#1 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:02 PM

Production Bytes 2

The complicated process of building a house for Festung Europa begins with finding a floor plan. In some instances we can use a real floor plan drawn by an architect, but in the case of this house, it's going to be a re-imagining of a house found in Darkest Hour: Europe '44 - '45. By extracting the house from the game files, I can move it into a modeling program where I begin blocking out the basic dimensions of the new house—the interior walls, where the windows and doors will go, etc.

2015-10-17_00001.jpg HighresScreenshot00003.jpg

After comparing the old building to numerous images of houses and buildings in Normandy contemporary with the invasion, I decided that not all of the features of the building were strictly historical, so I made some changes. However, the basic footprint of the building remains the same.

40bef516270a337acccb1466bca5af56.jpg 12172310694_50ea925f0c_o.jpg

Having modeled the basic house, I had to make it lifelike. To accomplish this, I examined more reference photos of houses in Normandy, and created models of windows and quoins to decorate the house with. I also created a set of beams to be placed on the ceiling of the ground floor. After this was done, I created a set of wallpaper materials that would have been popular in the 1940s.

2015-10-17_00002.jpg HighresScreenshot00001.jpg

The last, but very difficult and very important, step is to create lightmap UVs for the house. These allow Unreal Engine 4 ("UE4") to project light onto the house and bounce it around in an extremely realistic fashion using Lightmass. As an artist, this is one of my favorite features of UE4 because it creates incredibly realistic interior lighting. To see it used to its maximum potential, you might want to look up "arch viz" or "architectural visualization" done in UE4.

HighresScreenshot00002.jpg HighresScreenshot00004.jpg

Quoted from Rubberslug, Jackboot Games' 3D modeller.

• Razorneck, Cpl.Guillemette, kuopassa and 3 others like this

#2 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

Holy funk! This is so sexy! I can't even right now! I can't even <3

Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#3 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

Holy funk! This is so sexy! I can't even right now! I can't even <3

I can't even imagine that you can't even right now. That's must be painful.

• Razorneck likes this

#4 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:50 AM

I can't wait to throw nades down that staircase at you Razor  :P

• Razorneck and Lamb like this

3ka2.png

#5 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:33 AM

Niiiiice!  If you want more pics to work with, I posted on how to use Google Streetview a few years ago: http://forums.jackbo...ek-wip/?p=50829

You can also find a LOT of aerial photos from WW2 here: http://ncap.org.uk/browse/map

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#6 RubberSlug

RubberSlug

Jackboot Games

• Jackboot Games
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thanks! There's no such thing as too much reference material.

#7 'DeadlyDad' Olson

'DeadlyDad' Olson

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

Thanks! There's no such thing as too much reference material.

You are more than welcome.  Here is some more work that I did that you are welcome to use in FE.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to do any more, but you are welcome to use my heightmap packs to quickly add real-world terrain.  BOH-rekrut used a number of them for his excellent maps.  They each contain an .inf file that has information about the data, 16 bit greyscale heightmaps [ht], Google satellite overlays (to help with feature placement) [tx], Google roadmaps [rd], and (often) terrain contour maps [ct] and terrain reflectance maps. (used for shading elevations.) [rf]  The last three are mainly for creating in-game overview maps.  If you want a filled contour map layer, the easiest way is to average the heightmap a bit, then posterize it using the 'Z range' from the .inf file.  That will give you 1m elevations.  Divide the 'Z range' by whatever you want the increments to be if you want something different.

Hope this helps!

"Keep calm, and tell me all about it."

Need help? Friend me:
Posted Image

#8 Twrecks

Twrecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

So is the whole house a single mesh?

Just curious as it seems most buildings in Unreal Engine use BSP walls (which also acts as collision), then Static meshes are applied to flesh it out..

Making the entire structure a single mesh goes against the modular design approach, and requires unique UCX (collision) and LODs (Levels of Detail). I know UE4 is its own animal, yet I would imagine the production pipeline of assets is similar to UE3. Been thinking about naking the jump to UE4, which is why I ask (yes, I know UE4 has been out for some time :P ).

All the same, looks great!

#9 RubberSlug

RubberSlug

Jackboot Games

• Jackboot Games
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

The building comprises a few different meshes (including the walls). 

#10 r0tzbua

r0tzbua

• Festung Europa Contributor
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

Nice stuff!

Some inputs if you don't mind :D

Have you tried adding a bit more definition to the wallpapers inside the house? Maybe some imperfections on the normals, some miscolorations here and there, maybe some tears, adds quite some interesting things and makes it quite readable, especially if you're going for some details in the normals.

If that's an old house some wetter spots are also easily possible since back then isolation wasn't that good,

The decal system in UE4 is quite a beast as well, so if you don't want too much repetition to those things you could try to add some details via decals.

• Razorneck likes this
2D+3D artist. Does stuff.

#11 Lamb

Lamb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Oh god that looks good

Seems I may have to have sex with darkest nation while razor sprays us with whipped cream. But thats fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Production Bytes, Map Assets, FE_Raids

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users