• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SilentAssassin

SilentAssassin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:09 AM

Anybody see this game? A friend ended up telling me about it today.  It doesn't look like it's going for realism like Festung Europa, but it's good to see more WWII themed shooters appearing.

https://www.kickstar...1944-pc-xb1-ps4

#2 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

A true success dream almost would be if games like Festung Europa could swoop down and crush all these generic, senseless running twitch shooters like this Battalion 1944 with crosshair markers by beating them in popularity and selling count and become a new example of what a ww2 shooter should look like. But it's a shame that these type of games are what people in the mainstream usually go for instead of more realistic with tactical approach titles like FE or DH...

I'll never understand how these games get so much hype...

Lol this game going to have a "deathmatch" mode.

I guess only cosmetic upgrades doing visual customization to your character is ok but then it's says also includes weapons and accessories...

However it would be interesting if you could have real time battalion size like number on the server and have no lag issues playing with such large number of players.

I can't believe they offer a 1500£ package for to become an "Ultimate Elite Partner" lol.

• Razorneck and kuopassa like this

#3 SilentAssassin

SilentAssassin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

I look at it this way.  If we get too many realistic shooters, the market will become oversaturated, much like how it already is with twitch shooters like CoD.  I like the diversity it creates.

#4 Nixod321

Nixod321

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

A true success dream almost would be if games like Festung Europa could swoop down and crush all these generic, senseless running twitch shooters like this Battalion 1944 with crosshair markers by beating them in popularity and selling count and become a new example of what a ww2 shooter should look like. But it's a shame that these type of games are what people in the mainstream usually go for instead of more realistic with tactical approach titles like FE or DH...

I guess only cosmetic upgrades doing visual customization to your character is ok but then it's says also includes weapons and accessories...

However it would be interesting if you could have real time battalion size like number on the server and have no lag issues playing with such large number of players.

I can't believe they offer a 1500£ package for to become an "Ultimate Elite Partner" lol.

You sound like someone who needs to learn about tolerance and diversity. Other people like other things, that doesn't necessarily make them bad, especially not in this case. 

There are very good reasons why they are more popular (easier to play, easier to get matches in, marketed more, quicker/faster-paced, more competitive etc), and it's not because people are too stupid to play the same games as you.

• kuopassa likes this

#5 Kashash

Kashash

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

That was just my critique on the scarcity of truly realistic ww2 fps these days. There haven't been any games close to DH since RO2 was a let down. So your argument is a little bit invalid. Can you please keep at least some degree of maturity when discussing on the forum instead of jumping out on me with name calling stupid? If there were more games like DH then fair enough but this isn't a balanced diversity of arcade fps & realism fps especially when talking about ww2 theme only.

These battalion devs calling their game "authentic ww2 experience" kind of put me off, that's why I had to write something about it :P

I do understand their decisions for making this fast-paced fps, it's clearly a money-making scheme that aims at making huge profits that will last for maybe a year instead of building a serious player-base for dedicated fans. It's sad that more and more devs are going for this kind of route and I think it isn't good the more we have games like that because it tends to distract an interest into real ww2 experience and is even more difficult to create any truly historically accurate ww2 fps games these days. The other arcadish type games tarnishes and curtails the realism games to the point where there's barely any actualy thriving on the market.

#6 TT33

TT33

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

You sound like someone who needs to learn about tolerance and diversity. Other people like other things

Invalid statement, people may like other things that does not give them the right to forcefully dictate how other people express their preferences.

I personally dislike uninspired assembly line simple twitch shooter games.
Battalion 1944 appears to have cross hairs, balanced code (no surprise there), small "gritty" maps (aka interconnected small arena maps), no tanks/ vehicles (lack of vehicles is a huge mistake for a WWII game), etc.
How is this different than anything else out atm?
Its not other than using WWII models & its cynical marketing strategy in which the creators name dropped old games COD,DOD,CS. to shoehorn a nostalgic element into their game.

Remember these games from your childhood = impulse purchases.

I played & owned some of those games mentioned not because they were timeless but because they were the best that time period offered in terms of WWII games, there is the disconnect. As its not the late 90's or early 2000's anymore we do not need more games like this the market is flooded with them to the extent that now what passes as "unique" is going back to WWII with the same game formula instead of developing new ideas.

Its the same laziness & unwillingness to take a chance that has spawned remakes and reboots of 1980's-90's movies this is just the latest game version of that.

War Games need and require thinking on the part of the player,  they need to be engaging, require teamwork, coordination, require having to deal with changing battlefield conditions,etc.

"Losing a tank or an ammunition depot should matter  (for every side). ...Players should be invested in the battle"

• Razorneck likes this

gar83IX.gif

#7 SilentAssassin

SilentAssassin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

Invalid statement, people may like other things that does not give them the right to forcefully dictate how other people express their preferences.

I personally dislike uninspired assembly line simple twitch shooter games.
Battalion 1944 appears to have cross hairs, balanced code (no surprise there), small "gritty" maps (aka interconnected small arena maps),etc.
How is this different than anything else out atm?
Its not other than using WWII models & its cynical marketing strategy in which the creators name dropped old games COD,DOD,CS. to shoehorn a nostalgic element into their game.

Remember these games from your childhood= impulse purchases.

I played & owned some of those games mentioned not because they were timeless but because they were the best that time period offered in terms of WWII games, there is the disconnect. As its not the late 90's or early 2000's anymore we do not need more games like this the market is flooded with them to the extent that now what passes as "unique" is going back to WWII with the same game formula instead of developing new ideas. Its the same laziness & unwillingness to take a chance that has spawned remakes and reboots of 1980's-90's movies this is just the latest game version of that.

War Games need and require thinking on the part of the player,  they need to be engaging, require teamwork, coordination, require having to deal with changing battlefield conditions,etc.

"Losing a tank or an ammunition depot should matter  (for every side). ...Players should be invested in the battle"

Since we're on the Festung Europa forums, I assume that everybody here would like to feel like each element of battle matters, such as some of the things you brought up, but in a shooter like the Battalion, CoD, or MoH. The only thing that should matter is kills.  It's a different paced game and with players that have different ideas in what makes a game compared to Festung Europa.  While Battalion 1944 is hardly and original concept it is the latest WWII arena combat shooter to hit the markets, which really doesn't have any other games besides Heroes and Generals or the old CoD: WaW, so players of that genre are very excited.

What I can't piece together though is how they got so much media attention on the game.  They must have dropped some serious cache for all of that because the kickstarter wasn't even funded and there were articles and other types of media naming this game "The First Return of WWII combat on PC" which is what it hardly is since there are games like Heroes and Generals, Festung Europa, Traction Wars, Red Orchestra 2, Rising Storm, Resistance and Liberation, and even more that I can't remember off the top of my head.  There acting like it was a forgotten concept or something.  I'll probably pick up Battalion 1944 though, because I play anything that goes from CoD gameplay to the Arma series, but so far my favorites remain games that are like the original Red Orchestra 1 and Arma 2.

• Razorneck likes this

#8 Razorneck

Razorneck

Veteran

• Festung Europa Tester
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

What I really wanna see, Is something like squad but in WW2 and on a bigger scale. I don't know what their recipe for succes is but the fact remains, it's a realism shooter (emphasis on realism as opposed to Battalion) and it's very popular.

Posted Image

Retired DH developer

Maps: Bois Jacques, Poteau Ambush (w/ Jörg Biermann), Noville, Son, Nuenen, Dog Green (w/ Exocet, Sichartshofen), Wanne (w/ BOH-rekrut)

DH Forums - Going off topic since 2006

#9 Drecks

Drecks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:37 AM

Some people like this others that. Same as with maps some like this map others like that map I have played many different WW2 shooters and all had there share of fun. From MOH AA to Red Orchestra. Recently I started to play COD UO again. Not the most realsitic WW2 shooter, but the Base Assault gamemode still stands. Absolute no realism, but it simply offers instant fun for the casual game and there are a lot casual gamers.

Better wait with any dream, wish or judgement before you actually have played Festung Europe, Batallion or any other future WW2 game. For both mentioned games there is a long road ahead to a first release.  

• kuopassa likes this

#10 Theel

Theel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

What we truly want is a "realistic" (no bullshit) WWII shooter with tanks and tons of players.  It doesn't have to be major open world (bigger world = less people per square KM).  People seem to label Squad as the solution to problems, but it has it's own problems.

Battalion 1944 looks like a generic game that has WWII skins, bullshit xhairs, and no real purpose for existence.  Sorry I'm so critical of it, but I honestly thought they showed a bunch of Day of Defeat Source footage, when it was their game.........

I agree with the stuff they say in the video.  I like the simplified back to the roots stuff, but no tanks alone is enough of a reason for me to not care about the game.  I've come to desire WWII games to have that dynamic combat, where combined arms creates a new level of tactics, require a bit of luck to knock out, and the sides aren't always fair.  Actually I've always liked the idea of sides not being fair. 

What are my roots?

Hostile Intent / Rainbow Six / Insurgency (old school, no xhair, damage system, pure tactics)

Day of Defeat (WWII element, can be any WWII game though)

Operation Flashpoint (Combined arms and mission element)

^ those games combined is what I'm looking for.  Wait why didn't I like BF1942?  The game felt like a watered down glass of water.  The damage system was a joke.  The weapons felt like plastic toys designed from plastic replicas.  The bots were worthless (as they always are) and the multiplayer was destroyed by greedy players.  Basically the only time I had fun in BF1942 was when I played with friends with bots, all bots against us... which was insanely boring after a few hours.  I didn't mind the AI in Operation Flashpoint, because it was mission based and it felt like an obstacle to overcome (with friends) and not like an obstacle to push aside.  I liked Day of Defeat for the damage and maps and wanted to turn it more into DH. 

Summary:  Game design is as complicated as people's desires.  Congrats for Battalion44 for successfully completing their kickstarter, but it isn't for me and by the sounds of it, people who have the same like-minded desires.  No tanks, no me.

Posted Image
Current Project: Darkest Hour 6.0

#11 apex944

apex944

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

Not involved with them in any way at all.  I'm just a loyal DH player who has been waiting patiently for FE to appear.  Now I see this and I wonder if there is enough room for 2 very similar genres?

Or maybe these are some guys who used to work on DH or FE ?? 
What's the scoop?

#12 Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig

Elite Veteran

• Jackboot Games
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

A similar thread has already been started for this game

Topic merged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users