#1 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

I came across this neat tutorial on procedurally made walls/etc., and realized that, with some adjustments, it could make filling a map with such content much easier.  Am I barking up the wrong tree, or could we be on to something?

• kuopassa likes this
"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#2 kuopassa

kuopassa

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

It could make also road surfaces if they're textures and trenches etc. Looks nice. :-)

#3 Nixod321

Nixod321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:57 AM

And if the tech gets really good, it could even make miles of countryside that is radically different everytime you play it.

#4 kuopassa

kuopassa

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

Yes, it could make random content to "secondary" areas of the map, but leave important places like cap zones (if there are those) and spawn areas (if the are those) untouched.

#5 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:58 PM

Actually, it is possible to not just generate a *few* things on a map, but *EVERYTHING*, so every single building in a given round could be in a different state, hedgerows broken in different locations, bomb craters at different, random places, etc.  They could even change while the battle is going on, if i understand correctly.

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#6 Twrecks

Twrecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:41 PM

There's nothing random about procedural content, unless you add variation in the sequence. "Randomness" is not multi-player game friendly. Unless you want a client side only flight sim, don't think that's an option for FE. 

AFAIK, the unreal engine requires lightmaps to be "baked" as part of the publishing process for a map/level release. This simply is not possible "on the fly". Map loading times would depend on the server to generate levels prior to loading. High-end 64bit 8core PCs can take hours to create these lightmaps. The more content, the longer the build. If you want good FPS, and fast load times, only small details could be scripted to be truely random. AI pathing is also a limiting factor. Let's not get into "balance", as random builds could adversely effect gameplay.

Nice tool all the same. UE4 is amazing.

#7 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:51 PM

There's nothing random about procedural content, unless you add variation in the sequence. "Randomness" is not multi-player game friendly. Unless you want a client side only flight sim, don't think that's an option for FE. 

AFAIK, the unreal engine requires lightmaps to be "baked" as part of the publishing process for a map/level release. This simply is not possible "on the fly". Map loading times would depend on the server to generate levels prior to loading. High-end 64bit 8core PCs can take hours to create these lightmaps. The more content, the longer the build. If you want good FPS, and fast load times, only small details could be scripted to be truely random. AI pathing is also a limiting factor. Let's not get into "balance", as random builds could adversely effect gameplay.

Nice tool all the same. UE4 is amazing.

1. Oh, believe me, I don't mean completely random; that way lies madness!  Building interiors, for example, can can randomly selected from a list of pre-made choices.
  2. It turns out that individual objects can't be baked outside of the map, yet.  It would be a great feature to add, though.  A number of versions of a map could be created, though, and one chosen at random at loading time.  The basic idea being to creating variety and replay value without creating entire new maps.  For example, summer, winter, and weather versions, at the least.  (Imagine fighting through Vieux during a howling blizzard!)

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#8 Twrecks

Twrecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:03 AM

Season and time of day are up to the level designer. I've seen a few Uneal Engine maps ported summer<->winter, and day<->night, with some interesing effects on gameplay while not changing much or any geometry. The summer/winter maps typically use different versions of the same asset, and drastically different material sets. In either case, a new map was published with a new name so the public knew it was a port. This has nothing to do with procedural mapping.

The best case for procedural mesh would be a terrain following fence/barbwire/dragons teeth. A few clicks place nodes and you have a single mesh rolling. Bad thing is that it defeats the use of LODs. If the tool is abused (mile long mesh with a billion polys) that single mesh will kick your GPU in the nuts. I'm not an expert with UE4, however have been tinkering with the Editor since Unreal was only "Unreal" and only have a half ass grasp on content creation so I could be wrong about this version.

#9 Nixod321

Nixod321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:54 AM

Well one consideration to making large amounts of random (by the common definition) terrain to have is not so much its plausibility but whether or not it is actually benefiting the game experience. Personally, I think it would, you would have to think on your feet and play cautiously in  a manner similar to how people in reality would of had to act in these situations. It would reduce the skill gap between new and old players as well making it more "noob-friendly". 

However, some people wouldn't like that, they would prefer the skill gap to be as large as possible, due to things like a strong competitive spirit, and find learning the game by memorizing the maps to be enjoyable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users