6 replies to this topic

#1 _Nambu

_Nambu

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

Hey everyone,

I decided to open this thread because, as for the capzones and the capture system, some additional game design brainstorming provided by the community would make the difference.

So.. in order to get the discussion started, like the other topic, I've put here some points.

Disclaimer: These below are not to be intended as part of an official design.

-Categorization of every received communication:

Purpose:

. make the player be able of paying attention selectively to the stuff that is more important at the moment 

. make people receive attention far more easily in case when it's needed

Possible implementation (just threwing it here):

. separation between orders and chat, with orders (both pre-built and typed) getting notified and categorized in an always-on-screen semi-trasparent                    widget* that can be noticed instantly by the player and the chat being simply hide-or-display.

-Anti-spam measures

Purpose:

. well, "Anti-spam measures" seems pretty self-explicative  :D.

Additional possibilities:

. more restrictive anti-spam measures for the most important communications (help requests overall)

. option for auto-muting people that stil continue using the mic after an user-determinated time

-Re-designed microphone communication:

. possibility to hear/ignore one or more channel.

*Having it always-on-screen may be a controversial point for someone, gotta hear some opinions about this

This time I think it'd be better and less dispersive to procede by adding/modifying stuff into the above list as the discussion goes on.

This is everything for the moment, see you!  ;)

Nambu

#2 Twrecks

Twrecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:09 PM

Make the HUD and Orders seperate pop ups. Toggling avaiable on both, however, the Orders pop-up doesn't get blocked and will always show up when new orders are sent. They then can, of course, be toggled off. I'm not a fan of widgets, because they constantly would need to change to reflect the battlefield situation.

Interacting with a minimap would seem the more logical perspective, and the interface more understandable IMO. Can be used to mark enemy locations and arty, why not "move here", "attack there", "defend this". Players opening their minimap would in a way acknowledge commands. Always annoyed me that in RO2 TL's and SL's had to "spot" locations with their binoculars, really? Yea, mark enemies, but to call arty and direct troops?.

Chat is it's own animal. In all other games it effectively blocks all player inputs while in use, and would guess the same for FE. A large black border around the screen would be cool, as some times it easy to forget or accidentally activated chat and get frozen. The big black border would be a secondary indication only. It would also limit the FOV while in chat, think of it as "focus".

SPAM SPAM SPAM wonderful spam! *block*

#3 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

1. Allow players to customize what shows up on their HUD, and where.  As more and more people are using multiple monitors, perhaps offer the ability to move elements into a separate window.  In fact, you could even create a mobile app, and players could have everything that they didn't want on their gaming screen to show up on their phone/tablet.
  2. Be able to mute players right from their chat line/etc. with a single click.  Having to take half a minute to hunt for it is frustrating and immersion breaking.
  3. Give officers the tools that they need to really command the battle. like maps that they can 'draw' on and assign orders to specific units.  Here is an example from ATC to give you an idea of what I am talking about.  Units would only get their orders showing up on their maps.  Unit leaders would be able to draw on theirs, and the changes would flow upstream and down.
  4. Please use the 'row-column-keypad' grid system that the 29th came up with.  ('GridOverlayCMut', if you want to try it in DH/RO.)  'Delta four' could cover half a town, while 'Delta four keypad seven' could pick out an individual building.
  5. Macros.  Lots of macros.  Typing "%h at %l.  %nc. %na."  would result in this showing up in the chat window: "'DeadlyDad' Olson: Badly hurt at D4k7.  Need cover.  Need ammo."  It wouldn't be hard to bind that to a key, or create a menu for it.  (Tapping a shifting key while in chat would pop up the macro list.)
    • Get mappers to create a descriptive name for every important position on the map that they can think of.  The macro '%t' would be given the name and grid coordinate of whatever you are looking at, or just the grid coordinate if it doesn't have a name.
    • '%p' would be the name of the person who was closest to the center of the screen when you opened the chat window.  That would allow players to easily talk to a specific person.  ('/w' - whisper - as the first thing on the line would text only that person.)
    • '%et' would be 'enemy type', while '%ec% would be 'enemy count'.
  6. Have an option for 'Push To Talk' to be local and target a person/squad/etc., Your voice would come from your position, and the volume set to what would be necessary to reach everyone you are talking to.  That way, your whole team doesn't hear you telling your teammate to load your Bazooka, or warn your squad that there is someone in a window of the building on the right.  It would also mean that anyone, including enemies, could hear you talking, and thus know where you are.  On the other hand...
  7. How realistic would it be for every German soldier to understand English and vice-versa? Instead of permitting an enemy to hear exactly what you are saying, whenever you say something, an audio 'clue' in 'Simlish' should be spawned at your location for as long as you are talking. That will give away your location, but not what you are saying.  (Listen to the whole thing to see just how effective it could be. Done properly, it just sounds like a foreign language. In fact, the same system should also be used for voice commands.)  The volume of the Simlish would be the same as that of the originating VOIP. FaceFX lipsync should be as easily matched to the random Simlish phrases as any other language. An added bonus is that, as the audio would be generated by the client, no 'redacted' VOIP would travel from the server to the client; just the volume/position/etc., thus saving bandwidth.

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#4 _Nambu

_Nambu

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hey there guys! thanks for your  two cents on this. I am pretty busy with development and other stuff right now to help continuing ythe discussion.

Anyway, keep in touch! there might be updates on this topic about how the communication will be handled in the alpha version ;-) !

• 'DeadlyDad' Olson likes this

#5 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:05 AM

Hey there guys! thanks for your  two cents on this. I am pretty busy with development and other stuff right now to help continuing ythe discussion.

Anyway, keep in touch! there might be updates on this topic about how the communication will be handled in the alpha version ;-) !

That's great to hear!  I would also encourage you to try playing Project Reality and check out how they handle comms.  (Spoiler: It works VERY well, even in a 100 person server.)

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#6 _Nambu

_Nambu

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

That's great to hear!  I would also encourage you to try playing Project Reality and check out how they handle comms.  (Spoiler: It works VERY well, even in a 100 person server.)

Will give a try to that mod too, it seems to be free.

_____

|__|   |

_____|        |

|_ _ _           | _

|_ _ _          

|_ _ _

|____________

#7 Theel

Theel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:07 AM

I agree Project Reality seems to have communication down pretty well.  With some exceptions of course, like at the end of the round everyone screaming about random shit like it's their first time on the internet.  It is not needed and serves no purpose, but to give those people who like to scream over the mic a chance to annoy everyone else.

My personal preference is to never have enemies hearing each other, I find it too much a deterrent for voice comms.  Also it can get silly when enemies are talking about movies, beer, or insulting one another while you are trying to actually play the game.  Public voice (all-chat) I also highly dislike, except for testing or when the server only has a few people, it could probably go away all together and I wouldn't mind.

With virtual communication, you need to throw authenticity out the window... why?  Because making it authentic would make everyone hate it, no one would use it, and instead just use a 3rd party app.  So you need to make it practical and focus on making it useful for teamwork and avoid possible annoyance/abuse where you can.  As for who can talk across the team... this is something that is likely controversial and even I'm not sure how I really feel about it, perhaps the best way to deal with this issue is to have it server sided and can be disabled/enabled. 

Really you need 4 types (channels) of voice comms:

Local (ranged based voice across your team)

Squad (everyone in the squad can communicate to everyone in the squad)

Leadership (all leaders with at least 1 follower (1 other in their squad) can communicate/listen in this channel)

Team (everyone on the team will hear this) <- allowing this to everyone makes the Leadership near pointless

Team should be restrictive and not everyone should be able to transmit in it, however I think it may be annoying if those conditions change from moment to moment, so perhaps coming up with a simple solution is best.  For DH we may keep it simple and allow anyone to talk in team, but hope that the community regulates itself to frown upon misuse of it (assuming we manage to fix the flaws).

About the HUD and other forms of communication:

Our plan for Darkest Hour is to allow squad leaders to point out orders and have it show up on the squad's HUD.  However I'm super against pop-ups and -hell- I'm super against having a HUD at all, therefore we will be making it so to see your HUD, you must hold a key (or toggle) and while the HUD is displayed you cannot fire/attack (though you can still move/look around).  The SL's order will have a in-game voice command, like "Suppress that target!" or "Move to that position!" and the squad can hold down their HUD key see where they need to fire or move and then let go and do so.  Each type of order (fire,move,etc) will remain for 15-30 seconds unless replaced by another of the same type, but multiple types can be laid down at once, to support fire team tactics (fire and maneuver).  This will allow for the simulation of pointing at a location and other situational awareness you can get from real life communication.

• 'DeadlyDad' Olson likes this
Posted Image
Current Project: Darkest Hour 6.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users