Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Release 1

Jackboot Games Staff

Media Release 1

Author: Shurek
    Date: August 26, 2012

Welcome one and all to the very first post of the Festung Europa development team's official blog. Without further ado, let's get this thing kicked off.

The prime directive for our team over the past few months can best be summarized as: build, build, and build some more. In the six months since development on Darkest Hour: Europe '44-'45 concluded, our humble little team has grown from nine dedicated individuals to a staff of almost 20 strong, and still growing.

Please take a moment to visit our "Team Bios" page to learn a little bit more about the talented folks involved in this great project. Many of them have been hard at work since the beginning of this year, not only conceptualizing the features and gameplay that will go into Festung Europa, but also creating the music, scenery, characters, weapons, vehicles, and code that will ultimately reach your computer screens. And the journey really is just beginning...

Our hope is to give you a frequent glimpse into the FE workshop via our blog as development continues. If there is anything in particular you would like to see us discuss, or would like to ask the developers directly, feel free to post in this blog or on the official JBG forums.

We'll round out this first development blog posting by pointing you in the direction of the Media page, where you can find a couple of new work in progress images: the Lee Enfield No.4 Mk I rifle and the British No.69 light offensive hand grenade.

www.festungeuropagame.com

"This stuff about apple pie and ice cream and democracy is a crock of bull. We infantry guys were fighting for your buddy, the guy on the right and left of you." - Private William F. Bryan, Canadian 16th Infantry Regiment

Darkest Hour Team
    That new Enfield looks great. Looking forward to seeing what you guys can put together!

Beta Tester
    Been waiting for this all week! Looking awesome so far! It's great to see that we are getting so much info so early on in development

Maps: Poteau Ambush(Razorneck) Southern Oosterbeek(RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Ludwig View Post
    ...Get something wrong with the Germans in this game, and you will hear from Ernst Hoffman and Bierman...

Nice, I was hoping the dev blog went on as planned. Good stuff, looking forward to more.

Great stuff guys

Nice to see and hear how things are going

Love the new format and layout, and thanks for your continued efforts to keep us in the loop. I was fully expecting another black and silver monstrosity

One serious question I have though, why did you decide to go with the 1942 Longbranch model for your Enfield? No doubt there were some still kicking around in '44, but the most prevalent models in Normandy would have been either the Maltby or BSA from '43 or '44, especially with the Canadian troops. I can tell you used the Longbranch due to the button-type cocker on the bolt vs. the grooved block-type cocker used on later production models. The version in DH is a '43 model.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jackboot Games Staff
    The button type cocker is not necessarily a hallmark of the Long Branch. My buddy has a 1942 Long Branch with the block style cocker. However, you are correct that the button type is more associated with early war models of the No.4, in GENERAL, rather than with specific makers or arms factories. I think when all is said and done, you'll see the block style in game as well.

Beta Tester
    how many vertices is the Enfield using and is it set for quads or triangles? reason I ask.
    I'm getting into the 3d modelling and I'm wondering what constraints your going with to produce working models.

something i'm hoping to get into the old game. Once I low poly it, rig it, make animations, get an interior drivers model, sound from somewhere? blah blah etc

Last edited by coldstreameruk; 08-27-2012 at 03:58 PM.

hello all,

I'm new to the forums and DH, but I can say that I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm very interested in wwII and especially in the 4th candian Armoured Division and the British 49th Infantry Division. I'm eagerly following this blog. Best regards from Belgium.

Awesome, I can't wait for more content, time to start getting the word out.

You guys should probably add the game theme somewhere on the main page instead of in Sams profile link.