#1 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:39 AM

Introduction to Production Bytes.

Production Bytes is designed exclusively to keep our community informed and engaged with current development events of Festung Europa. We will include a summary of what has been completed, add images and video (when applicable) to show off any new 2D/3D art assets, code written for core game features and music and ambient sounds produced.  We will also be collecting any questions or concerns the community might have and answer them via Ask the Developers: Q&As that will be included with some Production Bytes updates.

However, we can’t guarantee at this stage that we can create a Production Bytes issue on weekly or frequent basis or that they will always include substantial content (hence the title “Production Bytes”); we will always inform our community of development events as they unfold behind the scenes. This, of course, is subject to change as production increases and we recruit more members to our ranks.

Production Bytes 1

Where other games have separate models for first and third person views of the character, we are currently using a single model. With the camera attached to the head, we aim for a realistic viewpoint of the players own body. We already support free look. By default, the head is locked to look at the same direction the player is walking to. With free look, the player can rotate his head while walking in a different direction. Other players see the head rotating accordingly.

Attached Thumbnails

• HighresScreenshot00000.jpg
  • HighresScreenshot0001.jpg

• Razorneck, kuopassa and HerrWeidner like this

#2 RWM_Barbarossa

RWM_Barbarossa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Looks very nice. Keep up the good work and I am glad to see that you guys try to add new features/attributes to the game like the realistic viewpoint to the own body.

Plz make everything as hardcore realistic as possible. We desperately need such a WW2 game! :)

#3 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:45 AM

Great stuff guys! Welcome back to the surface  ;)

Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#4 Skringly

Skringly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:40 AM

Looks great! Made my morning to wake up and see an update from you guys. Welcome back! :)

• kuopassa likes this

#5 Sapiens

Sapiens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

I was wondering about the head view movement. I assume you're designing it for track ir or oculus type systems.

Will there also be the ability to do it with the mouse if you say hold "alt" like in arma?

#6 VarenykySupreme

VarenykySupreme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

Off to a great start! Obviously with all this stuff being so early in development it's all subject to change, but I've noticed two things in the videos: First of all, the colors look a bit overly muted. In the pictures it becomes even more noticeable as there's no sun glint (I'll get to that in a second) to make it so everything looks washed out and the result is that the uniforms, the skin, and especially the rifle stocks seem extremely drab (looking at the 98k, it appears as though the texture is unfinished due to the metal being uncolored so I'm going to assume that this is subject to change, which gives me hope). The second thing that irked me about the video is the overuse of sun glint. I mean, you couldn't see anything 20 feet in front of you!

Once again I realize this is all really pre-alpha stuff and I hope I'm not coming across as a dick, just a few things I wanted to point out that I noticed. It looks fucking awesome for being as early as it is and I cannot wait to play this game upon release! Keep up the good work, guys.

#7 Twrecks

Twrecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:42 PM

Great feature. Full body awareness and synchronized 3rd person animations kick the immersion level up a notch. Hopefully we'll see some simple hand signals in the future.

#8 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:53 PM

I was wondering about the head view movement. I assume you're designing it for track ir or oculus type systems.

Will there also be the ability to do it with the mouse if you say hold "alt" like in arma?

It currently functions using the "alt" key + mouse. We would like to add head tracking support in the future, but it will depend on our programming time / resources.

• kuopassa likes this

3ka2.png

#9 Cpl.Guillemette

Cpl.Guillemette

Elite Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

We can expect more updates? :D
This is such a great feaure to improve the situational awarness of the player.
I kind of forgot about this video.hahaha
Will we be able to aim with the same kind of mechanism? 
Like a wider degree of liberty than before?

Posted Image

#10 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

We can expect more updates? :D

We are about half-way through a 60 day sprint towards our next major benchmark. I imagine we'll have more news in between now and then, and most certainly at the end.

• kuopassa likes this

3ka2.png

#11 Serathis

Serathis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:43 AM

Great, seeing some progress after such a long time of no updates!

Bloody screen! So real.

#12 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

Great to see you guys are still alive and kicking! We may yet get our sequel to DH. Shurek, you promised to post a road map a couple of months ago. Care to share what is involved with your 60-day sprint?
  • kuopassa likes this

Posted Image

#13 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

At the end of the sprint, we'll have a completed map and a very basic, multiplayer version of the game. I can't give more details than that at this point, other than to say there are no tanks ready (yet). 

• kuopassa and HerrWeidner like this

3ka2.png

#14 _Nambu

_Nambu

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:22 PM

Hi everyone, at the moment I am trying to get some feedback and suggestions for the wip capture zones system. Please, take a look here and join the brainstorming  ;)

http://forums.jackbo...system-thread/ 

#15 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

I'll be honest; the first video made me go "HOLY CRAP!  That's GORGEOUS!"   ...and then I watched the second.  I know that you guys are in the UK and all and don't know what a sunny day looks like :P, but that effect has *GOT* to go.  If I am out and have to look at/near the sun, I squint until I can see again and keep looking.  I guess you could emulate that with a restricted viewport if you really want to, but it would probably be a better use of time to just drop the insane sun glare and bloom.  Please.

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#16 Skringly

Skringly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:48 AM

but it would probably be a better use of time to just drop the insane sun glare and bloom.  Please.

Have to agree. I'm left wondering if that last video was directed by J.J. Abrams with all that lense flare. :P

#17 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

While we are in production, and until the final game is released, everything you see should be considered Work in Progress and subject to change, including level lighting, post-processing effects, model / texture quality, etc.

3ka2.png

#18 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:47 AM

While we are in production, and until the final game is released, everything you see should be considered Work in Progress and subject to change, including level lighting, post-processing effects, model / texture quality, etc.

...and now you really sound like J.J. in front of his backers.  :evilgrin:

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#19 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:01 AM

...and now you really sound like J.J. in front of his backers. :evilgrin:

Could be worse:

gar83IX.gif

#20 Noizekick

Noizekick

Beta Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:20 PM

Good stuff!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Production Bytes, Full Body Awareness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users