be switched by pressing a key.

- An effective vote kicking system that by works by simply responding "YES" or "NO" on 1,2 keys as a deafult by the majority of players.

- forward movable deployable spawns so the teams or SLs can set them up on the battlefield.

- A more gradual progression of the attacking forces into the defensive positions rather than an almost instantaneous spawn and run into the capzone DH-style.

- Nahverteidigungswaffe for Panthers/Tigers etc.

- Slightly different movement speeds depending on the type of terrain. The tanks should move faster on roads than a rough terrain. As for the infantry, I hope at least the staircase will slow down the player. 

- Pre-Round Timer for better organizational plans before the actual battle begins. Perhaps something like a briefing between the Squadleader and the players.

- Toggleable HUD on demand button that is in RO2 is something I thought one of the things they got right and I quite liked. It could be a little bit redesigned to make it even better perhaps.

- Some sort of adrenaline

- A morale boost when being nearby a Squad leader. (Things come to my mind such as less shaky effect under pinned down when nearby a SL)

- Having a low morale somehow simulated onto players, especially when being nearby constant artillery explosions or death of teammates all around you. It should have an effect on you just like in real life.

- Better concealment and stealth elements implemented when using surrounding vegetation. Ability to blend in or use some camouflage.

- Being able to conduct a suppressive fire as w whole team at a designated target.

- Machine Guns having the "jammed effect".

- Reduced footsteps noise when sneaking up on somebody.

- Requests to join a closed squad

- Ability to tow and move guns like Pak40 or heavy machine guns carried around the battlefield in a 2-men team.

#2 Theel

Theel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

It should be known that none of these features are important.  The most important is to just get something out that is playable and these type of features can be added later.  If players expect all these features at alpha, beta, or even 1st release stage they are insane.  Devs should pick ones that they feel are important and less time constraining to implement first.

1. Ringing noise after enough loud sounds are played to the player.  Via gunshots or explosions, the ringing can gradually get louder to a maximum at which point only the duration increases.  This muffles other sounds.
  2. Explosions can fling debris/dirt into your eye causing hud overlay dirt or even blinking/blackness.  It should feel instinctual, kept to a minimum, but add to the immersion and make explosions feel more powerful.  Only happens to explosions that the player is facing.
  3. Powerful deploy system, that can support squads, spawn changes, multiple spawns, and geared towards reducing spawn killing.
  4. Absolutely no on-screen HUD until information is needed/requested.
  5. Better sound system, obviously newer engine will have one.  But if sounds can automatically change based on distance and atmosphere, would be awesome.  Also if possible sound will travel @ speed of sound, making it so you can get shot before you hear the shot.  This wouldn't be a some sound delayed hack like in older games.
  6. Realistic smoke screening.  WP smoke will screw up anyone in it.  Non-WP screens to run through.  Smoke screens more realistic looking and affected by wind.
  7. System to prevent weapon duplication, rather "role duplication" from players pick up other weapons (especially special weapons).
  8. Weapon reload can be canceled, allowing more important actions to take priority!  This also allows the player to see how heavy their mag is before they load it, canceling it if it is light and trying the next one until it is heavy enough.
  9. Anti-spawn killing system (I'd rather explain in private).
  10. No (player) collision for players that are prone, very annoying in DH.
  11. Better corpse stay system that can be edited on server or something.
  12. Score and some other variables are saved if you are disconnected.

• Razorneck likes this
Posted Image
Current Project: Darkest Hour 6.0

#3 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

Yes of course :)  This is just an array of interesting ideas for the forum members to post in but not obvious things that we already know will be in the game like better graphics, sound etc... And also could serve as a useful check-list for the developers to see if there is something they're already working on or something that hasn't been thought out. It will probably reduce the number of threads for nitpicky ideas as well.

Some features aren't a priority but perhaps some could be made for the 1st release stage a little unpolished that would be just continued to be worked on, like some features for escaping a tank, the animations don't have to be perfect at first but at least the feature would already be in and could be just being polished as the progress goes on so it's something to advertise about the features that the game has included and it continues to improve them to make perfect. 

And btw, really great ideas of yours. No on-screen HUD until information is needed/requested would be great because it's easier to see someone requests when it appears suddenly rather than like in RO/DH the constant walls of texts on the screen and most of the time don't pertain to you and when it does, you never never notice it.

#4 Twrecks

Twrecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:39 PM

GORE!

Bodily dismemberment, and impart momentum to hit locations based on damage type.

The Unreal engine has been able to support these features since 2005, be nice to see them in-game for FE.

Yea, I know, takes a lot of work programming/server-client synch/modelling/particleFX etc. IMO, with the full-body awareness, this would put the immersion over the top :)

• Razorneck likes this

#5 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

1. A leveling/advancement system, with high number values.  (e.g. level 2 might require 10,000 experience (XP), but someone playing in 100% realism mode (more on that below) could gain that in their first battle.)  Bigger numbers simply means more precision without decimal places.  The general idea is that everyone starts off as riflemen, and other roles open up as they gain XP.  To play a particular role online, however you have to take (and pass) an offline 'class' to learn how to use it properly.  (Servers would have to offer for voting only those maps that don't require roles that the current players don't have, or, more likely, allow only the most experienced players the opportunity to choose those roles.)  This would fit right in with multiple versions of a particular map, with a particular version suited to available roles.  (Even something like Wacht Am Rhein can be fought using only riflemen, as long as at least some of the players have 'drivers licenses'.)
  2. Have player aids, right down to grenade arcs and :shudder: laser sights.  ON THE OTHER HAND, the more aids you use, the less XP you get, making it easy to learn how to get really good with, for example, hip firing, but, if you use all of them, completely impossible to level up, as you would have a 0.00 XP multiplier (XPM), no matter how well you do.  On the flip side, turning all aids off (even the HUD) would give you the maximum 2.00(?) XPM.  Servers would also have to have a go/no go permissions checklist for aids.  A 'total newbie' server would have them all checked off, while a 'hardcore realism' server would have none.  Most people would probably pick the handful that maximized XP gain while minimizing frustration.  For example, as I would hear the 'tick' of my weapon's barrel contacting something, I wouldn't need the 'steadied aim' icon that DH1 has, so I might gain a 0.05 XPM.
  3. I can see a 'respawn at squad' system working, but the squad would need to pull a certain distance back from enemy contact/cap zones/etc. to permit it.  Otherwise, you would have situations where one member of a squad makes it into a cap zone, and the entire squad spawns next to him.  I would also have a 'cooldown' between spawns that stacks.  For example, if the cooldown timer is fifteen seconds, after forty-five seconds, three players can spawn in at once.  
  4. A morale system with many, many subtle variables at play.  For example, if you are playing next to someone who has a much higher level than you, your morale would naturally go up.  Likewise, fighting alongside a number of 'buddies' would increase it, as well.  OTOH, coming under fire while you are all by yourself would drop it in the toilet, especially if it is from a number of enemies spread over a wide arc.  Influences would last a while, slowly fading over time.  The idea being to encourage players to team up and fight together, as they would be 'buffed', while being an 'army of one', while still allowed, would incur natural penalties.
  5. Points for small victories would be shared by all to participated in them.  For example, the sniper off to the side who never set foot in a cap zone would be given credit for every enemy soldier that he prevented entering it.
  6. How about having animations added so that if an explosion happens, you automatically throw up your arm(s) to protect your eyes?
  7. I would have a weapon/vehicle/etc. efficiency system with direct and indirect XP.  Direct XP is using that particular weapon/vehicle/etc., while indirect XP is added to similar w/v/e, based on how similar they are.  All Allies would start out with - for example - 75% efficiency with the M1 Garand and Carbine.  Over time with use, that would increase to the point where, after 500 hours, let's say, you would become 100% proficient, meaning that, if there are no other variables interfering, you reload in the shortest possible time, almost never have a jam, your aim is dead on, etc.  Conversely, if you pick up a weapon that you have never seen before, like a K98, you would have 0% efficiency from direct XP, but, because it is a type of rifle, you might start off with 30% overall efficiency, and 80% firing efficiency from indirect XP.  This would allow anyone to use any w/v/e, but, until and unless they use it a lot, they won't be very proficient at it, meaning - for weapons - long reload times, jamming, poor aiming, etc.,and - for vehicles - trouble starting, stalling, 'bunny hopping', etc.  Again, this fits within the philosophy of 'Yes, but... instead of no.' to make people think before picking up something that might otherwise be OP.
  8. Have an option for 'Push To Talk' to be local and target a person/squad/etc., Your voice would come from your position, and the volume set to what would be necessary to reach everyone you are talking to.  That way, your whole team doesn't hear you telling your teammate to load your Bazooka, or warn your squad that there is someone in a window of the building on the right.  It would also mean that anyone, including enemies, could hear you talking, and thus know where you are.  On the other hand...
  9. How realistic would it be for every German soldier to understand English and vice-versa? Instead of permitting an enemy to hear exactly what you are saying, whenever you say something, an audio 'clue' in 'Simlish' should be spawned at your location for as long as you are talking. That will give away your location, but not what you are saying.  (Listen to the whole thing to see just how effective it could be. Done properly, it just sounds like a foreign language. In fact, the same system should also be used for voice commands.)  The volume of the Simlish would be the same as that of the originating VOIP. FaceFX lipsync should be as easily matched to the random Simlish phrases as any other language. An added bonus is that, as the audio would be generated by the client, no 'redacted' VOIP would travel from the server to the client; just the volume/position/etc., thus saving bandwidth.

..and more can be found here.

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#6 ROMMEL 34

ROMMEL 34

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 01:34 AM

• A leveling/advancement system, with high number values.
  • Have player aids, right down to grenade arcs
  • A morale system with many, many subtle variables at play
  • How about having animations added so that if an explosion happens, you automatically throw up your arm(s) to protect your eyes?
  • I would have a weapon/vehicle/etc. efficiency system with direct and indirect XP

These have absolutely no place in FE

Alles für Deutschland!

#7 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

These have absolutely no place in FE

You are welcome to your opinion, of course, and I welcome your suggestions as to how FE can solve the problems that my suggestions offer a solution to.

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users