• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 5th SS Div Wiking

5th SS Div Wiking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

That old issue of ground-clutter being drawn (or not) at max viewing-distance. Will I be hidden in the long grass at the top of a hill or will the sniper across the valley see me as a cue-ball on a snooker table? :lol:

#2 Twrecks

Twrecks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

I'm no dev, yet would guess foliage would cull at further rages. Game engine thing for conserving FPS. One way around would be moving player camera on zoom for snipers, so foliage would be present. Unfortunately does not address spotting players at distances that are in this type of cover. Be cool if there were some kind of trigger rendering players with some transparency at long range if they are supposidly thus concealed.

I agree that it's annoying when you're in tall grass and can only see grass, yet someone 100m away can see you clear as day.

• 5th SS Div Wiking likes this

#3 5th SS Div Wiking

5th SS Div Wiking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

I guess I'm wondering if devs think graphics processing-power has come far enough to allow that bubble to be significantly expanded.

#4 Shurek

Shurek

Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:44 AM

This is on our list of annoying items to tackle for FE. The good news is that UE4 has a very good grass optimization system already in place, and it will likely get even better over time as they continue to work on the engine, thus allowing us to push out the range at which grass can be drawn without tremendous performance impact.

• Spindle likes this

3ka2.png

#5 5th SS Div Wiking

5th SS Div Wiking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Shurek, that's good to hear. Really looking forward to FE. It sounds like it'll have all that's good about DH plus a whole bunch more. :)

#6 FuriousBystander

FuriousBystander

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

I'm not a big fan of the Arma series, but one of the things they got right in Arma2 and 3 was the foliage. Will you be able to add in a similar bending and flattening effect for grass and bushes in FE?

Posted Image

#7 5th SS Div Wiking

5th SS Div Wiking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

I don't recall ArmA doing ground-clutter very well and was, in fact, one of the main reasons I stopped playing it. Might have been ArmA2 though, so I assume ArmA3 has improved things?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users