• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nixod321

Nixod321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Quick Question: Would Italy be considered part of "Festung Europa" or is the game going to be limited to North Western Europe? Or is it more limited to Axis vs Western Allies since RO2 has the Eastern front niche covered, which would allow for Italy settings?

I ask because there are some interesting battles fought throughout the Italian peninsula. Operation Husky, for example, could easily scratch the amphibious assault itch (with accompanying paratroop operations) without having to once again enter the grey stretches of northern France. The further pushes into Italy would be prime material for wide-ranging Armour engagements.

I think I asked this somewhere before quite a while ago, but I wanted some different opinions on it.

#2 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

or is the game going to be limited to North Western Europe?

We are focusing on the western theater of operations defined as the D-day invasion of northern France 1944 and onward, Italy unfortunately would not be included.

We are however open to creating more fronts and or areas of operation in the future be it north Africa, Italy, or a proper eastern front.
The deciding factor is how much support we receive internally and externally from the community, as always we are looking for more talent most especially programmers familiar with the Unreal 4 workflow.

RO2 has the Eastern front niche covered

I completely disagree. Apart from more recent games featuring the eastern front the RO franchise barely scratched the surface
of the possibilities offered by of such a theater of operation.
  • TT33 likes this

gar83IX.gif

#3 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

I think the hardest thing about an Italy theatre to be sustainable is the large distance of the mountains/valley. 
The defensive systems used to have quite long range statuts. 
In DH, this is usally not seen by the close combat nature of the bulge, the rhineland maps and the normandy bocage.

But having a 64 player game on a field of play where you can shoot people from over a mile is a bit difficult. 
It was also something difficult in Mahre Nostrum, It made great tank battle tho. 
With the sharp hills in Italy, it is a bit different. 

But I think a 1943 expansion could be a cool thing! Battlefront did that with their combat mission Franchise.
Italy was a harsh and deadly ground, I would love to see that showcased. 

Posted Image

#4 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:57 AM

But I think a 1943 expansion could be a cool thing

Yes it would, the Italian campaign had some interesting later-war (post north africa) AFV's, which  I think would be really fun to play with (most espeically the 105mm Semovente):

P-40
2010.324.228_1.590x590.marked.jpg

Semovente 75/34
Da_75_34_10.jpg

Semovente 75/46
semovente_75-34m43_1.jpg

Semovente 105/25
Da_105_25_03.jpg

Semovente 90/53
Semovente90-01.jpg

gar83IX.gif

#5 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

An another issue with italian AFV's is optics, which are very hard to find. Currently I only know what the MG sight for the M13,14 and 15 looks like thanks to a friend.

gar83IX.gif

#6 _Nambu

_Nambu

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

Yeah these things would require some museum trips

#7 Schneller

Schneller

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

Since uniforms, weapons and vehicles would be (to a large extent)  similar for Summer in Italy as they would be for Summer in France, an ambitious Mapper could create Italian maps without terrible difficulties.  Same for the Allied invasion of Southern France.

I'm sure (if it happened at the right time) the Devs would be happy to support an effort to address these (in many ways) very similar theaters of action.

The TERRAIN would be the big thing in my mind. And that is the job of the Mapper.

Could we do every unique vehicle or paint job or uniform difference?

It would depend on the Mapper (or Community Mapper team) to convince us they wanted to create a series of great maps/battles in these theaters. There are Mappers out there with the credibility to carry a lot of weight with the JB team.

And, It is certainly easier to create a new paint job for a vehicle than it is to create the vehicle!

Posted Image

Wilsonam wrote: But, as someone said - perhaps just a touch too anal for a game

WUK: What! Thats impossible! Blasphemie!

#8 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

TT! Guille! Schneller!! This is like a fukkin' DH reunion!  :wub:

• TT33 and Cpl.Guillemette like this
Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#9 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:17 PM

To me, it's all about the defensives lines assaults, the olive tree fields and the small towns of Italy such has Ortona

17148797308_52541f36f6_b.jpg

This looks like a great Multi-map set :D, 3 towns, 1 river crossing and 1 decisive final battle uphill.

USA-MTO-Cassino-p21.jpg

Or this,
p111b.jpg

Posted Image

#10 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like a super idea for a future level design contest   :ph34r:

20151108234718.jpg

3ka2.png

#11 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:28 PM

TT! Guille! Schneller!! This is like a fukkin' DH reunion! :wub:

Maybe.....(cue the ominous music) Good to see you back on the boards too m8.

Yes, there where interesting defenses in Italy:
P40 bunker turrets:
P40_02.jpg
P40_19.jpg

Anzio Annie: 
AnniePlaque.jpg
anzio_annie_restored.jpg

There are Mappers out there with the credibility to carry a lot of weight with the JB team.

We had many talented custom mappers back on DH, whom I think will once again create excellent custom maps. However while you have a point about mapping, a different theater of operation might require
  a more "official approach" as there are many changes between Normandy and Italy that are more than just skin deep and would require new code, models, features, and effects. 

gar83IX.gif

#12 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:17 PM

Hmmm...  I distinctly remember creating a heightmap pack for Monte Cassino, but I don't recall who wanted it.  It had pretty crazy terrain, as I recall.  I would NOT want to try fighting my way up there.

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users