• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

I've been working on and off on a map for DH for a while, and just recently finished it up. The map is pretty straight forward, allies are assaulting a hill and germans are defending. I've done no gameplay testing at all except for my best guesses on time and reinf levels, so feedback on how the map actually plays out would be helpful. Hope people enjoy, here are some screens to give a general idea of the map layout.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DOWNLOAD

#2 Krieger

Krieger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

The map itself looks awesome. There are a few invisible walls, along some of the trenches. The only real thing I saw, that should be changed are the unit classes. For the Germans, maybe increase the assault class from 2 to 6, add another mg and add the mg42 to the mix, add some semi-auto riflemen, give the officer class smokes, and give the squad leader the choice of the mp44 along with the mp40.

Allied side looked to have balanced classes, but I'm wondering, why is there a combat engineer class?
Give Death, Take Death
Posted Image

#3 BartBear

BartBear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

Small snapshot gallery Posted Image=>Posted Image

DL LINK: Posted Image

#4 SchutzeSepp

SchutzeSepp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

that looks like like a beautifull map, i like the general realistic look of the environment. i think i will steal some ideas :wink:
http://forums.tripwi...line=1250418028

maps: RO-PariserPlatz DH-Foy DH-stavelot DH-La Gleize DH-Cheneux DH-raids DH-Stoumont DH-Targnon
released: DH-Maupertus viewtopic.php?f=69&t=5521&p=53034#p53034
WIP: DH-st-marie du mont viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5647

#5 Plattfuss

Plattfuss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Looks realy good, thx FPH!

Our download-mirror:

http://redorchestra.... ... ile_id=726

Updated our servers:

78.143.25.218:7757 - [PzDF] Darkest Hour # 1 - Normandy 1944
78.143.25.218:6656 - [PzDF] Darkest Hour # 2 - Normandy 1944
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 =GG= Mr Moe

=GG= Mr Moe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

Looks good :D
Posted Image

#7 linoleum

linoleum

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

looks awsome man. nice lookin trenches!
Posted Image

#8 handyman24602

handyman24602

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

that looks like like a beautifull map, i like the general realistic look of the environment. i think i will steal some ideas :wink:

Yes i like the realistic look i always get excited when a mapper creates something that looks real as opposed to toybox diorama style, good work. I hope you can keep the map as it is without fog! I'm interested to hear about any other maps you might have in the works?

Ps: i like your work too Sepp :wink:

#9 FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regrading classes, I may change stuff up once I get some ideas how the balance works out. I didn't give the germans the 42 or too many autos because it looked like a pretty tough climb for the allies, but I'll change it if its not working. That engi class I meant to take out, I think I was planing on putting an exterior door into the bunker that the allies could destroy.

Thanks for the comments on the maps look, I had been wanting to try out this idea for making trenches for a while. The direct inspiration for the map was a really old ro map based around a hill, I forget the name, but it was a classic. I was also inspired by the quality of some of the stock and custom maps out there for dh, really impressive stuff - innovative, good looking and fun.

Once people have more of a chance to play it, let me know what you think about the gameplay and the class loadouts.

I've haven't done any mapping in a long time, but I have been knocking around some other ideas for future projects. I definitely think dh needs a really good caen map.

#10 sgt. beeton

sgt. beeton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

allies could use smoke and germans could use anotehr mg, but no more assault rifles otherwise the americans wont be able to win without very good teamork ie, we dont want anotother hurtgenwald. i lvoe the map though better than most of the ones ive played. im glad do is finally getting more player friendly maps like foucarville, hill 30, and now this 1.

#11 handyman24602

handyman24602

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

On another note, good work getting the map optimized enough not to need ridiculous amounts of fog. Me and a couple of other guys really enjoyed the long engagement ranges last night. Seeing 20 allied soldiers storm into the trench's was a sight to behold from the top of the hill.

The mg34's were a good idea however i feel that the Germans do need 42's to have a chance against the allies. The main problem is that most of the time team mates can only resupply you with a further 50 rnds, this is rather limited.

#12 SchutzeSepp

SchutzeSepp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

i also wish all maps could have such a large viewdistance, but in this case the mapper succesfully used verry little and verry simple objects to create the illusion of much more.
there is no miracle though, once you have a map filled with enterable houses, even optimised as much as possible they will make most pc's melt down with such a viewdistance.
http://forums.tripwi...line=1250418028

maps: RO-PariserPlatz DH-Foy DH-stavelot DH-La Gleize DH-Cheneux DH-raids DH-Stoumont DH-Targnon
released: DH-Maupertus viewtopic.php?f=69&t=5521&p=53034#p53034
WIP: DH-st-marie du mont viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5647

#13 handyman24602

handyman24602

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:37 AM

i also wish all maps could have such a large viewdistance, but in this case the mapper succesfully used verry little and verry simple objects to create the illusion of much more.
there is no miracle though, once you have a map filled with enterable houses, even optimised as much as possible they will make most pc's melt down with such a viewdistance.

Yeh i assumed as much. The fog works fairly well on your winter/woody maps though. however on summer countryside maps it looks out of place. I half expect a zombie to pop up out of the graveyard on omagha :), even the old AT gun on the buff could not see the beach!.

#14 FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

On another note, good work getting the map optimized enough not to need ridiculous amounts of fog. Me and a couple of other guys really enjoyed the long engagement ranges last night. Seeing 20 allied soldiers storm into the trench's was a sight to behold from the top of the hill.

The mg34's were a good idea however i feel that the Germans do need 42's to have a chance against the allies. The main problem is that most of the time team mates can only resupply you with a further 50 rnds, this is rather limited.

Thanks, it's always my objective with any map that I map to have realistic draw distances and not rely on limiting the view with fog. Unfortunately, this does limit you somewhat, especially with larger buildings as mentioned. I think there are still some options, but its tough with this version of the unreal engine and its very limited LOD tools. It can be done with a combination of simple meshes, using stats instead of bsp, and breaking down states into pieces which cull out at different distances, like the trees do on this map.

I definitely do not want to add the 42 as it is in the game now, it is just so powerful. Two mg42s in the top bunker could probably keep the first trenches clear for 10 minutes. Also, the mg34 is a lot more fun to attack against in my opinion. It's exciting because there are a lot more near misses and bullet impacts around the player, they're not just getting instantly mowed down like it would be with the 42.

Regarding balance, germans do seem to have a tough time of it. The only round I saw them win, allies had an afk sniper for most of. Here are my ideas for balancing the next beta, let me know what you think:

-Round time will be reduced 2-3 minutes
-Reduced german spawn time by several seconds.
-Germans will get some additional classes, maybe 2-3 mp40s and 2-3 g43s.
-Allies will not get any smoke. I have never been a fan, don't like the gameplay, think its unrealistic, and wont add it unless absolutely necessary.
-No mg42, not necessary

What do people think of these changes? Any other suggestions or requests for the next version of the map?

#15 Sichartshofen

Sichartshofen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:05 PM

If the bunker on the hill is suppose to be for artillery/observation, you might want to consider building something like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also any bunker the Germans would have built at that time would be underground with the roof covered and grown over to hide it from aircraft.
Posted Image

#16 handyman24602

handyman24602

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

fair enough on the mg34 your the mapper.

I think a reduction in spawn and round times will help and/or the Germans could spawn a little closer to the bunker on last cap.

#17 FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for posting the reference shots of the bunker. I am thinking that is part of the map that it would be good to redo because its not very well designed or realistic at the moment, and also because it seems like that is where the majority of the fighting on the map is taking place. I like the design of the stuff you posted, so I may try something along those lines. Do you have any more reference materials for making a proper bunker?

#18 Sichartshofen

Sichartshofen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

Over 40 German bunker types and blueprints in this pdf.

http://www.atlantik.nl/standigebau.pdf
Posted Image

#19 Sichartshofen

Sichartshofen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Any updates for this map? I've been looking forward to seeing what you've built on top of the hill.
Posted Image

#20 FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:08 AM

Unfortunately, not quite done with it yet. I've been working a bit on a different project, but it's coming along. I may release a second beta once the patch is out, just to make balance changes before introducing a lot of new stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users